Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is the student travel card worth buying?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Yes, if you're paying for silly return tickets in the train station. If you use the online booking it's cheaper than the reduced student fares.

The net rates are only cheaper if you're travelling to certain train stations - Cork, Limerick, Galway, Waterford, Mayo, Westport, Belfast, Sligo etc, and only on specific trains. Those specific trains are the ones that get the least traffic, and therefore they can afford to reduce the seat prices, in order to fill the seats - they're usually the ones in the middle of the day or late at night when the trains are half-empty.

Regardless of the web offers they currently have in place, if you want to go to Limerick Junction return from Heuston, for example, the full web fare is €54, Farecard (16-25 railcard) is €40, and the student rate is €35 - you'll get the same fares in the station. If you want to go to Thurles, Portlaoise, Portarlington, Kildare, Newbridge etc. the web is the same price as the station. I only use these stations as examples because they're ones I'm familiar with travelling to. While I'm not adverse to getting a one way ticket to Limerick and getting off in Limerick Junction when I can get the €15 one-way ticket (usually the 8 or 9 pm train on a Friday, which is only reasonable if you're not waiting for hours - time is money after all - in order to get cheaper fares), it's €29 the other way, a net loss of €4 per return journey if you have a farecard (as I do) or €9 per return journey if you have a student travel card.

The student card would save you the most of that in one journey.

I found the student travel cards to be one of the best things I ever got in college, and if I could get another one I would.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 azMark09

Can any1 tell me why it usually costs me 11.40 from newbridge to carlow, an wit d student travel card it was 15.00 an i asked about it and was told i havta get a weeks return to get a discount... but i dont use d train all week, i think dats fairly stupid, no point in havin it....

an also does any1 kno why JJ kavanagh bus is 40.00 a week from kildare an from naas it costs 27.00 a week, an kildare is closer... it doesnt make any sense lol

Advertisement