Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

101 Things I love about Offaly

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

Lough Boora.
    Nice for a walk on a sunny day. Dont know what them structures are about though:):)

Birr game fair. Biggest game fair in the republic.
    Birr castle and gardens. Great for a walk on a fine day, lovely rivers and ponds, and lake. That telescope is huge

• Closed Accounts Posts: 251 ✭✭Scawgeen

29. Glenisk Yogurts miles ahead of anything else this country has to offer IMHO

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭medoc

Tullamore Has everything you could need right here at home, Pubs, Clubs, Shops, Sport while still having a good community spirit.

30. The Pubs of Offaly Well known watering holes throughout the county. I especially love the names of pubs and the story behind the names. As I live in North Offaly I'd be more familiar with those around Tullamore. Some are long gone and operate under new names. I'm thinking of The Capitol Bar, The Mural Bar, The Whitehouse, The Lantern, The Brewery Tap (still running) The Tower, The Dolphin (Clara) The Cat and Bagpipes (Tubber) The Pull Inn (Pullagh) The Gallen/Gallon Inn (Ferbane) The Copper Beech (Edenderry) The Black Bull and a hundred more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭nolly23

The way we invaded croke park to protest the final whistle been blown early against Clare in 98. We got our rematch and went on to win the All-Ireland. First Team to win the All Ireland through the back door. Why go in the front when you can slip in the back!!!! CLASS!!! C'mon the FAITHFUL :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 victor11

Its far away from Dublin!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 972 ✭✭✭medoc

nolly23 wrote: »
    The way we invaded croke park to protest the final whistle been blown early against Clare in 98. We got our rematch and went on to win the All-Ireland. First Team to win the All Ireland through the back door. Why go in the front when you can slip in the back!!!! CLASS!!! C'mon the FAITHFUL :D

I know a lot of people say it but I was there that day and the atmosphere on the pitch was electric. If you were to listen to all the people you meet in the pubs there must have been 65000 people ( the total population of Offaly) there that day never mind any one else :D.

Quazzie if you get a chance sometime it would be good to get the full list so far put together and see where we are.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 irish horse

johnny houghs pup in banagher banagher horse fair. birr vintage week,Shannon marina .hunting fishing swimming.kinnity castle birr castle. game and country fair

• Registered Users Posts: 25 irish horse

:)oh i forgot pure mule

• Advertisement

I know its gone now but was great at the time, the ballycumber may fair.

th_LastBallycumberFair.jpg

NO HORSES PLEASE

Memories of the last Ballycumber Fair ;)

What was the story wit that Scawgeen? I heard that the pubs were asked to give 'x' amount of money towards insurance. One wouldn do it so they all wouldn and thats why it was cancelled. Not sure if its true because i reckon they made a killin that weekend.

I don't know what the story was Dusty87. The last Fair of Ballycumber was a sad sorry sight. The people who brought their horses and calves for sale weren't welcome. The sale of animals would have been the essence of the original fair and everything else a sideshow including the sale of porter. It was a great fair in it's heyday, you couldn't walk up the main street in the village it was thronged with so many people. There was everthing to suit everybody from the Donkey Derby to the Art competition, not forgetting the Bonny Baby Show, Dog Show, Guess the weight of the Pig etc. It's sadly missed by many including myself.

Scawgeen wrote: »
    I don't know what the story was Dusty87. The last Fair of Ballycumber was a sad sorry sight. The people who brought their horses and calves for sale weren't welcome. The sale of animals would have been the essence of the original fair and everything else a sideshow including the sale of porter. It was a great fair in it's heyday, you couldn't walk up the main street in the village it was thronged with so many people. There was everthing to suit everybody from the Donkey Derby to the Art competition, not forgetting the Bonny Baby Show, Dog Show, Guess the weight of the Pig etc. It's sadly missed by many including myself.

You fprgot the frog eating contest:eek: Never seen it myself but remember the ould boy telling me about it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 433 ✭✭Coolaboy

Clara women.................

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 3,290 ✭✭✭TomTom

The list is getting a little frayed.

The hospital in Tullamore, better rep than its neighbouring hospitals and largers in the area.

Birr castle, kinda mentioned but its in the guinness book of records for largest hedge (not much of a boast) and used to have the worlds largest telescope.

The Pieta in Kilcormac has great history to it.

The tallest structure in the republic is the RTE radio mast. At over twice the height of the spire it is only passed by a mast in Strabane with is 15m taller for the title of tallest in Ireland. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_tallest_buildings_and_structures_in_Ireland

Shane Lowery

Coolaboy wrote: »
    Clara women.................

<_<
    >_>
    ehhhhhhh

• Advertisement

nolly23 wrote: »

If we all went to France there'd be a feckin replay!!!!!!!!!:p:p:p

This died a death, didnt it. I know there is 100 things i love about offaly, i just cant think of them.
    I think we were in too deep with the 101

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,011 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

I'll try clean up this message a bit and include a list when I get back to my PC but for now. Another thing I love about Offaly is Tullamore. I know it's only a town and others might claim it's like many others but it's a really nice town that's small enough to be still friendly and welcoming but big enough to have all you need. There is great integration between the locals and foreign nationalists in the area with plenty of interraction between the two groups. It leads to a nice ethnic diversity but without any real segregation. It has a good selection of pubs and restaurants that offers everything you might need. Every night of the week you can find something to do which is great for a town of it's size. Cinema, a plentitude of shopping outlets and some nice scenery around the area really do add up to make Tullamore a great town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Little Alex

My first teenage kiss was with a girl from Offaly. :-)

Was she from Clara by any chance..............:D:D:D

34. Bishop Michael Cox Priest and piper, great character.

Scawgeen wrote: »
    Was she from Clara by any chance..............:D:D:D

Scawgeen, you say what i think:D:D

Dusty87 wrote: »
    Scawgeen, you say what i think:D:D

You know what they say....Great minds think alike, fools seldom differ :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 144 ✭✭port

The Portarlington Road icon7.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,554 ✭✭✭Sundew

Here's a few for ya

- The green fields round Ferbane.
    - The Grand Canal
    - The River Brosna
    - Bog cotton
    - Johnny McEvoy (well he is one of Ireland's finest balladeers!)
    - " Old Croghan Man" (now residing in The National Museum!)
    - Tullamore Dew ( I know it's not distilled in Offaly anymore but it's still the local brew)
    -Offaly hurling (when the lads are on form ;))
    - Kinnity Castle
    -Dooly's Hotel in Birr
    -The River Shannon
    -Wild gorse in bloom on the bog :)

Keep on marching to the 101 :D

Advertisement