Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What do i need?

• 03-09-2009 4:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭

hey lovely pplz:)

ok so , i need your help, i am trying to get myself organized:o
    erm, what do people bring to college like, refill pads? laptop?..
    i have no idea what to bring.....bring the bike over too?o_o

when are ye moving up? i am starting on the 14th :D anybody esle starting on the 14th

Yours randomly

Candy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭ash xxx

Bring yourself, some paper and a pen. That should sort you, especially for registration week anyway.

If you're moving up, bringing your laptop would be good for assignments and whatnot. But don't go buying one if you don't have one, there's plenty of pc's on campus.

Yay, starting the 14th too. Hope that helps a little.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

For registration week you shouldn't really need much at all. Bring all that paperwork you need for registering, maybe a pen and some paper. But you wouldn't need anything else really that week.
    I'm not moving up until the day before lectures, no point paying rent for a week when I'm only in 2 days :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

For registration week, paper and pen is grand.

When you start on the 21st get a couple of cheap refill pads and I highly recommend one of these accordion binder thingys:

Accordion_Pink.jpg

Keeps all your modules in check!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

I'm just gonna bring me refil pad I have two of those bindy thingys. The mammy is insistant on a laptop though I don't really need one, I have tried to convince but sure, no convincing her. I'm gonna bring two Duvets too and yeah Pens and stationary and ****.

Its just a passport you need for regestration?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

CaoimH_in wrote: »
    I'm just gonna bring me refil pad I have two of those bindy thingys. The mammy is insistant on a laptop though I don't really need one, I have tried to convince but sure, no convincing her. I'm gonna bring two Duvets too and yeah Pens and stationary and ****.

Its just a passport you need for regestration?

It says you need your CAO letter that says you accepted your place, the paid bank giro and passport

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,878 ✭✭✭Rozabeez

USB keys

A warm hoodie, and your least favourite shoes.

Life saver.

Yeah, many folks cycling?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

Rozabeez wrote: »
    USB keys

This is an absolute life saver.

Seriously, invest in one, but get it cheap online, and DONT get the ones from the library.

10euro for a 256Mb key that is so awkward and clumsy it barely fits into most USB slots.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 myusernameis

is it safe enough to cycle around maynooth? i will be living in moyglare the road seems preety busy and i'm not the most experience cyclist! just wondering should i bother bringing up my bike?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

Moyglare Road is pretty busy, but it's a straight run so there's not all that much experience required as long as you know the rules of the road and can be aware of your environment while cycling you'll be fine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,487 ✭✭✭banquo

Google documents. Saved my life in college.

docs.google.com

Also, a laptop is super duper useful! Wish I'd had one and not had to rely on the iPod...

Get a pocket sized 'to do' book. Very useful. Also, remember that you need your student card to get into the pubs, so bring it out with you! A replacement costs 20 quid though, so look after it.

A Tesco clubcars will save you money. And a lasercard will help you save money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

banquo wrote: »
    Also, remember that you need your student card to get into the pubs, so bring it out with you!
    :confused:

[mam]Don't forget the essentials like nail clippers, shampoos etc.![/mam]

Your a good man Banquo. Sounds spot on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 558 ✭✭✭Kazuma

Righteo, registration!
    Don't forget ANYTHING. Seriously. You'll have to wait another week or two to get your student card =/
    So the giro thinger, passport, and proof that you accepted/were accepted into the course.
    If you're living on campus, then stuff like bedsheets, duvet, pillow, etc. Maybe kitchen stuff too, though they say that the apartments all come stocked, it's total bollocks, and you could easily get one with very little in it - for instance, I ended up buying quite a few basic things for the apartment, tin openers, new knives, bowls, etc, etc, yet for some reason they decided to charge me for kitchen stuff that was missing? :confused:
    Laptop will seriously come in handy, if you don't know how to use one, learn, ideally you should be able to check all of your course message boards with the touch of a button, don't want to have to go all the way to one of the buildings on campus looking for a computer!
    For the love of god, don't forget your phone charger =/ most awkward thing possible to leave in a county on the other side of the country!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭mickstupp

You can get free refill pads and highlighters from the Academic Advisory office (or at least you could last year, hopefully they'll still be doing it). Lovely people in there, very helpful. Also if you feel very stressed about assignments, or generally overwhelmed, definitely call in to see them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,960 ✭✭✭allandanyways

Kazuma wrote: »
    If you're living on campus, then stuff like bedsheets, duvet, pillow, etc. Maybe kitchen stuff too, though they say that the apartments all come stocked, it's total bollocks, and you could easily get one with very little in it - for instance, I ended up buying quite a few basic things for the apartment, tin openers, new knives, bowls, etc, etc,

You bought stuff for moy? Ah c'mon. Letting cereal die in a bowl in your room doesn't mean you own it!

For the commuters among us, get a locker. I'm only getting one this year after nearly breaking my back from hauling huge books and laptops and other crap in every day and hauling stuff i didnt need around all day until i went to the library.

Bring your own lunch, it's a money saver. Or befriend campus people and they'll make you food.

Don't go OTT on stationary, keep it simple. (A bit rich coming from me, but I'm going to cut back this year I swear). An A4 pad for each subject, a few pens and the necessary textbooks should do you. Keep your filing system at home, and just organise yourself at the end of the day, because commuting back and forth with a year's worth of Spanish grammar is no fun whatsoever. But that's why I'm getting a locker, because my OCD means I need to have all my notes when I'm studying, so that doesn't work for me. But it works for other people who aren't mental. :)

Do come to college, it's easier said than done when you reeeeeeeeallly couldn't be arsed getting out of bed at 7oc on a Monday morning (earlier if you don't live in Celbridge/Lucan/Leixlip etc) when it's freezing and then you're sitting on the bus listening to Placebo (don't recommend it, serious agro buzz first thing in the morning) and you get all annoyed thinking that your bastarding boyfriend is in at 9oc too but doesn't have to get up until a quarter to blah blah blah. BUT it does make all the difference, and you get into a routine after a while.

And for your backpack/manbag/river island bag that you'll probably have to replace 10 times, I would HIGHLY recommend the following: Spare socks, scarf, umbrella, vaseline (you CAN get windburn walking up to the 67A stop beside the glenroyal and it HURTS), pens of assorted colours, a to-do book/academic diary, a wee map for the first years, a lighter (it's a converation starter if you don't smoke) and a memory key. I would love recommend about 55 other things but as I said, I got back pain from carrying them around so I wouldn't really recommend them at all.

Advertisement