Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Recommend a small pet please

Options
  • 03-09-2009 3:14am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Were planning on getting a puppy but all has fallen through:-( maybe next year.

I'd like to get a small pet - rabbit, hamster, guinea pig, gerbil something along those lines. I have 2 kids 12 and 9 - kind and careful. We had a cat for 17 years who had to be pts a few months ago.

Since I was a kid I always wanted a dwarf lop-eared rabbit. But I've read that rabbits don't actually make really good pets - they don't like interaction/human contact. Is this true?
    (Also heard they're very smelly - true?)

Can anyone recommend a pet that likes handling/cuddling and interaction generally pls? Preferably not a reptile pls.

I am prepared to look after it well and give it a kind home. Any advice? Also sources of good info on caring for same pet?

Any allergy advice/restrictions? Are some better (more hypoallergenic) than others or are all fluffy and potentially allergy magnets?

Also should we get 2 to keep each other company? Or is this too too tricky to get 2 of same sex? I've heard lots of stories of people buying 2 'female' rabbits/hamsters and later discovering they weren't both female afterall.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Guinea pigs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 974 ✭✭✭paultf

Check out this link on www.irishdogs.ie

http://www.irishdogs.ie/Forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=12759&title=hi

someone has a rabbit and two guinea pigs that need to be rehomed.

(post is on www.irishdogs.ie in Forum, Introductions, All Creatures great and small - post by user JenB)

• Registered Users Posts: 530 ✭✭✭joyce2009

hi there, we have a hamster and i couldn't recommend them more for a first pet . They are easy to care for lovely to hold and cuddle,,cheap and easy. I dont recommend buying 2 sybirian(ordinary )as they will fight but dwarf hamster dont mind the company.the start up cage you will get for around 30 euro and up,,and you can get hamster balls and tunnels for them to play in..
    On the other hand I also have 2 rats which are great fun,,It is more expensive to start up as you need a big enough cage and you have to buy 2 at least as they HATE being alone,,,I have to say i do prefer the rats as they are so much more intelligent than the poor old hamster and they can be thought to use a little tray and even walk on a lead. They love interaction and are so gentle(hamster may give a nip if you pook them when asleep).
    If you are starting out though the hamster is a great first,,,,,best of luck with waht you choose,,,joyce

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭LisaO

We have recently added a rabbit to our family & I think if you get the right one they are a fantastic pet. Our little one came via a friends unexpected litter. The bonus there was that the rabbit kittens were handled daily from a young age and so are extremely friendly and at ease with being picked up & held. In fact our little fella (we think!) looks for attention as soon as you go into the room. We keep him inside, with an outside run which he spends time in most days. He is trained to use a litter tray - only took a couple of days. As long as you clean the litter tray out every day, there is little or no smell. With rabbits, it is the pee that smells, rather than the poo! Some advocate keeping 2 for company, we were advised that one is OK but needs lots or regular & gentle attention, which he gets. In fact my daughter (11yo) is rarely seen without him! I think that perhaps if you keep 2 together, they will bond more closely with each other, so may not need (or welcome) human contact. Would also recommend neutering, even if only keeping one, as it makes for a happier, healthier more contented bun.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

Insomniakk wrote: »
    Were planning on getting a puppy but all has fallen through:-( maybe next year.

I'd like to get a small pet - rabbit, hamster, guinea pig, gerbil something along those lines. I have 2 kids 12 and 9 - kind and careful. We had a cat for 17 years who had to be pts a few months ago.

Since I was a kid I always wanted a dwarf lop-eared rabbit. But I've read that rabbits don't actually make really good pets - they don't like interaction/human contact. Is this true?
    (Also heard they're very smelly - true?)

Can anyone recommend a pet that likes handling/cuddling and interaction generally pls? Preferably not a reptile pls.

I am prepared to look after it well and give it a kind home. Any advice? Also sources of good info on caring for same pet?

Any allergy advice/restrictions? Are some better (more hypoallergenic) than others or are all fluffy and potentially allergy magnets?

Also should we get 2 to keep each other company? Or is this too too tricky to get 2 of same sex? I've heard lots of stories of people buying 2 'female' rabbits/hamsters and later discovering they weren't both female afterall.

I had a lop eared rabbit just the regular type and I found him to be great.

I managed to toilet train mine in the house so I had it in every evening with me. Took so much time though not an easy task. Gathering poops which are like raisins and putting in the litter tray. He eventally started to use the tray.

There are 6 in my family. The rabbit would go to anyone if I wasn't there but as soon as I walked in it would be straight over on my lap.

He was so soft and fluffy. Not at all smelly. Even its poo is dry so doesn't cause any kind of stink.

I had to clean his outdoor hutch every couple of evenings but it was a two minute job.

I haven't had a rabbit for years. I have a dog now but I found my rabbit was a great pet. I used to get such enjoyment out of it hopping around the house.

I had a ginea pig but it stank. I was almost relieved when it passed away (Sorry Ralph) but I know where the pig word came from.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 18,605 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kimbot

Rabbits can be great pets.

I have 2 at home, the male is brilliant, he loves getting rubs and loves coming into the couch to us.
    The female is still a bit wild but she is getting better and likes coming into the couch but doesn't like been handled too much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

jonny24ie wrote: »
    Rabbits can be great pets.

I have 2 at home, the male is brilliant, he loves getting rubs and loves coming into the couch to us.
    The female is still a bit wild but she is getting better and likes coming into the couch but doesn't like been handled too much.

Ah that's so sweet.

They are fab.

They are fab to cuddle.

They are also very clean

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭steel_spine

Rats make great pets, despite many people's initial reservations about 'the tails' and such.
    They're active, curious,friendly, clean and trainable. Also less nocturnal than hamsters and such. Sometimes jut sitting watching them at their toys and climb around is entertaining for hours.
    If you have kids then rats have the bonus of being a bit more robust than some other rodent/small pets and can put up with being handled more.
    I've had friends who were either actually terrified of or 'eww' about rats - they're all mad about my 4 now! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 142 ✭✭MoonDancer256

Insomniakk wrote: »

Any particular reason you don't get another cat? Shelters are overloaded with them, especially at this time of year. I have 6 foster kittens myself, and I know others who have 20+ to foster!!

If you aren't keen on going the cat route again, then I would throw in a vote for a pair of rats. They're great little pets, good for kids, just do make sure you get a same sex pair :) Usually pretty obvious with rats, the males are very obviously male!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Insomniakk

Thanks a million guys for all your help and advice!

• Advertisement
Advertisement