Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Developing too fast?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 9:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭

i know this might sound ridiculous but im worried my daughter is developing to fast, have talked to the PHN about this but she keeps insisting it's normal, has anyone else here experienced this?

basically she is 2 months old (8 weeks last monday) going on 6 months, now she is already growing faster than i can wash her sleepsuits she is in the next size beofre they are dry,

she is able to roll over so much so we had to move her from the moses basket to the cot...

she's teething ( you'd know she's definitly teething she is a quiet baby but gets random irritable periods where she is crying and rubbing her lower gum with my finger or her soother)

when you are moving her around she puts out her legs and can hold her weight on them and tries to put her feet down as in a standing postition,

she's coo-ing and holding conversations with people and her barney toy,

she''ll sit with you holding her up and watch cartoons quite happliy although her attention span is only a few minutes, she was staring at baby tv...

she is also watching us eat and gets upset when she gets none...even when i try to give her her bottle she wont take it and stares at the food on the plate, i cant leave her unattended during dinner but she's grabbing food and placing it towards he mouth,

i studyed early childcare for a year and i've never heard of a 2 month old doing these so early im worried she's developing too fast it doesnt seem right to me...anyone else have this issue?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 66 ✭✭Sulukie

Hi Candlelover,

That sounds like a similar time table to my wee man who is now two. He had his first tooth at four months, was sitting up by five months and was described by every one as a really nosy baby who was afraid of missing something. I don't know if this is your first child but my lo was and I hadn't had a lot of contact with very small babies so I was expecting the lying in the cot, sleeping and eating stage to last a lot longer ....
    Its amazing how much they accomplish in those first few months, and don't get me started on clothes, I never buy 0-3 month clothes as a present for a baby now because they no sooner look at them than they are too small.

Enjoy your little one and count your blessings that she is thriving.

Sulukie

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

It does sounds as though she's developing very quickly, but what's "too" fast? It's not likely to be dangerous or anything and she'll eventually stop growing(!). My neighbour's daughter, who's now 6 months, developed at a similar rate, both in terms of size and what she could do. She's pretty much ready to walk already. Her mother was worried that she might 'decompensate' in terms of her communication ability or some other aspect of her development, but that doesn't seem to be the case at all.

My own daughter, although a fairly normal developer, is about twice the size her brother was at the same age so it seems as though it's flying by (there are other factors that add to that) so I can understand if you feel like you're missing out on some parts of her growing up, but really, don't worry yourself, she sounds like she's in enviably good health.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

thank you for your views!
    i guess more so i'm missing the tiny cute baby who slept alot, she's my first but when i ask anyone i get the same response "some babies develop quicker" i just can't keep up with her its like she's learning stuff daily, and getting very crabbit, it's just happening so fast but all the information out there is for the opposite, babies who take longer to learn these things!

don't get me wrong im glad she's thriving, it just seems she's learning stuff too fast for me! doesn't help that i worry about doing things wrong like all the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

My PHN nurse has two six months old on her books who are already walking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I echo the what's too fast? statement.

Unless she's asking for pocket money, I wouldn't worry. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

People put far to much thought and worry into their baby's 'development' these days.
    Every one I hear about is a genius because they can do something a month or two before another baby of the same age that Mary down the street has. Get them into Mensa, quick!

The only time a child's development is an issue is when it's obvious that there's something wrong. Anything about a baby being miles ahead is self-indulgent nonsense, in my opinion. Especially at very young ages.

Every parent (including me) thinks their own kids are amazing compared to others.

Advertisement