Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Greatest Show On Earth

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

So... Anyone finished the new book yet?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Think it'll be a while before I do. Finding it a bit dry tbh.

Would reading Iain M Banks' Excession when I got it and methinks I'll go back to that if things don't get a bit more lively pronto.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

So... Anyone finished the new book yet?

Page 216.
    Keeping the rest for two long flights later this week.

Anyone read the conversation between RD and Wendy Wright in chapter 7? I got frustrated just reading it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,981 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

eightyfish wrote: »
    Page 216.
    Keeping the rest for two long flights later this week.

Anyone read the conversation between RD and Wendy Wright in chapter 7? I got frustrated just reading it.

On page 100. Same auld stuff. Anecdotes about different species and their evolution, notes on critical thinking and a bit of slagging of creationists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

On page 100. Same auld stuff. Anecdotes about different species and their evolution, notes on critical thinking and a bit of slagging of creationists.
    zzzzzzzz

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,312 ✭✭✭Daftendirekt

Not a great first impression then. Anyone want to give it a recommendation, or is this one that'd be better left alone?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

I'm actually really enjoying it. I find his style very lucid and easy-to-read. It's taught me a lot I didn't know before.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,237 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Sci - fi = yuke.
    Don't know how anyone can read this genre. Glorified psuedo-science.

eeemmmmmm i think you'll find most people read science fiction for the story lines, characters, themes etc kind of like regular fiction :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Not a great first impression then. Anyone want to give it a recommendation, or is this one that'd be better left alone?

I'm enjoying it also. It's good to get back to reading Dawkins talking about science rather than religion. It's artistically illustrated throughout, something which has been missing from the other books I've read. Have some travelling to do this week so will let let ye know more when finished.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Holy Sh!t*

Dawkins review on newscientist has generated some controversy.

Personally, though I agree: how can you get through to someone if you openly insult them?

May pick this up someday, too busy now to do so :(

*Hear it like this from 8 seconds onwards [NSFW and prefably use head phones:p]

• Advertisement
Advertisement