Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should Turbo be banned at our Ranbats?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 3:47am
    Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭

As per Kirby's request, after derailing the negative edge thread we need our own dedicated turbo bashing thread.

Anyway the question is, do you think Turbo should be banned from our future Inferno Ranbats?.

Do you think Turbo usage should be banned from our future tournaments 26 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 26 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

I vote no. Its part of the official stick and pad for a reason. It doesn't give anyone an advantage. There is no move you can do with turbo...that you can't do without it. But thats just my .02 cents. I'm probably in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,005 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Yes.

Turbo gives an unfair advantage to anyone who uses it.

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

There is no move you can do with a pre-program stick that you can't do without but thats not the point. It makes the move easier to preform and takes away from the skill required to do a move.

It may be on the official stick/pad but the vast majority of players don't use the official stick/pad and the majority that do use the official stick/pad don't use the turbo feature either because they know it can gives them an advantage.

If there was no advantage gained then why is it banned from the major international tournaments?

Azza wrote: »
    There is no move you can't do with a pre-program stick that you can do without but thats not the point.

Your right, its not. The official stick doesn't come with a pre-programmable stick. It does come with turbo! :p

If there was no advantage gained then why is it banned from the major international tournaments?

Thats faulty logic. Women were banned from voting once. :pac:

I've started practicing without it anyway as I have a feeling the way this vote is going to go. Total pain tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Absolutely it should be banned.

• Advertisement

Turbo is a standard feature on 3rd party pads and sticks. Most players will be playing the game outside of tournaments where the advantage doesn't matter, its designed as just a fun feature for casuals players to to play around with. Its a check list feature that could not be left out of the MadCatz products or people would accuse it of having less features than its competitors products.
    Kirby wrote:
    Thats faulty logic. Women were banned from voting once.

Em thats avoiding the question. Are you telling me all the guys who organize these major tournaments don't know what they are doing? That they have been wrong for years. How come there has been no mass player petitions to change this?
    Kirby wrote:
    I've started practicing without it anyway as I have a feeling the way this vote is going to go. Total pain tbh.

You don't need to be psychic to know how this poll is going go. You know the reasons why people are against turbo usage and they are genuine. Its not blaming hardware for lack or skill, its a desire to have everybody on a level playing field as possible.

Its no different to binding throwing or Focus to a single button. Its a personal preference. You talk about a level playing field but how is allowing one person to throw with one button.....fair on the people throwing with two buttons? Pressing one button for PPP or KKK? With the extra buttons on the TE, You are pressing the button once, and the computer is inputting three button presses for you. How is this any different from turbo? it's not, it works on the same principle. You press the button once, and several more come out.
    You know the reasons why people are against turbo usage and they are genuine. .

I also know the reasons why people are against PPP and KKK buttons......they are genuine too. There is no difference apart from the fact that more people use PPP and KK than use turbo. There is logic to what I'm saying here man, you know there is. I wonder if there was a poll on banning Three Punch buttons or binding multiple commands to one button how that would go. I don't wonder, I already know. People would defend the way they play the game and vote accordingly.

Its a double standard Azza and you know it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

i think it should be allowed in our locals, as kirbys using the slowest character ever and on pad, it will just put him into a bad habbit when it comes to tournaments and we can beat him ! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭A-Trak

Totally agree with a ban on turbo. Imagine mapping Hondas fierce hand slap to turbo? That would mean catching anyone with a poke could be stupidly easy to link to a fierce hundred hand slap - literally with the press of one button.

Now thats not fair.

Also Kirby your point that mapping KKK or PPP to a button is comparable to using turbo,yet you use it yourself?
    Kirby wrote: »
    Personally, I don't need to use it because I use Turbo on my Three button punch

So if one is to be banned, both are to banned?
    Stick players would adapt fairly fast to this as a rule I would imagine, but this would make using ultra's on a pad near impossible, even a fight pad I would imagine would it not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

I'm amazed this hasn't been banned already. As for button binding the only ones allowed should be PPP and KKK and even then they should only be available to pad players.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Yeah... BAN the turbo button. I don't care about your reasoning Kirby, using that monstrosity of a feature gives you an unfair advantage...

/sarcasm

Woah! Déjà vu :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 Shotopunx

I can't believe this is up for debate at all. **** turbo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭Sagat06

Yeah turbo should be banned... it removes the need for any skill or timing with linking as for poking to put pressure on just means holding a button down.

As for Kirbys argument with button binding... well... this shouldnt be allowed either in any shape not even the 3 ppp or kkk.

Anyway Kirby your much more skillful than needing such cheap tools ;)

As arcade real as possible is what I try to get from a game and all these additions just take away from it!

• Registered Users Posts: 551 ✭✭✭Monkeyto

Ban please. Turbo isn't allowed in any other tournaments in the world, no reason it should be allowed here. Casuals fine cause people are dicking about, but not in Rankng Battles or any tournaments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

To be honest kirby it will just give you bad habits for when you go to any other tournament. I think if we also want to be taken seriously we should abide by the rules set down by every other major tournament. Even if there's no advantage then those should be good enough reasons. I myself am trying to get out of the habit of using the 3xP and K buttons.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I still think you guys are confusing turbo (where the pad interrupts the signal repeatedly to produce multiple button presses) with programmable controllers (where the pad repeats a set loop of instructions on command) in your minds.

IMHO, no clear advantage can be gained from using Turbo IN STREET FIGHTER IV. Nor, AFAIK, in Tekken or VF.

Hence the "No" vote, even if I've never used Turbo myself.

No disrespect Kiki but as Kirby uses turbo and his opinion is -

basically, i dont have to worry about timing the button press. Just hold it down and mash out the motion. the game will do the rest.

I think that says it all!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,070 ✭✭✭Placebo

kirbys pad receives move signals from justin wong ! no wonder hes been winning !

Sagat06 wrote: »
    No disrespect Kiki but as Kirby uses turbo and his opinion is -

basically, i dont have to worry about timing the button press. Just hold it down and mash out the motion. the game will do the rest.

I think that says it all!!

And taken way out of context. Its not a magical "I win!" button. Go into training and try it yourself. notice you left out the paragraph where i gave an example, like dashing inputting the motion, and waiting for Sim's dash to end. Or empty jumping and inputting the ultra....which you can do with any control scheme. You can do both without turbo. It was examples of not needed negative edge. Way out of context man.

Tbh this poll is ridiculous. 90% of the people here don't use it, so ofcourse they are going to vote no. It doesnt effect their game. If I like orange juice, and 5 people like apple juice and there is a vote banning one....what do you think is going to happen? I'm not using honda slap or electricity, and sim doesn't have any 1 frame combo links. All these points are moot. Sim is slow as sin. The only thing this is going to do is throw off my timing for using normals and force me to re-learn how I play and its a right pain in the arse. The option is there for everyone to use.....I cant understand what the fuss is about.

If somebody told you your stick and settings were banned, you would be annoyed too. If binding was banned, and it was default settings only, half of you would be suffering in the training lab and causing bloody murder on here. bah.

Alright Kirby I'm not trying to bash on you here but thats what I took from your statement.

But the fact remains chaining moves is much easier with turbo.

My experience of turbo is trying to clear hard trials, if I got stuck I'd crack on the turbo and bam done!!

• Advertisement

No double standard here Kirby and you know it. Normally button binding is not allowed in fighting but as its an in game feature of Street Fighter 4 with regards taunts, throws, and Focus Attacks (to cater for pad users on consoles no doubt) then I'd be very reluctant to see it banned.

Turbo is external to the game.

The reason no one really uses it from the get go is because they know that it gives them an advantage. They know its removes some of the skill required to play the game. People know its banned in tournaments.

You have already said it helps you, I already found it makes chains even easier. There is an advantage. If a players get a Turbo that registers an input every frame then links combos no matter how tough become a joke.

Take our games. One of the key areas you hurt me in is slide to throw. 60-70% of the time you get a throw after close range slide. Sometimes I tech, sometime I get c.lk xx scissors off and sometimes I throw you but the majority of time you get the throw in. If I had a fast enough turbo it would suddenly change that to you 100% of the time eating 4xc.lk xx m.sk/ex.sk after Sim's slide which have all got minus frames on hit. I would not need to time this it all. So instead of you doing throw damage to me, I'd be consistently getting damage on you plus building more meter and adding a fair bit of stun to you as well. That would a massive change. Of course I could do that combo with out such an option but it would be far far tougher to do so with strict timing.

With the official sticks/pads the advantage might be quite small for Sim but if its allowed to be used by one player then everyone would have to be allowed and the advantage gained by other characters could be considerable higher than what a Dhalsim player would get.

You also again avoiding the question if there is no advantage gained by Turbo why is banned at all major fighting tournaments.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,387 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Breaking news: Kirby the turbo user Exposed!

(I'm joking in case I kick up a **** storm).

No double standard here Kirby and you know it. Normally button binding is not allowed in fighting but as its an in game feature of Street Fighter 4 with regards taunts, throws, and Focus Attacks (to cater for pad users on consoles no doubt) then I'd be very reluctant to see it banned.

Turbo is external to the game.

The reason no one really uses it from the get go is because they know that it gives them an advantage. They know its removes some of the skill required to play the game. People know its banned in tournaments.

You have already said it helps you, I already found it makes chains even easier. There is an advantage. If a players get a Turbo that registers an input every frame then links combos no matter how tough become a joke.

Take our games. One of the key areas you hurt me in is slide to throw. 60-70% of the time you get a throw after close range slide. Sometimes I tech, sometime I get c.lk xx scissors off and sometimes I throw you but the majority of time you get the throw in. If I had a fast enough turbo it would suddenly change that to you 100% of the time eating 4xc.lk xx m.sk/ex.sk after Sim's slide which have all got minus frames on hit. I would not need to time this it all. So instead of you doing throw damage to me, I'd be consistently getting damage on you plus building more meter and adding a fair bit of stun to you as well. That would a massive change. Of course I could do that combo with out such an option but it would be far far tougher to do so with strict timing.

With the official sticks/pads the advantage might be quite small for Sim but if its allowed to be used by one player then everyone would have to be allowed and the advantage gained by other characters could be considerable higher than what a Dhalsim player would get.

You also again avoiding the question if there is no advantage gained by Turbo why is banned at all major fighting tournaments.

I haven't avoided it, you have just missed the answer. I thought my "women were banned from voting once" answer was succinct enough.

Just because a bunch of fans declare a bunch of rules for their tournement, doesn't make it gospel. SBO banned pads Azza. Most japanese tourneys do. does that mean we should? But the Japanese do it!11!.

I seem to remember a certain tourney that we all laughed at Akuma being banned. And hasnt that been changed too?

Dramatic battle "banned" custom bindings. Now, because lots of people wanted to use it, they ignored the rule.

See what I'm getting at? Surely you must. All these tourneys tailor their rules to their players. If enough people want a rule that wearing a purple hat while dancing on a pogo stick, it would happen. Using PPP and KKK is no different in principal to turbo. Its taking one input, and adding another 2 inputs to it with one button press. Its just that more people use this, so its not "banned". This is hypocrisy man.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,005 ✭✭✭Creature

Ok I vote we kill ban Kirby!

Kirby - Why do you use turbo?

Because that what i learned on. It was a feature on the pad, I turned it on. Had I known the uproar it would create, obviously I wouldnt have but hindsight is 20/20.

I dont feel that I should have to relearn the way I play considering it is no different to binding 2 buttons moves to one button.....or people using PPP or KKK. You press the button once, the computer adds a couple more.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Kirby wrote: »
    Its taking one input, and adding another 2 inputs to it with one button press. Its just that more people use this, so its not "banned". This is hypocrisy man.

no it's not, in the very post you quoted Azza pointed out that PPP and KKK bindings are available in the game itself, whereas turbo is not. Note: I don't use PPP or KKK bindings or any other custom bindings though I have an 8-button stick, so I'm not arguing for them just because I use them or whatever (edit: were there a vote and people are against custom binds I'd happily ban them too).

In COD4, there's no upper limit to how fast you can fire the pistol, and you can get custom controllers which turbo fire it so you can unload the entire magazine at once. By your logic this should be allowed as well?

As I've posted before I don't think your particular use of turbo gives you a huge advantage but I want it banned on principle. It's a pity for you but I really don't think it'll take you that long to readjust if you only use it for that one situation.

For the record, as someone with a turbo feature on their stick, I would've never thought of using it at tourneys. I assumed this was already banned at our tournaments like every other decent tournament and I'm surprised that this thread has even appeared.

The extra button bindings are to help pad players from carrying out an awkward button press. The way you use turbo gives you a timing and execution advantage. Also it's banned in every major tournament.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    The extra button bindings are to help pad players from carrying out an awkward button press. The way you use turbo gives you a timing and execution advantage. Also it's banned in every major tournament.

Exactly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

Also, reversal timings in SF4 are extremely easy compared to pretty much every other SF game ever. If we were to hold an ST tournament, you could use turbo get get reversals out extremely easily, whereas it takes quite a lot of skill in terms of your execution consistency to pull them off regularly without turbo.

edit: You posted yourself in the other thread that you "don't need to worry about timing" or something along those lines (not sure of the exact quote) due to the turbo function. How can you post this and then claim there's no execution advantage?

Advertisement