Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wilsons Prom

Options
  • 03-09-2009 2:46am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Anyone ever been? 4 of us thinking of going for a weekend sometime soon. Anyone have any advice on where we should stay or what we should do or bring?

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

Accomodation : http://www.promcountry.com.au/gay-and-lesbian-friendly

Churches: http://www.promcountry.com.au/churches , Father Mackay does an excellent sermon:)

Leongatha Daffodil Festival in September.

Also:
    goose1981givesthebestcuddles.jpg

Hope this helps :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,130 ✭✭✭mel.b

Anyone ever been? 4 of us thinking of going for a weekend sometime soon. Anyone have any advice on where we should stay or what we should do or bring?

Cheers!

Wilson's Prom is gorgeous and you will love it.

The most popular place to stay is in the camp sites at Tidal River. Depending on the time of year though it is very popular and the camp sites are fully booked months in advance so it worth giving the national parks office there a call to ensure there are camp sites available. There are also a few cabins there if you don't have camping gear.
    The other closest alternative would actually be outside the park boundries, staying a B & B or similar in and around Yanakie which is just outside the park boundries. There are also a number of b & b's and properties along the Meeniyan-Promontory Rd.

I would advise on stocking up on all food, alcohol, supplies etc as there is only a small store at Tidal River and prices are expensive as you would expect. Best to stock up in Melb or Leogatha/Wonthaggi rather than even Yanakie as again there's only a small store there. Also make sure you have enough petrol as the petrol at Tidal River is expensive also.

Once you reach the park boundry it's still a decent drive to reach Tidal River (about 30min) however it is a beautiful, scenic drive. There is a spot not too far inside the boundries that you can see emus. It always amazes me to see emus there, as I never think of them as living in Victoria but also thought of them as a more of a desert animal for some reason. Also if you are camping, make sure you leave all your food in the car as the wombats are very aggressive towards food and will enter your tent to get it. I had a wombat break into my tent and get a large packet of crisps one time!

Don't forget to stop in at Squeaky beach where the sand is so white and pure that it makes a 'squeak' sound as you walk along it. There's also a nice walk from Tidal River to the next beach over (can't think of the name at the moment) that has some fantastic views. The Prom is really full of bush walks but you really need to be prepared and experienced for them.
    If you do go swimming a lot of the beaches aren't patrolled so you need to make sure you know what you are doing/can read the surf conditions. I think Tidal River is the only patrolled beach and then only at certain times of the year. Kayaking in the Derby river is fun if you have access to Kayaks as is playing beach cricket/football/frisbee at Tidal River. Sometimes I think there are surf schools organised - there is a notice board at the shop in Tidal River that has other organised activities/companies on it, but you could get the info when you call the parks people. Also go for a night walk and see what wildlife you can spot and if it's a clear night, go for a long walk on the beach at Tidal River - the sky is amazing and it's very romantic.

Also, a lot of the Prom was affected by a large bushfire last year. Don't let this put you off - in a way you are lucky as you will get to see the Prom in a very different light, but it's equally beautiful.

Finally, once you enter the park boundries, make sure you don't speed. Firstly there is a lot of wildlife around, especially at dawn and dusk but I have also witnessed police pulling people over for speeding!

I love the Prom (just in case you can't tell!) and l used to go camping there every year when I lived in the area (Wonthaggi). Other places to check out on the way there and back are Inverloch, a cute beachside town, take the coastal route between Inverloch and Wonthaggi (the Bunarong marine park), stop off at the beach at Powlett River, walk along the beach at Kilcunda and have lunch or dinner at the pub at Kilcunda (affectionally callled Killy Pub), then of course there is Phillip Island if you haven't already been there. As you head down the highway from Melbourne, just past Lang Lang you can decide which way you are going to go - via Leongatha or Wonthaggi & Inverloch. There's only about 10km difference in the two routes, so you can do one on the way down and the other on the way back.

HTH,
    Mel.b

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 brianbroken

Thank you so much for your over generous reply! Really appreciate you taking the time to write such a detailed description and give such good advice!

Cant wait now !!! have it booked for this weekend, everywhere seemed booked out at such late notice so we ended up just booking a hostel in Foster and will drive up to the prom from there:
    http://www.yha.com.au/hostels/details.cfm?hostelid=236

Kayaking sounds like an excellent suggestion! must look into that.

Thanks again!

Brian

Advertisement