Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Call Of Duty WAW : XBL

• 03-09-2009 12:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭

Right lad's just picked this up today off a mate, as I was fed up of being left out when the lads were playing this, I usually hate these type of games but decided I'd give it a bash.

Just played a bit of multiplayer with the lads and then when they went I decided to fire up the XBL mode. Got absolutely destroyed so found a "Bootcamp" setting and had a bit more luck with that but still I'm not very good at all.

I'm looking for a few hints and tips to help me improve on the XBL mode, I don't really have an interest in the Story Mode but if it will help me improve on XBL I'll certainly give it a bash. I just want to end up being half decent on the XBL mode.

Also, when I am playing online mode sometimes an error pops up saying I don't have the maps to join this game, this happens quite frequently so do I have to unlock the maps through the Solo Campaign?

Thanks in advance for an help or advice, much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

I think playing the solo game can help you a bit as it can aid your technique and get you used to using different guns, grenades etc.

Apart from that, knowing the maps well is a good idea so practise makes perfect! Choosing guns that suit certain maps can also help.

Techniques such as jumping and dropping to the floor once an enemy starts firing are very handy and you just need to get into the habit of it because if you're faced with someone who has either the juggernaut or stopping power perks and try to take them head on, you're just gonna lose!

With regard to the maps you don't have, you can down Makin Day for free but the rest of the maps have to be paid for (800 points for each of the map packs)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,026 ✭✭✭docdolittle

I just started playing WaW too, I played CoD4 a lot so there isn't much of a learning curve. Just find a gun your comfortable with, to do this without getting destroyed in multiplayer, just start a game by yourself in a private match, get used to the controls a bit more, look around each map, get to know it a bit more. Then go online, try to stick around another person (Not too close :P ) You'll get better and enjoy the game more then.

Word of warning though... there are some uber players out there that will probably beat you regardless... You'll just have to struggle through for a few levels, then it gets fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

COD4 was my first FPS on a console and I got absolutely destroyed when I started out. Took me months to adapt to a controller, my kill death ratio still isn't good because of it. By the time WAW rolled around my basic technique had become pretty decent and even without knowing the maps I was doing quite well. Knowing the maps is vital for good scores, but starting out it's all about the basics for survival. It really is a case of practise makes perfect, and trying to learn from each death. Having a weapon that suits your style is another major factor; if you're a player that favours rush style play the mp40 is perfect, while I like to keep my distance and move fairly slowly and favour the G43.

As for jumping to avoid being killed - DON'T, bunny hopping is seriously frowned on, you're not playing Halo. Going prone is considered okay (edit.) as long as you're not doing it constantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,456 ✭✭✭Jev/N

As for jumping to avoid being killed - DON'T, bunny hopping is seriously frowned on, you're not playing Halo. Going prone is considered okay (edit.) as long as you're not doing it constantly.

I should have said keep the jumping for Old Skool Free for All

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,462 Mod ✭✭✭✭Axwell

Frowned upon by who, you? Is this your COD rules because I dont see anyone being particularly bothered by someone lying there for the whole game if they choose. If they shoot at you ya should just stand there and take it and not jump out of the way and jump around like a rabbit on speed to avoid dying?? Maybe if you jumped out of the way your ratio might be better? Or if you are for example sniping you shouldnt go prone, at least not constantly?? Seriously where do you get this idea, your a sniper in a guilly suit and they put prone in the game because you might want to lie down and avoid getting shot, its what snipers do in the real world, they lie there and wait and shoot people, someone doesnt come along during the war and go hey listen you've been lying there for about 5 mins now its not fair on the enemy i think you should get up and make it easier for them to shoot you. I would more frown upon glitchers and people under the maps than either of the things you mentioned.. :rolleyes:

As for tips, reload after every kill so you dont get caught with an empty clip, pick the right perks, use a gun like the mp40 and dont run round like a headless chicken...be cautious

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Why, what are they going to do? Try shoot you...Oh wait.

Play the game the way you want to play it. You're not a sheep. Its you with a gun against another guy with a gun. Its not like you would be using a glitch, thats only thing I'd really be bothered by, as its not a legitimate tactic, its just cheating. Jumping out of the way of fire isn't cheating...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,129 ✭✭✭therokerroar

Thanks for the replies lads, im on level 12 now and starting to unlock more and more things. I've heard lots about this MP40 but I'm not sure if I've unlocked it yet, could someone please clarify this for me?

How does one go about customising the weapon sets, I have the option of Custom 1-5 when I'm about to start a game but haven't a clue how to edit them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,505 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Axwell wrote: »
    Frowned upon by who, you? Is this your COD rules because I dont see anyone being particularly bothered by someone lying there for the whole game if they choose. If they shoot at you ya should just stand there and take it and not jump out of the way and jump around like a rabbit on speed to avoid dying?? Maybe if you jumped out of the way your ratio might be better? Or if you are for example sniping you shouldnt go prone, at least not constantly?? Seriously where do you get this idea, your a sniper in a guilly suit and they put prone in the game because you might want to lie down and avoid getting shot, its what snipers do in the real world, they lie there and wait and shoot people, someone doesnt come along during the war and go hey listen you've been lying there for about 5 mins now its not fair on the enemy i think you should get up and make it easier for them to shoot you. I would more frown upon glitchers and people under the maps than either of the things you mentioned.. :rolleyes:

I was referring to Belly Flopping, not sniping - the practise where a player constantly hits the floor when they run into an enemy. You will get neg repped and avoided if you resort to Bunny hopping, try it the next match and just listen to the amount of abuse you'll get. Bunny hopping is hated as it a cheap tactic and substitute for skill, kinda like the noob tube.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭silvine

My tip?

Wait till Modern Warfare 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭shanec1928

dont spray and pray

• Advertisement
Advertisement