Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UPC Phone Service

• 02-09-2009 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭

Ive searched the thread and still cant find me answer!

I'm thinking of getting the 10MB Bundle with UPC.

I currently have a phone in the Hall and one in the back of the house, one being a wired phone.

My TV is not near the phone.

If I change what does the phone plug into, my ntl TV box or something else.

If I turn off the TV equipment at night is the phone turned off.

Does UPC put the phone in the same place as the existing phone.

What options do I have to keep the existing second phone working.

Many thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Firstly you don't have to get a phone line from UPC if you don't want. You can continue to just use your expensive Eircom phone line or cancel that and just use a mobile.

If you do decide to get UPC's phone service (which is good value) then UPC will give you a digital cordless phone which you will plug into the UPC modem/wireless router that they will install for your broadband.

UPC will install the modem next to where the TV comes in or if you prefer they can run a new cable to another location such as a study or bedroom.

Your old phones and phone points won't work anymore once you cancel Eircom. However the digital cordless phone should work fine around the house. If you like you should be able to buy additional cordless handsets for around the house.

There isn't really any advantage to keeping the old phones, digital cordless phones typically work very well and are much more convenient. However if you'd like, you could do a DIY job and disconnect your internal home phone wiring from the Eircom point where it comes into the house and connect it to the UPC modem so that your old phones and phone points will work. However you'll need to do that yourself, I don't think the UPC engineer will do it.

Hope that helps clear up things.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

The UPC phone sockets are not the standard issue RJ-11's. They're a slightly different shape, and a tad smaller. I'm not sure if there is a converter available like there is to convert those retarded UK phone points to RJ-11, you'll have to ask UPC.

You will need to keep the modem on if you wish to use the phone, and of course, keep the phone's base unit plugged in, too.

If you're dead set on having a landline, UPC is 80% cheaper than Eircom if you get TV, Broadband, and Phone together, at €5 a month for line rental. I'm not too familiar with the call costs or call bundles available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,333 ✭✭✭dunworth1

DECEiFER wrote: »
    The UPC phone sockets are not the standard issue RJ-11's. They're a slightly different shape, and a tad smaller. I'm not sure if there is a converter available like there is to convert those retarded UK phone points to RJ-11, you'll have to ask UPC.

You will need to keep the modem on if you wish to use the phone, and of course, keep the phone's base unit plugged in, too.

If you're dead set on having a landline, UPC is 80% cheaper than Eircom if you get TV, Broadband, and Phone together, at €5 a month for line rental. I'm not too familiar with the call costs or call bundles available.

the phone scokets on the back of my modem are the same size as the eircom ones

dunworth1 wrote: »
    the phone scokets on the back of my modem are the same size as the eircom ones
    What modem are you using?

What modem are you using?

the Scientific Atlanta one

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,866 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

According to the manual here:
    http://www.upc.ie/pdf/4755_UPC_WiFi_Brochure.pdf

they are standard RJ11 ports, perhaps you have an older modem?

bk wrote: »
    According to the manual here:
    http://www.upc.ie/pdf/4755_UPC_WiFi_Brochure.pdf

they are standard RJ11 ports, perhaps you have an older modem?
    It could be that. I'm not near it now, it's actually not mine. I'll get a look at it this weekend and report back with the model number.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

i've got the scientific atlanta modem too and the two phone sockets on the back are RJ11.

i did have a problem with my old DECT phone not working though and i was told by other posters here that it was probably because it was not compatible with a digital line (bought about 4 years ago from argos). several posters said that newer dect phones work fine though and should be labelled as digital line compatible.

i don't know about oler wired phones though as i don't have any to test with.

I mean, I could have sworn the plug and sockets were of different size. This is pissing me off now, and I can't get to the modem for another look until Saturday or Sunday. Ah, the nag!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I mean, I could have sworn the plug and sockets were of different size. This is pissing me off now, and I can't get to the modem for another look until Saturday or Sunday. Ah, the nag!

Maybe you were comparing RJ11 and RJ45 (ethernet).

The RJ11 is smaller, but the same shape as, the RJ45.

These things happen sometimes ..... :D

• Advertisement

Oh no, definitely not. I know the difference between the two.

even looking at it upside down? :p

weird thing is, i figured i'd be able to find pics of the back of it online, but i can only find ones from the front.

begs the question of what is it trying to hide??? :D

if you like, i can put you out of your misery when i get home this afternoon and post apic of the back of mine.

vibe666 wrote: »
    weird thing is, i figured i'd be able to find pics of the back of it online, but i can only find ones from the front.

begs the question of what is it trying to hide??? :D

There are pictures of the back of it in the manual I linked to above.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

The Telephone ports are light
    grey and are labelled 1 and 2.
    Note: For single line
    Telephone service, connect
    Telephone cable to RJ-11 port

labelled Port 1.

They seem to be RJ11 :D

• Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭Kingkong

Thanks for the above lads,

Just to be clear. The ntl equipment supplied would be
    • Cordless phone
    • Digital TV box
    • A broadand modem

What is the phone connected too?

Has anyone ungraded from their TV service to Broadband and phone. Is it the same price or does upc screw you coz ur an existing customer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

the phone connects to the modem,
    i had upc until i moved in february and tbh the phone was a disaster, half the time if i tried ring it i would get a ring tone on my mobile but nothin on the phone and if i tried to call out from the phone it was as if it wasnt connected, only way to fix it was to restart the modem

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭johnfás

If you want more than 1 phone (charged at 35 euro per extra handset) do all the phones have to be connected to a UPC connection in the house or can the other phones be installed wherever you want? We have 2 UPC connections in our house (both downstairs) but we have Eircom phones upstairs. Can we install extra UPC cordless phones upstairs without additional wiring etc?

they would have to be connected to the upc modem otherwise they wouldnt work

dunworth1 wrote: »
    they would have to be connected to the upc modem otherwise they wouldnt work

Some phone services allow one phone to work wirelessly off another. For example, I have two cordless telephones, but only one base station connected to my Eircom phoneline. The other is just plugged into a charger cradle and sends a signal to the base station. It would be helpful if UPC sold phones which could work like this but unfortunate that they seem not to - would be a stumbling block to me joining them.

Cheers though.

johnfás wrote: »
    If you want more than 1 phone (charged at 35 euro per extra handset) do all the phones have to be connected to a UPC connection in the house or can the other phones be installed wherever you want? We have 2 UPC connections in our house (both downstairs) but we have Eircom phones upstairs. Can we install extra UPC cordless phones upstairs without additional wiring etc?
    i've been told that you can pair additional dect phones with your basestation, but i've never tried.

you'd probably want to make sure they were still from the same company and same range. ine are siemens gigaset A160 handsets, so i'd imagine more of those could be paired to the base station or similar gigaset models.

BUT, why bring up a thread from 2009 about it?

• Advertisement

vibe666 wrote: »
    BUT, why bring up a thread from 2009 about it?

Because google brought me to it. Why open a new one on a relatively similar subject?

Cheers for the info!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 652 ✭✭✭jeckle

I have two Siemens cordless phones that were originally supplied by Eircom registered to the base of my UPC phone. One is about eight or nine years old - a Siemens 5010 & the other is a 7010.

The bases for the extra two now just act as chargers. All three work fine without any problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭thefishone

Got the phone from UPC,just one,the siemans and bought two more online,all
    works from the one base station,just have different charging stations in each
    room.
    As far as I am aware,all DECT phones will work with DECT base stations,although
    some stations are limited in the amount of phones that can be registered,for instance,the Siemans base station I have will only register 4 phones.

Advertisement