Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help - Dongle or Wireless

Options
  • 03-09-2009 9:58am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 15

Hi all

Please help me out here cuz I haven't a clue!! I am in Galway and going to buy a laptop at the weekend. I am renting out a room in my house and my tenant has one of those plug in broadband things so she will not pay for wireless if I get it into the house

Two questions - which is better, a plug in or wirelesss, bearing in mind all I want the laptop for is surfing the net and buying stuff on EBay!!!

The other question is that if I do go for wireless is there a way I can ensure she doesn't use it - petty I know but I'll be d**ned if she can use it when she is refusing to pay for it!

I presume UPC are the best and cheapst wireless providers?

I really haven't a clue. Thanks

Fiona

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

Dongle is slower but cheaper. Wireless will be faster but more expensive. If all you need is surfing then a wireless dongle should do you fine. If you do go the wireless route you will be able to change the password to stop people getting in.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 fionab1385

Brilliant thanks a lot. From looking at different sites I think the 3G dongle is the best to go with - it's only €20 a month - result ! i just hate being tied into an 18 month contract if it's very slow!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Before you make any decision on midband (note, NOT broadband) from Three, O2 of Vodafone, check out the miriad of threads in the midband forum. http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=1147

I assume you mean Three when you say 3G, as 3G is a technology, not a company. Anyway, Three is easily the worst provider of internet access in the country, and choosing them because it's cheap, is a mistake.

Proper broadband; DSL, cable or fixed wireless. is far superior to the mobile services provided by the 3G operators. Only chose 3G if you need mobility, it's not designed or suited as a home broadband alternative, regardless of what the marketing departments of the operators tell you. It is not, and never will be, broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,011 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

If you are going to access broadband mainly in the house then I suggest the cheapest connection, whether from UPC or other, might be a better option.
    I believe most will supply a wireless router with the connection and you can limit access to it just to your laptop which no doubt will have the capability of connecting to the router wirelessly.

IMO, you will have a much better surfing experience doing this than using one of the 3G suppliers.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

http://www.upc.ie/broadband/three/

€22 a month for a stable connection, if you have TV or plan on getting TV from UPC, too. €28 if you don't have TV from UPC. Much better than 3G or HSDPA.

• Advertisement
Advertisement