Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Recommend me a good horror!

• 02-09-2009 10:51pm

I'm looking to purchase a new horror game. I need something that will frighten me and unnerve me. Played and completed Dead Space and absolutely loved it.

So come on, you boardsie's, help terrify me!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭karlog

Dead Rising

Edit: Oh and Left 4 dead is pretty good too.

Any game with the word 'dead' in it is a winner

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Dead or Alive? Maybe if you are afraid of boobies.

I'd recommend Bioshock if you haven't played it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭Donnelly117

condemned. the first one tho cause the second one is ****

• Registered Users Posts: 3,707 ✭✭✭CR 7

Yeah, Bioshock if you scare easily. Oh, and play in the dark with the sound turned right up, preferably with surround speakers, and as big a tv as possible.;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,126 ✭✭✭✭calex71

was gonna say dead space when i saw the title, but you have already played it , i loved it too.

Bucking the trend here, while agreeing with the other suggestions, Fallout 3 is pretty unnerving , throwing you into a post apocalyptic wasteland with plenty of mutants and beasties and weirdos, if the the death claws dont make you run everytime you see them for fear of being mauled i dont know what will :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Rev. Kitchen

Sing star .. scared the crap out of me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,330 ✭✭✭niallon

Hannah Montana....terrifying!

No the afformentioned Bioshock and Dead Rising both have a seriously jarring quality to them, very good recommendations. I will say though that Dead Space tops the polls in this category and you'll be hard pressed to be beat it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,645 ✭✭✭✭duploelabs

You can get it as an xbox original game, and yes the graphics and controls by todays standards are terrible. But Silent Hill 2 is as close to a perfect horror game as you can get

Played both Dead Rising and Bioshock. Loved Bioshock, Dead Rising not so much really. Don't know why.

Is there nothing else?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭dazftw

Condemned scariest game ive ever played. This is at night in the dark also! Best way to play!

Network with your people: https://www.builtinireland.ie/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 36 Mad Leprechaun

Try Alone In The Dark.Can have a scary moment or two if you scare easily.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,787 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Try Alone In The Dark.Can have a scary moment or two if you scare easily.

And some scary bugs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

duploelabs wrote: »
    You can get it as an xbox original game, and yes the graphics and controls by todays standards are terrible. But Silent Hill 2 is as close to a perfect horror game as you can get

Couldnt agree more :D

Loved Condemned and have to agree that the second one was below the par set by the first!

Hated Alone in the Dark. The camera angels just hurt my head too much to warrant me even giving it half a decent try and not to even mention the ridiculously stupid driving section.

Really enjoyed F.E.A.R but not too sure about purchasing the 2nd one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,147 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

I think of a few scary games for the original xbox, but none for the 360. Silent Hill:Homecoming is meant to be scary, try that.

It's sorta odd that, isn't it? Never really got into the Silent Hill franchise much for some reason

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

Never got into Silent Hill either really. Deadspace is the definitive Xbox360 horror game, you'd be hard pressed to beat it but I'd recommend

FEAR, Resident Evil 5 and Bioshock.

silvine wrote: »
    Never got into Silent Hill either really. Deadspace is the definitive Xbox360 horror game, you'd be hard pressed to beat it but I'd recommend

FEAR, Resident Evil 5 and Bioshock.

Resident Evil 5? Really? I played the demo and thought it was terrible and definately put me off buying the full version. I'm doing a google search for the scariest xbox 360 games but they all seem to be from a few years back and aren't much good to me.

Just looking back at videos of Dead Space on youtube. Played it back at our family home on our 42-inch HDTV and.. wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,738 ✭✭✭djkeogh

as is said already Dead Space is the Daddy at the moment. I found Condemned to be quite freaky but takes awhile to get used to the controls of the game. Defo worth giving a go though. F.E.A.R 2 has some nice supernatural moments and some nice gunplay in it as well. Overall not the best game around but defo worth a playthrough

silvine wrote: »
    Resident Evil 5.

Whaaa??? Maybe the first two resident evils were a bit creepy with good shocks, particularly the 'dog thru the window' bit in #2 i think. But 4 and 5 were about as scary as putting on a hat

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,647 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Even though i love my xbox and survival horror games, no game has ever topped the experience of playing Silent Hill 2 on the PS2. Especially when it was hooked up to decent speakers.

faceman wrote: »
    Even though i love my xbox and survival horror games, no game has ever topped the experience of playing Silent Hill 2 on the PS2. Especially when it was hooked up to decent speakers.

you can get SH2 for the xbox and it'll be compatible for your 360

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭LD 50

F.E.A.R 2 was pretty good. The Demo is fairly creepy. Download it and give it a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,419 ✭✭✭allanb49

Project zero i think was creepy you had the camera to capture the spirits. freaky

I've actually been keeping my eye out for that but can't find it anywhere. Does indeed look very creepy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,626 ✭✭✭Gamer Bhoy 89

Definitly go for FEAR 2, its a very twisted game keeps u on edge, i shat myself playing that game almost literally lol

Never really got into FEAR 1 im thinking of picking it up so i can tie in with the story of the game.

But yea FEAR 2 is awesome and very creepy

Try the demo at least

I'd call it one of the biggest mindf*cks ive ever played haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,661 ✭✭✭TheChrisD

Seeing as you've already played most of the scary games I know of, not sure there's much else I can suggest. Although now I may need to investigate some of the other suggestiong myself.
    calex71 wrote: »
    Bucking the trend here, while agreeing with the other suggestions, Fallout 3 is pretty unnerving , throwing you into a post apocalyptic wasteland with plenty of mutants and beasties and weirdos, if the the death claws dont make you run everytime you see them for fear of being mauled i dont know what will :D

Two words: Dart. Gun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,223 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

scariest game i have played on the 360 is beautiful katamari i shudder every time i remember lol! being serious deadspace is awesome and a cheap game now!!!

scariest game i have played on the 360 is beautiful katamari i shudder every time i remember lol! being serious deadspace is awesome and a cheap game now!!!

I saw it for 20euro in Gamestop - was half tempted to pick it up again just for the sake of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

Not sure if it was out on the 360 or the original xbox, by Call of Cthulhu - Dark Corners of the Earth really scared the sh*t out of me. I had to take a 3 day break from it because I couldn't work up the courage to open one of the doors. :o

Advertisement