Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shoe shops force the packaging on you

Options
  • 03-09-2009 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 454 ✭✭

Hope this hasn't been done already (had a search for it, btw)...

Is it legal for sales assistants in shoe shops to insist you take away the boxes your shoes/trainers are packed in, otherwise they will not entertain a refund or exchange?
    I've has this on a few occasions and it totally p!$$es me off, if I don't want the packaging I shouldn't be forced to take it. :mad:
    Isn't there a policy whereby you are entitled to ask the retailer to dispose of product packaging that the goods you are buying came in, rather than the consumer having to dispose of the packaging themselves..?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,431 ✭✭✭JohnC.

I think it is reasonable that you can't get a refund/exchange for a non faulty item if you don't have the packaging, which is what they are saying. If you don't take the packaging, you forfeit that chance. When a shop allows this kind of refund, it must be returned in a saleable condition, which includes the packaging. Remember, they don't have any obligation to take back a non faulty item because you decide you don't like it or whatever.

Of course, if you are returning an item because it is actually faulty, then the packaging is irrelevant. But that isn't what the shop assistant was talking about.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

If the product is faulty then it doesn't matter about the packaging as long as you have the receipt, if however you changed your mind they (the shop) are not obliged by any law to take the item back.

However if they will take it back they'll want the packaging back with it and its your job to look after this packaging as you can't expect the shop to keep all packaging "just in case" somebody decides to return/swap an item.

So basically depends on the exact context the assistant said they wouldn't offer a refund or exchange. :D

There's is no policy or law saying the company has to take the packaging, if that was the case you could buy your weekly shopping and then return your rubbish to Tesco's etc :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Cabaal beat me to it.:)

Indeed, if you insisted on leaving the packaging with them against their agreement you are liable under littering laws.(assuming Repak membership of course - most businesses are members as it's a handy out for them on the whole package issue)

Anyway all shoe shops I use ask me if I want the boxes or not. It's not really an issue. (It's all recyclable anyway!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,992 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

If a shop joins Repak they don't have to take any packaging back but if they aren't members of Repak then they have to take the packaging off anything they sell. Thing is you get the same amount of packaging when you buy so, I don't know what Repak do except allow shops not to reduce unnecessary packaging.

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭busman

Cabaal wrote: »
    There's is no policy or law saying the company has to take the packaging, if that was the case you could buy your weekly shopping and then return your rubbish to Tesco's etc :rolleyes:

Ah but there is!

http://www.repak.ie/memebrship_legislation.html#IRISH%20PACKAGING%20LEGISLATION

You can search to see if the shop is a member of repak or not, if they are they don't have to accept the packaging back.
    http://www.repak.ie/members_list.html

• Advertisement
Advertisement