Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Just Found a Cat? What the hell should I do?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 1:09am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 36

I was wandering around my area having a smoke and I saw a cat with its mother... the mother ran off and I thought nothing more of it.

I step outside the industrial estate next to where I live about an hour later; and there's this feckin kittie meoowing away!! the same bloody cat the size of my fist scared out of its wits! The mother shagged off and left it there.

So I'm after bringing the little thing home and it's in the kitchen now, gave it some milk and some expensive Italian ham.

I can't keep the bloody thing, the dog is going to go off his nut when he finds him.

What the hell am I going to do with him!!???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭annefitzy

tonywanda wrote: »
    I was wandering around my area having a smoke and I saw a cat with its mother... the mother ran off and I thought nothing more of it.

I step outside the industrial estate next to where I live about an hour later; and there's this feckin kittie meoowing away!! the same bloody cat the size of my fist scared out of its wits! The mother shagged off and left it there.

So I'm after bringing the little thing home and it's in the kitchen now, gave it some milk and some expensive Italian ham.

I can't keep the bloody thing, the dog is going to go off his nut when he finds him.

What Area are you in....you need to tell us so that we can advise you what to do but at least the kitten is warm for tonight,

• Registered Users Posts: 9,255 ✭✭✭anonymous_joe

tonywanda wrote: »

Plenty of dogs live with cats, so it might be possible for them to co-exist...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Don't give him any more milk or ham, you run a high risk of giving him the runs.

Grab the golden pages and go through your local shelters in the morning and find one to take him.

What colour are its eyes? If they're still blue, it's very young indeed. If they've turned a murky colour or are closer to green or brown or gold, then it's over the four-five week stage and stands a better chance of surviving.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭PinkTulips

i'm guessing if it ate the ham it's weaned and therefore over 5/6 weeks... still very young to be away from mum but not disasterous.

where are you and we can advise on local rescues and shelters.. although i think alot of them are very full atm.

for the time being put a nice soft blanket in a box and set it up somewhere quiet, put some newspaper down nearby and if you're lucky that's where it'll go toilet. Pop out and buy some kitten food and give it a small meal, and put a bowl of water down for it too.

if you could take a pic and upload it we could give you a better idea of age?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 tonywanda

I left it in the kitchen under a cushion last night. I'm in Cork on the South side.Pretty much in the country side.

Her left eye looks to be a bit swollen, Strange it was fine last night.

I'll see if I can get a picture of her!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 89 ✭✭annefitzy

Tony can you contact me I am with the Cork Animal Care Society, 021 4551781 or 087 3199016
    This kitten needs to be seen by a vet asap

Please note we dont answer blocked numbers......Also you may have to try a few times as we are very busy and may be on another call but do keep trying.
    Anne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36 tonywanda

Hey just to update. I brought the cat to the C.S.P.C.A. And it was closed/slash didn't accept cats until Sept 15th on account of an infection that was going around.

However we tried the vet next door; Who was very nice and said he would look after it!

Only by chance as well, because he was going away for lunch at the time so. Phew. I hope it's o.k. It's very friendly but my dog would have a field day with it.

Cheers for your help annefitzy! Much obliged

Advertisement