Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

McDonagh Plays 2 Movies

Options
  • 02-09-2009 10:23pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭

Just saw the Beauty Queen of Leenane and it got me thinking, would any of McDonagh's plays work as films ?:confused:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

Probably not. I saw The Cripple of Inisman at last year's theatre festival, while it was enjoyable it has about the same amount of depth as a Father Ted episode, not meaty enough for the big screen.

TBH I'm very suspicious of dramatists that play up the stage paddy stereotype like McDonagh and Marina Carr

On the other hand Conor McPherson would adapt very nicely to film. Very nicely indeed. Fleshed out characters with real pathologies, contemporary and all told through a compelling plot. Forget about McDonagh!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 62 ✭✭kellyreilly

McPherson's, The Weir ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Theatrebuff

In Bruges. !!!!!!!!!!

I do not accept that either Ms Carr ot Mr Mc Donagh pertray the Paddy image. Both too dark and satirical for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,123 ✭✭✭Spore

Dark doesn't mean 'Deep' i.e. I think their characters are very two dimensional.

oh and I hated In Bruges with a vengence

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,641 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Spore wrote: »
    oh and I hated In Bruges with a vengence

Wow, I didnt realise they made a sequel! :p

• Advertisement
Advertisement