Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

101 Things I love about Offaly

• 03-09-2009 9:44am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭

Hopefully we can find people that love the county enough to make it to 101 :D

1. The bog. A bit of a weird choice perhaps, but its one of the only natural places left in the country. I love how no matter how busy everywhere else is or how hectic things are in life, a drive or a walk through the bog just seems so peaceful and quiet. You can always count on the bog to be the moment of solitude in your day. Its rare to find a place like that in modern commercial times, and that's one of the things I love about Offaly.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

2. Good healthy parochial rivalry. I love the witty retorts especially on the sideline, and the supporters of each of every town and village can give as good as they get. Sure we're all awfully nice at the end of the day. My tuppence worth :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

3. The way were called BIFFO'S and that other counties stil think it insults us:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

4. The Heritage I know everywhere has it, but offally has some of the best castles, and derilict buildings in ireland.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,428 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

5. The Colours

I love to see the Green White and Gold displayed proudly throughout the county and further afield.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 691 ✭✭✭ghosttown

6. The Traffic (or lack of !) - as a blow in from Dub, 3 years in Tullamore with a young lad and another on the way, there's a lot of great things about the way of life, the air, the canal, the friendliness:), the pubs ! But the winner is the traffic - if i need to be somewhere I can actually time it, no longer in the lap of the gods. It's just so relaxed and reliable !

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

7. OFFALY TIME
    "I'll meet you at seven"
    "Grand. I'll see ya when I see ya"
    gotta love it

8. The way when your talking about a stupid thing someone did you add 'the eegit' after a sentence. Eg, johnny put eggs in deep fat fryer. The eegit.
    Myself and a workmate were readin a letter in a paper, all brilliantly worded until the last sentence which simply said 'The eegit'. We both laughed and said at the same time, 'from offaly:)'

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭markesmith

Clonmacnoise - visited by the Pope in 1979; founded by St Ciaran in the sixth century, who built a church there along with Diarmait mac Cerbaill, the first High King of Ireland (who is also buried in Clonmacnoise).

Attacked and sacked by Vikings, begrudging locals, Normans and Anglo-Saxons, and finally reduced to ruins in the 16th century by an English garrison stationed in Athlone (bloody Westmeath people :pac:).

The ruined castle overlooking Clonmacnoise was built by the English in the 14th century. A mate of mine reckons that the legend says it will fall on a "red-headed Egan", so his brother (who fits that description) won't go near it.

I live just up the road from here. It's steeped in history, and a great place to go for a quiet walk.

10. Texas store although it's heyday is long gone, it was another thing I liked about Offaly. At one stage it sold really good quality ladieswear and I know a woman who bought a beautiful suit, hat, shoes and bag there for a wedding, on the day of the wedding everybody was complimenting her on her rigout and she shamelessly told them she bought it in McElhinneys....and what's more everybody believed her. They used to come in buses from the four corners of Ireland to Texas at one time. Synonymous with Tullamore they used to say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,471 ✭✭✭elexes

10. The Harriers sat night

lets be honest its where a lot of parents met there other half and a place that brought the funniest memories of our youth. if only those tree's could speak

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭bigjoe

Inland waterways.

1.jpg

18.jpg

15.jpg

12. Ed and Nelly. Need I say any more, they're endearing creatures, they grow on you after a few listens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 993 ✭✭✭offaly1

elexes wrote: »
    10. The Harriers sat night

lets be honest its where a lot of parents met there other half and a place that brought the funniest memories of our youth. if only those tree's could speak

Cannot comment on the harriers on saturday nights.. I never graced the place with my presence!!!!:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 moiragannaire

The Fleadh! The last few years anyway...

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭Griffen262

Griffen262 wrote: »

As far as i know thats the Croghan to Daingean road is it not???
    Both places are in Offaly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,119 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Dusty87 wrote: »
    As far as i know thats the Croghan to Daingean road is it not???
    Both places are in Offaly
    It sure I'll be training no less than 100 metres from where that photographer was standing tomorrow evening.

Even the road out of Offaly is too good to actually leave it :D

EDIT: Epic FAIL award for Griffen262 :p

Quazzie wrote: »
    It sure I'll be training no less than 100 metres from where that photographer was standing tomorrow evening.

Even the road out of Offaly is too good to actually leave it :D

EDIT: Epic FAIL award for Griffen262 :p

Ha ha,
    I was working right at the top of the road, beside the great 'Croghan Stores'

Actually theres one,
    Croghan Hill,
    Our very own extinct volcano:p with St Patricks bed at the top too

• Closed Accounts Posts: 627 ✭✭✭Jugs82

The Slieve Bloom Mountains

Cadamstown for the annual BBQ or heading to Dan and Mollies in Ballyboy for a pint

The crazy Pyramid in Kinnitty

Walking from Cadamstown to Kinnitty over the mountain, past May Scullys cottage - link

But most of all, the pure randomness and madness that other counties don't seem to comprehend :D

Ok so far we have:

1. The Bog
    2. Good healthy parochial rivalry
    3. The way were called BIFFO'S and that other counties stil think it insults us
    4. The Heritage
    5. The Colours
    6. The Traffic (or lack of !)
    7. OFFALY TIME
    8. The Eegit (the phrase not any one person)
    9. Clonmacnoise
    10. Texas store
    11. The Harriers
    12. Inland waterways (some really excellent photos too Joe ;))
    13. Ed and Nelly
    14. The Fleadh!
    15. The Slieve Bloom Mountains
    16. Cadamstown annual BBQ
    17. Dan and Mollies in Ballyboy
    18. The Pyramid in Kinnitty
    19. Walking from Cadamstown to Kinnitty over the mountain, past May Scullys cottage
    20. The pure randomness and madness that other counties don't seem to comprehend
    So we're on 21

• Advertisement

21 The Irish Parachute Club in Clonbullogue. LINK

I live not too far from here and it really is a great place that has jumped in leaps and bounds in recent years. It started as a really small club working out of a portakabin in a field, but is currently home to a permanent fully licenced premises that also serves hot and cold food and is really worth a visit any Saturday or Sunday of the year. They hold a festival week for beginners, professionals and guests alike in late August (usually leading up to the August bank holiday weekend) which is really worth a visit.

This club (of which I have no connection) really is worth a visit and is something that is unique to Offaly. It has members from all four corners of the country, and are spread out across the country. It has regular visitors every week and really has put this small corner of Offaly on the international map.

For that reason alone I love the fact that it is in Offaly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,565 ✭✭✭✭Tallon

21 The Irish Parachute Club in Clonbullogue. LINK
    <snip>

It is a great club, I have to get down there again soon, since its 5 mins away.
    its cool to see them flying over the road while driving by :d

Tallon wrote: »
    It is a great club, I have to get down there again soon, since its 5 mins away.
    its cool to see them flying over the road while driving by :d
    Ya really should mate. You that has an eye for a good photo would really enjoy it. Even on the quiet days there is a real buzz about the place. I suppose with so many people just about to jump out of a plane its hard to contain the adrenaline :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 975 ✭✭✭medoc

Hopefully we can find people that love the county enough to make it to 101 :D

1. The bog. A bit of a weird choice perhaps, but its one of the only natural places left in the country. I love how no matter how busy everywhere else is or how hectic things are in life, a drive or a walk through the bog just seems so peaceful and quiet. You can always count on the bog to be the moment of solitude in your day. Its rare to find a place like that in modern commercial times, and that's one of the things I love about Offaly.

22? Lough Boora Parklands. Possibly included in the above Bog section but I just thought i'd give it a seperate mention. http://www.loughbooraparklands.com/
    It has more to it than the bog and is a nice way to spend a few hours on a fine sunday.

Good Thread by the way

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Ok so far we have:

1. The Bog
    2. Good healthy parochial rivalry
    3. The way were called BIFFO'S and that other counties stil think it insults us
    4. The Heritage
    5. The Colours
    6. The Traffic (or lack of !)
    7. OFFALY TIME
    8. The Eegit (the phrase not any one person)
    9. Clonmacnoise
    10. Texas store
    11. The Harriers
    12. Inland waterways (some really excellent photos too Joe ;))
    13. Ed and Nelly
    14. The Fleadh!
    15. The Slieve Bloom Mountains
    16. Cadamstown annual BBQ
    17. Dan and Mollies in Ballyboy
    18. The Pyramid in Kinnitty
    19. Walking from Cadamstown to Kinnitty over the mountain, past May Scullys cottage
    20. The pure randomness and madness that other counties don't seem to comprehend
    So we're on 21

Isn't Texas closed/closing?

medoc wrote: »
    Good Thread by the way
    Thanks
    Essexboy wrote: »
    Isn't Texas closed/closing?
    I think the original post was in reference to its activity during its heyday and how this little shop that sold little bits of everything managed to be cheaper than anywhere else and was unrivalled in terms of traffic. During the late 90s there was nothing like it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭fikay

Good to see the thread alive and well
    Jugs82 may have it covered but
    23. The Mountain Road (R440) to feckin Leix is amazing.
    There are quirky, amusing and random things of different degrees of interest scattered all along it. I love to wander the forestry tracks up around the log cabin when I'm home. Bring a pair of boots and a map if you're that way inclined, see where you end up!

24. Offaly Ol' Fellas I think it was Declan Lynch who wrote a book a couple of years ago about ol' lads ( I haven't read it) anyway the Offaly ol' fella is unique, simply because he's a powerhouse of wisdom and doesn't know it. There are basically five types in Offaly, (1)the young fella who served his time to the blacksmith and ended up working all his life for Bord Na Mona ( knows the bog inside out and upside down) (2) The old fella who worked all his life on the land, remembers when horses did most of the heavy work and can tell you the date he bought his first tractor and it's registration number. (3) The ol' fella who didn't inherit the farm and went away to the War he entralls local and tourist alike with his tales of adventure (4) The ol' fella who never worked a day in all of his 72 years on this earth and finally(5) The ol' fella who worked in the factory or distillary for 14 hours a day and still managed to fit in hurling, football or handball practice and fondly remembers the Big Snow.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

20 something... Not sure!!

The pride! Remember the good ol' days of the taoiseach's home coming? You couldn't have seen a prouder lot. Not to mention the fact that Moneygall are still claiming Obama's theirs.

• Advertisement

Tullamore Show. Good day out. If ya can stick the traffic

Lough Boora.
    Nice for a walk on a sunny day. Dont know what them structures are about though:):)

Birr game fair. Biggest game fair in the republic.
    Birr castle and gardens. Great for a walk on a fine day, lovely rivers and ponds, and lake. That telescope is huge

29. Glenisk Yogurts miles ahead of anything else this country has to offer IMHO

Tullamore Has everything you could need right here at home, Pubs, Clubs, Shops, Sport while still having a good community spirit.

30. The Pubs of Offaly Well known watering holes throughout the county. I especially love the names of pubs and the story behind the names. As I live in North Offaly I'd be more familiar with those around Tullamore. Some are long gone and operate under new names. I'm thinking of The Capitol Bar, The Mural Bar, The Whitehouse, The Lantern, The Brewery Tap (still running) The Tower, The Dolphin (Clara) The Cat and Bagpipes (Tubber) The Pull Inn (Pullagh) The Gallen/Gallon Inn (Ferbane) The Copper Beech (Edenderry) The Black Bull and a hundred more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nolly23

The way we invaded croke park to protest the final whistle been blown early against Clare in 98. We got our rematch and went on to win the All-Ireland. First Team to win the All Ireland through the back door. Why go in the front when you can slip in the back!!!! CLASS!!! C'mon the FAITHFUL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 victor11

Its far away from Dublin!

nolly23 wrote: »
    The way we invaded croke park to protest the final whistle been blown early against Clare in 98. We got our rematch and went on to win the All-Ireland. First Team to win the All Ireland through the back door. Why go in the front when you can slip in the back!!!! CLASS!!! C'mon the FAITHFUL :D

I know a lot of people say it but I was there that day and the atmosphere on the pitch was electric. If you were to listen to all the people you meet in the pubs there must have been 65000 people ( the total population of Offaly) there that day never mind any one else :D.

Quazzie if you get a chance sometime it would be good to get the full list so far put together and see where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 irish horse

johnny houghs pup in banagher banagher horse fair. birr vintage week,Shannon marina .hunting fishing swimming.kinnity castle birr castle. game and country fair

• Registered Users Posts: 25 irish horse

:)oh i forgot pure mule

• Advertisement

I know its gone now but was great at the time, the ballycumber may fair.

th_LastBallycumberFair.jpg

NO HORSES PLEASE

Memories of the last Ballycumber Fair ;)

What was the story wit that Scawgeen? I heard that the pubs were asked to give 'x' amount of money towards insurance. One wouldn do it so they all wouldn and thats why it was cancelled. Not sure if its true because i reckon they made a killin that weekend.

I don't know what the story was Dusty87. The last Fair of Ballycumber was a sad sorry sight. The people who brought their horses and calves for sale weren't welcome. The sale of animals would have been the essence of the original fair and everything else a sideshow including the sale of porter. It was a great fair in it's heyday, you couldn't walk up the main street in the village it was thronged with so many people. There was everthing to suit everybody from the Donkey Derby to the Art competition, not forgetting the Bonny Baby Show, Dog Show, Guess the weight of the Pig etc. It's sadly missed by many including myself.

Scawgeen wrote: »
    I don't know what the story was Dusty87. The last Fair of Ballycumber was a sad sorry sight. The people who brought their horses and calves for sale weren't welcome. The sale of animals would have been the essence of the original fair and everything else a sideshow including the sale of porter. It was a great fair in it's heyday, you couldn't walk up the main street in the village it was thronged with so many people. There was everthing to suit everybody from the Donkey Derby to the Art competition, not forgetting the Bonny Baby Show, Dog Show, Guess the weight of the Pig etc. It's sadly missed by many including myself.

You fprgot the frog eating contest:eek: Never seen it myself but remember the ould boy telling me about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Clara women.................

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

The list is getting a little frayed.

The hospital in Tullamore, better rep than its neighbouring hospitals and largers in the area.

Birr castle, kinda mentioned but its in the guinness book of records for largest hedge (not much of a boast) and used to have the worlds largest telescope.

The Pieta in Kilcormac has great history to it.

The tallest structure in the republic is the RTE radio mast. At over twice the height of the spire it is only passed by a mast in Strabane with is 15m taller for the title of tallest in Ireland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_and_structures_in_Ireland

Shane Lowery

Coolaboy wrote: »
    Clara women.................

<_<
    >_>
    ehhhhhhh

• Advertisement
Advertisement