Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheapest car loan question

Options
  • 03-09-2009 1:33am
    Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭

Hi,
    over the past year I have heard numerous comments about how interest rates are at historic lows and the like. I was shocked tonight when I went to look for a car loan to find that a 15k loan over 3 years is at 11.2% interest in one bank. What is the best way of borrowing for a car. I have the cash to buy it from savings,....would I be better to use that and save the repayments I would have been paying, had I borrowed the money, into a decent rate savings account.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

The interest rates you hear about being low are generally stuff such as mortgages. Personal lending doesn't always feel the benefit of such reductions.

I would say buy it from cash and save the repayments, personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Walker34

Why so, if I pay in cash and save the potential repayments in a saying account, I get to keep the 11.5% rather than the banks.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

Pretty much, yes.

Plus one of the basic rules of personal finance - never get into debt if you can avoid it.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Walker34

Or as an old boy used say to me when I was struggling to pay my rent in the last recession in 83 "Never, a borrower or lender of money be". Now that might have worked in the 50`s.........but at this point in history, GET real!

Advertisement