Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Postbank credit card

Options
  • 03-09-2009 1:35am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 19

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody else here has applied and got the new postbank/mbna credit card? I applied and got one in the post without having to send in any documentation whatsoever which i think is ridiculous! Is it a similar story with the ryanair one as well? Must be an mbna thing.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

I'm pretty sure it's how MBNA do things - they check on the basis of ICB, bank details, electoral rolls etc.

I'm guessing as they technically operate out of the UK they don't feel obliged to be as stringent about things as the institutes based here are being subject to the Irish money laundering legislation.

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭gagalina

that's weird - I had to send in all the documentation (proof of address, 3 months bank statements, etc...) and in the end they refused to give me a credit card and apparently they are not obliged to tell why they refused the card.
    So quite amazed you got one that easily...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 cmul100

So was I. I did get a phone call from someone in mbna saying that they had checked my credit history and that there shouldn't be a problem. And the card came a week later. Maybe they randomly choose who to ask for documentation and you just got unlucky.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,133 ✭✭✭Slice

gagalina wrote: »
    that's weird - I had to send in all the documentation (proof of address, 3 months bank statements, etc...) and in the end they refused to give me a credit card and apparently they are not obliged to tell why they refused the card.

They are obliged to tell you why if you just requested the information under the freedom of information act. However, financial institutions are generally quite reluctant to disclose their credit scoring criteria I find.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,924 ✭✭✭✭BuffyBot

that's weird - I had to send in all the documentation (proof of address, 3 months bank statements, etc...)

If they cannot verify a customer in other ways, I'm sure they would fall back on the more traditional route.
    They are obliged to tell you why if you just requested the information under the freedom of information act. However, financial institutions are generally quite reluctant to disclose their credit scoring criteria I find.

The Freedom of Information Act does not apply to banks.

You may be thinking of Data Protection Act, which allows you a copy of the data the banks hold on you - but that data won't nessecarily have a big "This is why this person was declined for a card" stamped ac

• Advertisement
Advertisement