Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK Independence Party to become involved in the No campaign

Options
12346»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Incidently, he is longer leader of UKIP - he stood down on Saturday to concentrate on my political work in the EU Parliament.

I'm sure it's a typo but I do wonder?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 106 ✭✭free to prosper

I want to hear David Begg, the 150k per year union rep, apologise for his
    blatant racist use of the term 'anglo saxon'

Funny isn't it, that it's the west brits who vote for lisbon in South Dublin.

What irony.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

What irony.

Ï find it amusing that you get so offended about the term 'anglo saxon' while using 'west brit'' in the same sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

marco_polo wrote: »
    Ï find it amusing that you get so offended about the term 'anglo saxon' while using 'west brit'' in the same sentence.

Even better, it's followed by "what irony".

amused,
    Scofflaw

What irony.

Donegal, the most Euro sceptic county, returned a West Brit IPP MP in 1918, who took his seat in Westminster.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

K-9 wrote: »
    Donegal, the most Euro sceptic county, returned a West Brit IPP MP in 1918, who took his seat in Westminster.

I wonder should you have finished that sentence...'What irony'?

meglome wrote: »
    I wonder should you have finished that sentence...'What irony'?

Nah, too obvious!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0909/breaking45.htm

Lies lies and more lies. He threw immigration into the ring as well at one stage.
    JASON MICHAEL
    The leader of the UK Independence Party (UKIP) has today claimed that ratification of the Lisbon treaty will see Ireland lose its independence to a European super-state that will benefit career politicians and have unlimited powers over sensitive issues such as abortion and euthnasia.

Mr Farage, speaking on RTÉ's Today With Pat Kenny , said clarifications secured by Ireland since the last vote were not legally binding and "frankly, not worth the paper they are written on".

marco_polo wrote: »
    http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/breaking/2009/0909/breaking45.htm

Lies lies and more lies. He threw immigration into the ring as well at one stage.

Never thought anybody could be more unpopular than Sarkozy "butting" into our affairs!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,759 ✭✭✭✭dlofnep

Podcast from Pat Kenny with Nigel Farage (UKIP leader) & Micheál Martin: http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2009/pc/pod-v-090909-28m17s-todaywithpatkenny.mp3

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

dlofnep wrote: »
    Podcast from Pat Kenny with Nigel Farage (UKIP leader) & Micheál Martin: http://www.rte.ie/podcasts/2009/pc/pod-v-090909-28m17s-todaywithpatkenny.mp3

First off the bat:

They rebranded the constitution as the lisbon treaty 'without changing any of the content at all'

What a lying sack of sh*t.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

O'Morris wrote: »
    I'd advise you to retract that before a moderator sees it. The pro-Lisbon moderators don't take kindly to people telling lies.

The UKIP never described the Irish as "Peasants, priests, and pixies" and you know it.
    Not for you to be saying that. Leave the mod to do the modding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

lol hopefully the media will ignore them now they've shown the crap they hope to talk.

thebman wrote: »
    lol hopefully the media will ignore them now they've shown the crap they hope to talk.

Why would you want that? I think they are doing sterling work.

* I'll get me coat

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,957 ✭✭✭Euro_Kraut

Found an interesting letter written in a UKIP puplibation by the chairman of the North Lancashire Branch.
    (see: http://e-ukip-home.blogspot.com/2007/06/ukip-confusion-over-good-friday.html)
    Fred McGlade, Chairman of UKIP North Lancashire Branch, wrote in the letters page of the latest edition of the UKIP journal 'Independence' (page 24, issue number 70, May 2007):

"This so-called "Good Friday" agreement, nothing more than a surrender to the IRA, has led us to the sight of Ian Paisley sitting a few feet from Gerry Adams apparently reacing an agreement over power sharing in the province. This was, in my opinion, pitiful. Adams, as always making a point, wore an Easter Lily commemorating the 1916 subversive hooliganism inflicted on a few back streets of Dublin. He is subtle as a rash or impetigo and considerable nastier.

The referendum to be held at Easter 2016 will see the end of Ulster as we know it and the completion of an act of treachery on the people of Northern Ireland. It now seems nothing stands in the way of the destruction of the lives, culture and beliefs of a group of British subjects whose only crime was loyalty. These are sad times which we will live to regret."

While one letter a policy does not make, it does give us a insight to the thinking of active members of the party and their attitude to Ireland.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

One last thing, been opposed to free movement of people doesn't make you racist, it makes you opposed to the free movement of people. I wish people would learn the meaning of racism, although i suppose it suits their need to band it around to stop debate happening.

maybe not racist but xenophobic

and opposed to the very core value of EU, hell their whole reason to exist is to withdraw UK from EU, and now it seems they want to drag Ireland down with them

no ****ing thanks, we seen what a "Union" with Britain leads to

What would you and the other Irish have to say

about them wanting to make all nationalists swear allegiance to the queen and putting up borders between the 6 counties?

also theres a book on them here, can be mostly read free
    http://books.google.ie/books?id=My7bPb1XnVIC&printsec=frontcover#v=onepage&q=&f=false

• Closed Accounts Posts: 619 ✭✭✭FutureTaoiseach

Actually, Nigel Farage claimed on Drivetime (Radio 1) when this first came to light in recent weeks that this is a "Europe for Freedom and Democracy" (EFD) European Parliament Group campaign, not a UKIP one. The context has to be understood. FF, FG and Labour openly admit they are getting funding from their European Parliament groups to help fund their yes campaigns. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Actually, Nigel Farage claimed on Drivetime (Radio 1) when this first came to light in recent weeks that this is a "Europe for Freedom and Democracy" (EFD) European Parliament Group campaign, not a UKIP one. The context has to be understood. FF, FG and Labour openly admit they are getting funding from their European Parliament groups to help fund their yes campaigns. What's sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander.

Do they indeed? Source please.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Scofflaw wrote: »
    Do they indeed? Source please.

cordially,
    Scofflaw
    Actually wait. It's September 3rd. Here: Go to 10:47. He was debating with Lucinda Creighton.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

that this is a "Europe for Freedom and Democracy" (EFD) European Parliament Group campaign, not a UKIP one.

DO EFD have an elected MEP from Ireland?

• Advertisement

BlitzKrieg wrote: »
    DO EFD have an elected MEP from Ireland?
    Nope.

Nope.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe_of_Freedom_and_Democracy

68% of EFD members are from UKIP ....

and none of them are from Ireland...

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Europe_of_Freedom_and_Democracy

68% of EFD members are from UKIP ....

and none of them are from Ireland...
    And the problem with that is what exactly?

once again so

who do they represent in this country?

talk about "unelected" "elites" no? ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 27,645 ✭✭✭✭nesf

The problem is that this a vote on altering the Irish constitution and that this is a matter for the Irish people. It's one thing for European groups that contain Irish MEPs to be involved in some way but quite another for groups that have no connections to Ireland to be getting involved. The UKIP has no mandate in Ireland and as such has absolutely no reason to act in Ireland's best interests.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,685 ✭✭✭✭BlitzKrieg

It's one thing for European groups that contain Irish MEPs to be involved in some way but quite another for groups that have no connections to Ireland to be getting involved.

Labour make it no secret that they are a member of PES in their posters and flyers.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,007 ✭✭✭Moriarty

Actually wait. It's September 3rd. Here: Go to 10:47. He was debating with Lucinda Creighton.

Maybe I'm missing something, but all I heard there was a claim by UKIP that other EU groups are using funds in the campaign. There was no 'freely admitting' from FF, FG or Labour. Linking to someone else repeating the same claim you made isn't support for your claim..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭gerrydonnelly

I'm a little surprised that UKIP are getting involved in Irish politics, considering that they are really just the BNP (British National Party) for posh people and disaffected Tories who think that the Tory party has become too left wing.
    They want Britain to withdraw from the EU but are quite happy to help themselves to the salaries and expenses that go with sitting in that parliament (typical hypocritical politicians).

I'd have thought that their anti-immigration policies and xenophobia would have precluded them from any contact with the Irish, but I suppose you have right wing parties over there too.

Their grandparents were probably the sort who ran boarding houses or digs and put notices in their windows saying "No Irish, Blacks or Dogs". It's not just the title of John Lyndon's book but actually was real in the 1950's when my dad came over to work here.

Moriarty wrote: »
    Maybe I'm missing something, but all I heard there was a claim by UKIP that other EU groups are using funds in the campaign. There was no 'freely admitting' from FF, FG or Labour. Linking to someone else repeating the same claim you made isn't support for your claim..

Ah - thought so.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bustertherat

Euro_Kraut wrote: »
    ''the referendum to be held at Easter 2016''

is there gonna be a referendum on N.I in 2016??

Advertisement