Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice needed!

Options
  • 03-09-2009 3:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm currently taking a gap year between school and college. I am going to the UK for university next September. I plan to live at home until January to give me the chance to save up, because I want to move abroad short-term (January-July probably). I would be working while there to fund myself, hopefully in a waitressing, bar or retail job (have experience in all).

I am considering London, New York or Boston. I have American citizenship so I don't have to worry about visas. I need to know whether any landlord in one or more of these cities is likely to give me a lease for 6 months or is this very rare?

Also, am I going to be completely screwed attempting to get a job anywhere? If I work at home until January I should have around €5000-6000 to take with me. Is that enough to get started if I am jobless? Is London cheaper or more expensive to live in than New York (in general)?

Anything else I need to be told please let me know. I don't want to be stuck at home for the whole year, although obviously this would be more cost-effective! Is the whole thing a bad idea? Should I be looking at other cities? I want to go to one of the UK, USA or perhaps Canada. Please help, sorry for long post :o

Advertisement