Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ufo's seen in dublin again ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10 2c

I saw this last night (24th) over Rathmines @9.30 coming at some speed from the west, it seemed quite high, at first i thought it was a plane on fire as it seem to be a orange fiery ball. It was as bright as when the international space flies over, it stopped and hovered over the east for about five mins, then went south growing dimmer, it then came back from that direction twice doing slow circles over the south east of the city, then there was a flash and it was gone.

I took a pic with a hi res camera (21.mp), it still only a glowing red ball, looking very much like a chinese lantern when you right zoom in on the digital file, but it wasn't. Lanterns don't fly around in different directions/speeds for 20 mins, disappear reappear...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

2c wrote: »
    I saw this last night (24th) over Rathmines @9.30 coming at some speed from the west, it seemed quite high, at first i thought it was a plane on fire as it seem to be a orange fiery ball. It was as bright as when the international space flies over, it stopped and hovered over the east for about five mins, then went south growing dimmer, it then came back from that direction twice doing slow circles over the south east of the city, then there was a flash and it was gone.

I took a pic with a hi res camera (21.mp), it still only a glowing red ball, looking very much like a chinese lantern when you right zoom in on the digital file, but it wasn't. Lanterns don't fly around in different directions/speeds for 20 mins, disappear reappear...
    Can you post the image here?

I will post it tomorrow when i get back to work, wanna have a look at it in some proper image software see can i make anything out

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭okioffice84

. Lanterns don't fly around in different directions/speeds for 20 mins

The direction and speed of a lantern will be governed by the wind speed and direction, which change all the time.

Sure i appreciate that, Halloween and all, but i've seen enough to know when something is flying in a strange motion, last night there was no wind, obviously i can't speak for the upper currents, this light was coming at speed from the west and then stopped hovering over the east and started doing large circles over the south east city, disappearing and reappearing twice for about 20 mins. someone must have saw it because at stages it was the brightest thing in the sky. this was controlled motion, not some lantern flaffing around on a current, just telling ya what me and my friend saw...

• Advertisement

Sure i appreciate that, Halloween and all, but i've seen enough to know when something is flying in a strange motion, last night there was no wind, obviously i can't speak for the upper currents, this light was coming at speed from the west and then stopped hovering over the east and started doing large circles over the south east city, disappearing and reappearing twice for about 20 mins. someone must have saw it because at stages it was the brightest thing in the sky. this was controlled motion, not some lantern flaffing around on a current, just telling ya what me and my friend saw...
    I can see why you would say its was controlled moment but based on the angle you view the object in the sky and depending on upper winds and the speeds/directions of these winds an object can seem to be moving with control or even seem to be hovering, I've seen it happen before many a times. Also the disappearing and appearing can be explained by the object going behind clouds.

With all that said its still impossible to say 100% percent without video or photographs what it may have been.

Very true impossible to say what it was, last night when i saw it, was a bright clear calm cloudless night with a good harvest moon to see any cloud in the east/south, things that speed up and slow down abruptly are generally controlled. I am very used to see air traffic etc over the city, all am saying it was not acting in normal way. I've thought about lanterns, currents, viewing perspectives, aliens, the next election.. etc. I think is worth asking did anyone else see it! I'll post a photo, i should imagine it won't be that conclusive either, it's a fiery ball in the night sky

Hi Here's the pics of that weird light flying around from last night, these are enchanced in to the pixel level from a great distance...

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Hi Here's the pics of that weird light flying around from last night, these are enchanced in to the pixel level from a great distance...

Dude that seriously looks like a chinese lantern to me!!! Sorry!

i know what you mean, but it had a odd trajectorys and speed wise it was too fast! If you have seen the iss pass over it was similar in speed and brightness and then slowed to a stop! anyways there's the pic!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

i know what you mean, but it had a odd trajectorys and speed wise it was too fast! If you have seen the iss pass over it was similar in speed and brightness and then slowed to a stop! anyways there's the pic!

Many thanks for posting the pics anyway! They were well taken! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭murrayp4

Definitely lanterns...cool pics though...love the stars in the background.

Thanks for that, are the original? If not can you post the original please?

Hi all! thats what i got! those are extreme crops down from the original. the original is in RAW format file, can send it on to anyone if they want and are able to open it. just send a PM, Thanks for the comments! we can all sleep easy!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,616 ✭✭✭maninasia

I see Chinese lanterns where I am quite often. They can move quickly due to fast air currents, change direction due to varying direction of wind at different altititudes, can stop when wind dies down..they can also fly quite high so hard to discern what they are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,725 ✭✭✭charlemont

thankfully i can discuss these matters with my friends without getting laughed at, as all of us have seen things in the last year.

charlemont wrote: »
    thankfully i can discuss these matters with my friends without getting laughed at, as all of us have seen things in the last year.
    I hope you don't feel your being laughed at here, everyone that's seen something should be able to talk about there sighting without the fear of ridicule.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

seen something odd last night myself, i know hallow'een night, could have been anything.. but anyway, headed east towards dollymount

2 red lights travelling in formation, one slower than the other, possibly garda heli or other aircraft as it was travelling a flightpath that commercial aircraft take towards the UK. No audible noises that would relate to it. some fireworks in the background but no drone of engines or helo-blades.

The reason i thought it was odd is that it was two static red lights, close to each other but moving at different speeds. Would suggest formation flying.. Air corps maneuvers?

edit: time was about 8pm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,135 ✭✭✭TheVoodoo

seen something odd last night myself, i know hallow'een night, could have been anything.. but anyway, headed east towards dollymount

2 red lights travelling in formation, one slower than the other, possibly garda heli or other aircraft as it was travelling a flightpath that commercial aircraft take towards the UK. No audible noises that would relate to it. some fireworks in the background but no drone of engines or helo-blades.

The reason i thought it was odd is that it was two static red lights, close to each other but moving at different speeds. Would suggest formation flying.. Air corps maneuvers?

edit: time was about 8pm

Chinese lanterns. Shed loads of them all throughout the night.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,322 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Yep, sent a few of them up myself but the sky was crowded with them on Sunday.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Ziycon wrote: »
    I hope you don't feel your being laughed at here, everyone that's seen something should be able to talk about there sighting without the fear of ridicule.
    Exactly. We don't mean to sound cruel when we try and explain claims. We're just still looking for that perfect proof.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

TheVoodoo wrote: »
    Chinese lanterns. Shed loads of them all throughout the night.

seemed a bit fast for a lantern(s), also the light was solid red and travelling in a straight line, doesnt seem like it would fit that description?

then again, i've never actually seen those lanterns either :)

Advertisement