Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

• 03-09-2009 1:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

Hey Guys.

Names Flood, i'm 22 and I'm a complete newbie to the game. Haven't a clue about cameras or lenses or anything like that.

I'd love to be able to take good photos.

I fell in love with the Canon 400d when a friend of mine bought one. I played around with it for a few min and said i have to have one, even though i hadn't a clue how to use it.

So went to my local Harvey Norman and instead of a 400d, i saw the 450d and fell even more inlove with that. So i bought it.

I'm starting a Night Course for beginners on Digital Photography to try get myself into the swing and terminolgy of things.

Just wondering is there anyone here that can also help me and teach me how to do things over the net.

I'll mostly be taking pictures of cars since i own a car enthuasist website (IrishCruisers.com for anyone who's interested), and pictures of scenery. Love my drives out up into the mountains etc....

Now i haven't god a lot of money, so all i have is the camera. The standard lense ( i think its 18mm to 55mm? Not sure of make or spec). Bought a second battery as its always handy to have a spare battery and a small case for it.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 MrcCars

welcome man im on other car sites too and do be in mondello abit check my site www.mmoorephotos.webs.com ... another thing to keep in mind is a tripod ..can get them in argos for 25 euro . great price for someone starting . i only started 2-3 months ago

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭dizbo

I have a cheap tripod from my camcorder. Its grand (if its not windy out) haha

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

Welcome to our little but expensive part of the universe, check out the various stickies & charter.
    dizbo wrote:
    and pictures of scenery.
    we call these Landscapes that's your first lesson in terminology :D

As for shooting cars there's a few car/motorbike enthuasists knocking around.

As you're doing a course you'll have pretty much all the terminology sorted soon. The most important thing any of us could reccommend is to get out there and start shooting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

Best thing to do in terms of learning online is to post your queries on the forum and you'll benefit from the wealth of knowledge (ahem!) that is freely given from regular around these parts.

Welcome and good luck with your photographic journey wherever that may take you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Welcome :)

Where abouts you from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭Anouilh

Hello.

You'll get plenty of help here and as for a new lens, the Sigma 70-300mm dg apo macro is a well regarded one for hobbists:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=61724583

I'm living in Gorey, Wexford. Anyone else around??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,657 ✭✭✭trishw78

I believe the people closest to you are the Waterford/Kilkenny/Wicklow People Check Photobuddies thread and add your name

Anyone know of a good second hand lense for around the 100 mark. Just want to have a second lense for the camera. Longshot or wide. doesn't really matter, just want an other lense to mess about with.

Anyone got any or reccommend one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭pixbyjohn

dizbo wrote: »
    Anyone know of a good second hand lense for around the 100 mark. Just want to have a second lense for the camera. Longshot or wide. doesn't really matter, just want an other lense to mess about with.

Keep your eye on the photography for sale section on adverts.ie

http://www.adverts.ie/showcat.php?cat=51
    Good luck with your new hobby

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 842 ✭✭✭daycent

You can get a new canon 50mm f1.8 for 100 ish. Any canon photographer would be mad not to have one, especially starting out. Have a look on ebay.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 78 ✭✭mick-skyline

dtd flood?? hows things. as above the 50mm is a class lens to have, im debating getting one too but have the 20mm 2.8 to use for now. best tip i can give and have gotten is practice makes perfect, teh more you shoot the better youll be, also if someone says your pic is crap dont get defensive just ask in what way and how would they improve it, alot of the lads on here are good for it when pics are put up for C&C.... best of luck, might see ya at japfest ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,393 ✭✭✭AnCatDubh

If you want to go telephoto and zoom then the Sigma 70-300 is an excellent entry level telephoto zoom. Price second hand should be around the €100 mark. Best usage = outdoors on bright day. One of the best bangs for the bucks that you can get. Try adverts.ie or ebay.ie - Do a search on the forum, there are a number of threads on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,057 ✭✭✭kjt

Make sure to pop along to some photo walks too, you could learn a few tricks from a few people on it. Some great shots from everybody on the last one!!

Advertisement