Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glossary for greenhorns

Options
  • 03-09-2009 3:55am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

I played a lot of SF2 Turbo as a kid on the SNES but never really learned much about the actual gaming dynamics. Since taking up Sf4 last month I've looked at a few player guides and read some threads both here and on Shoryuken and I'm pretty lost when it comes to the jargon thats tossed about in the discussions... terms like frames, whiffs, crossup mk, wakeup etc are all totally foreign to me.

Is there anywhere that gives a glossary of these terms?

Also when it comes to move priority, is there anywhere that shows the moves actual coefficients or is priority just a word used to describe a more well-timed move?

Comments

• Moderators Posts: 5,557 ✭✭✭Azza

Here is a glossary with most terms used in conjunction with SF IV and other games.

http://www.eventhubs.com/guides/2007/oct/21/street-fighter-terminology-acronyms-lexicon-and-glossary-guide/

You can look up just about everything bar the priority of moves.

Knowledge of priority can only be really got by playing the game as there is a lot of variable.

Certain moves might beat another move only if they hit a certain spot on the opposing characters body.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,067 ✭✭✭L31mr0d

Azza wrote: »
    Knowledge of priority can only be really got by playing the game as there is a lot of variable.

Yeah I was told this when I started playing and thought if I read enough and watched enough videos online that I could teach myself the game and its dynamics that way. It doesn't, I learn more in 20 minutes of playing the game and losing then I do from reading FAQs and watching videos. I rewatched videos I watched before I started playing SFIV and they look completely different to me. You notice all sorts of things that you missed the first time around.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭Yreval

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

There's no such thing as a move having "priority" over another, it's all about hitboxes interacting with one another. Explained well here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFTvXXoDNRA

There is such a thing as priority when two hit boxes hit each other during there active frames. The result is either a trade or one move wins out.

I get what your saying though dreddy, a lot of the time its the position of the hit boxes and timing of moves. Good link Dreddy by the way. The video shows though that what can seem like a move out prioritizing another is merely one move hiting another move in its inactive stages (start up or recovery).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Dreddybajs wrote: »
    There's no such thing as a move having "priority" over another, it's all about hitboxes interacting with one another. Explained well here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HFTvXXoDNRA

Ah very good, was wondering when someone would make a David Sirlen style tutorial for SF4.

His Super Turbo ones were very good, they're deffo worth checking out for those who've not seen 'em.

Azza wrote: »
    There is such a thing as priority when two hit boxes hit each other during there active frames. The result is either a trade or one move wins out.

If the two active hitboxes overlap with each other it should always be a trade unless one move has invincibility, there may be a positional advantage afterwards though (just going by how I understand the mechanics of the system)

Your probably right, however certain moves will probably trade win. Out for example Zangiefs lariat done late will trade win with Bisons headstomp and set up a combo possibility. It will trade loose to an ex.headstomp.

Yeah, that's what I mean by positional advantage.

Advertisement