Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Show On Earth

Options
  • 03-09-2009 12:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭

Didn't know this was out yet - it's on special offer in Waterstones (or at least in Waterstones on Good Bookshop St.) for less than a tenner.

I've read a few extracts online, and the first chapter - it seems very good.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

It's out:eek::eek:

Eh so is this just lOOK THERE EVIDENCE!!!

Or the wonders of evolution??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

I thought this was a week from now?

* Breaks open piggy back

Actually at only a tenner I could probably stretch to getting a copy for Kevin Myers too.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,371 ✭✭✭✭Zillah

marco_polo wrote: »
    Actually at only a tenner I could probably stretch to getting a copy for Kevin Myers too.

Why bother, he's probably already written a response to it. Hell, I could have written his response by now.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

But what the emminent high priest of Atheism fails to realise is; this is not the greatest show on Earth. That honour goes to Fawlty Towers. With Dawkins having so much trouble grasping such a simple concept it is small wonder his book fails to ignite a sense of wonderment.

Not far off I'll bet.

Right Extracts are good,

What saddens me though is that this book is somewhat necessary in todays modern society :(

Anyhu, bedtime for me, eyes are burning :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

aww deadly, will have to drop into Waterstones, thanks for the heads up !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Overblood

Savage Cabbage.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,788 ✭✭✭MrPudding

Sweet. Will have it tomorrow, god bless you amazon... er I mean um, way to go amazon!

MrP

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Mad Hatter - to clarify - this book is out and available in Waterstones?

All stores or just the one you were in?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Dades wrote: »
    Mad Hatter - to clarify - this book is out and available in Waterstones?

All stores or just the one you were in?

The book is out, yes, and I got it in Waterstones on...er...can never remember the name of the street, but it's around the corner from Nassau St., and is the street with Waterstones and Hodges & Figgis on it (hence Good Bookshop Street).

Dawkins posted on Twitter that the book is out "today", so I have a funny feeling WS took it out of the package early.

• Advertisement

Malty_T wrote: »
    Right Extracts are good,

What saddens me though is that this book is somewhat necessary in todays modern society :(

Anyhu, bedtime for me, eyes are burning :(

Maybe, but this book is just what I need, I think. I've read some of The Selfish Gene and found it interesting but heavy; GSOE is very straightforward, and even has illustrations and photos.

Just back from Waterstones on Dawson St - I can confirm they have stacks of them (less one) at half-price... €16.99 reduced to €8.50!

I'm wondering what the heck is all that about - but happy days nonetheless. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Just back from Waterstones on Dawson St - I can confirm they have stacks of them (less one) at half-price... €16.99 reduced to €8.50!

I'm wondering what the heck is all that about - but happy days nonetheless. :)

Is it not just another book about evolution?

He's done about 8 or 9 already.

There's a name for people who read one book about where we came from and call it a day.

There's a name for people who read one book about where we came from and call it a day.

There's also a name for people who have to keep reading about the same thing which forms their world view :-)

I have read a few of his books already. Including 'The Ancestors Tale' which took a jolly while.

I am just wondering is this just more belief massaging for the Dawkins' brigade.

I find your attitude odd, and clearly prompted by a dislike of Dawkins.

I haven't read a book concerning evolution since the Blind Watchmaker many years ago. Time and alcohol have wiped out most of what I read, and undoubtedly the science has been updated since it was published.

The Blind Watchmaker (1986) -- > The Greatest Show On Earth (2009)

Hardly fanboyism to decide to read Dawkins' latest given he is one of the most prominent writers in the realm of popular biology. Or is Dawkins just sooooo 2007?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,848 ✭✭✭✭Zombrex

Is it not just another book about evolution?

He's done about 8 or 9 already.

Would you prefer he wrote a book about Lego?

Wicknight wrote: »

Well now, Lego happens to be the most ingenious toy in the world :)
    That's gonna be my book:p

I find your attitude odd, and clearly prompted by a dislike of Dawkins.
    I think he's a brilliant writer but I think it's sad that all he writes about is evolution.
    I haven't read a book concerning evolution since the Blind Watchmaker many years ago. Time and alcohol have wiped out most of what I read, and undoubtedly the science has been updated since it was published.

The Blind Watchmaker (1986) -- > The Greatest Show On Earth (2009)

Hardly fanboyism to decide to read Dawkins' latest given he is one of the most prominent writers in the realm of popular biology. Or is Dawkins just sooooo 2007?
    I read Ancestor's Tale, The Selfish Gene, Blind WatchMaker and River out of Eden in the last 2 years. I also started another:

"Unweaving the Rainbow: Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder" hoping it might be about some other aspects of Science but it was just the same old stuff about DNA, evolution and fossils.

If someone keeps saying the same thing - does it not get a bit monotonous after a while?

Other science writers, e.g. Carl Sagan would write about a wider range of topics. It's a pity Dawkins doesn't do that because he's a fantastic writer.

Wicknight wrote: »

There's a good analogy with lego and atoms in Sophie's World so I am sure he has brought that into his writing somewhere.

• Advertisement

I think he's a brilliant writer but I think it's sad that all he writes about is evolution.

I read Ancestor's Tale, The Selfish Gene, Blind WatchMaker and River out of Eden in the last 2 years. I also started another:

"Unweaving the Rainbow: Science, Delusion and the Appetite for Wonder" hoping it might be about some other aspects of Science but it was just the same old stuff about DNA, evolution and fossils.

If someone keeps saying the same thing - does it not get a bit monotonous after a while?

Other science writers, e.g. Carl Sagan would write about a wider range of topics. It's a pity Dawkins doesn't do that because he's a fantastic writer.

I'm with Tim on this one, Dawkins is a brilliant individual but his books seem to be trotting over the same ground again and again. I want something new, you know, about recent discoveries/theories in biology.

OT,
    Yeah that lego analogy about Lego, is simply brilliant,
    even if it only goes as far as protons,neutrons and electrons ....

I read Ancestor's Tale, The Selfish Gene, Blind WatchMaker and River out of Eden in the last 2 years...
    Well then you'd be forgiven for not reading his latest. I've been reading Sci-Fi for the last two years. :)
    Only if you've read them.
    I don't think Dawkins has the charisma to carry it off like CS could, tbh. He too much of a frustrated scientist rather than a populariser. Carl Sagan also had the imagination.

Well then you'd be forgiven for not reading his latest. I've been reading Sci-Fi for the last two years. :)
    Sci - fi = yuke.
    Don't know how anyone can read this genre. Glorified psuedo-science.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

You may find his previous book to be on a topic other than evolution..... the God Delusion......

Anyways got my copy in Eason for €18... Not quite the same bargain as Waterstones :p That is unless you consider €8 + €2 + €2 (bus fare each way) + €5 for the effort of having to go into town, and the lack of being able to read it tonight :D

= €17

Pretty much the same ;)

Sci - fi = yuke.
    There are loads of types of sci-fi.

Have you read (not watched) "Contact" by Carl Sagan?

You just might like it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Dave! wrote: »
    You may find his previous book to be on a topic other than evolution..... the God Delusion......

Anyways got my copy in Eason for €18... Not quite the same bargain as Waterstones :p That is unless you consider €8 + €2 + €2 (bus fare each way) + €5 for the effort of having to go into town, and the lack of being able to read it tonight :D

= €17

Pretty much the same ;)

8 Euro + ten minute walk home = 10 Euro extra for beer and ample reading time :P

Sci - fi = yuke.

Seems like a gross generalisation to me. I don't think it's wise to bracket any genre under a single umbrella.

Also, you assume that the science is the point.

Malty_T wrote: »
    Well now, Lego happens to be the most ingenious toy in the world :)
    That's gonna be my book:p

The Selfish 4-dot Brick?

• Registered Users Posts: 391 ✭✭Naz_st

Sci - fi = yuke.

No, it's not pseudo-science, it's science fiction - the clue is in the name!
    There are loads of types of sci-fi.

Have you read (not watched) "Contact" by Carl Sagan?

You just might like it.

Cracking book. Way better than the movie.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

Do you realise that his profession is in evolutionary biology? I would think that Evolution is a fairly logical topic for an evolutionary biologist to write about. He could write about other topics but is probably sensible enough to not write outside of his area of expertise for want of avoiding looking foolish.

Advertisement