Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance quotes

Options
  • 03-09-2009 2:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭

I was recently posting on a thread here about how you should always shop around when you're renewing insurance as your current insurer will always give you a high premiem ( maybe just a little lower than the previous one) as they assume you will be staying with them.
    I tried this over the last week and was amazed with the results.
    €400 was my renewal quote
    I must have rang between 10-15 companies and the quotes varied from
    €600 - €1000.
    So do people really get cheaper insurance by frequently changing companies or what because i'm a little lost right now

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

What are you getting insured?

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭davylee

motor insurance
    van

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭soc

Well, my insurance was recently due for renewal.

I always make the effort to shop around come renewal (as much as a pain in the a$$ it is!) - what's worse is my car is not your usual car.... it's an import AND LHD... so insurance companies like to try and fleece you.

I decided to approach my existing insurance company and see what was the best they could do with my premium (that has €200 excess). After waiting for a callback I was told the maximum they would reduce my car insurance would be €10 :eek:

Needless to say I promptly got on the blower to see what other prices I could get. I got in contact with 2 insurance brokers. And for the same coverage I was getting with my current insurance provider:
    * one broker came back with a price that was €700 cheaper with €2k excess and NCB protection
    * other broker came back with a price €1k cheaper and €200 excess and NCB protection :cool:

Needless to say, I decided to go for the €1k cheaper option, because for the cheap price, I was getting far more than the other 'cheaper' insurance policy.

So moral to the story - definitely shop around, and definitely include some brokers to source some insurance quotes for you as well! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

while I promote shopping around and I do it myself, saved €400 last renewal time, insurance in general is on the up because they reckon that more people claim in times of recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭spartan1

I have had two at fault accidents in the last 3 years, ie Im screwed when it comes to Insurance really. So last years pemium was 2200. this years was quoted at 1800, so I really wasnt going for this again, so I went on to that website that claims to "just log on and save money" and be garra I did.
    Got it for 1100 I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,289 ✭✭✭Galadriel

My insurance was €550 last year, just got my renewal and it's now €610. I got an online quote from another broker for €340, big difference!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭smelltheglove

I changed last year too, after 5 years with one insurance company I shopped around and got a price for almost half. My renewal was around 680 but I got the insurance for less than 400! I also got a quote of I think 320 or 330 from 123 but I went with tesco as they had the specific option for my work, photographer mobile I think it was so as if I had an accident whilst travelling from one shoot location to the next then I it could not be argued against as being a commercial trip since 123 just had the photographer option, if ya get me.

Anyway I kinda wish I went with the 123 due to a little hassle at the minute but glad I didnt stay with the company I had been loyal to for so long.

• Company Representative Posts: 103 Verified rep MovieExtras.ie: Derek

My last renewal was about 550 through a broker, found a quote for 482 through another broker with the same insurance company. Said this to my broker and they matched it, stayed with them. Definitely worthwhile ringing around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 542 ✭✭✭milly4ever

are the price comparison websites like comparethemarket.com not available in the south?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

milly4ever wrote: »
    are the price comparison websites like comparethemarket.com not available in the south?

There are practically no price comparison sites, for any product or service, in Ireland.

• Advertisement
Advertisement