Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs Wii (all discussion here please)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

My 360 got the rrod in march. I was disgusted with it. It was still in warranty so got a replacement which i instantly traded in for a 120gb slim ps3.

The ps3 is great, dont know why everyone is hating on psn, as far as i can see theres little or no difference with xbox live. And its free!

One big factor for me as well is the longevity of the console. I still play my n64 and ps2. In 5/10 years time i still plan on being able to play my ps3. Can anyone honestly say they'll be able to do that with their 360's?

Now, the things that grate on me with the ps3. Expensive accesories i.e. turtle beach headsets like the x11 are half the price of the p21s.

Availability of games like blacklight tango down on psn. I've been waiting for it for so long arhh!

Before anyone pulls the troll/fanboy card, i do love the 360 as well. It's just a fundamentally flawed console. I'm strongly considering buying the new 250gb slim and halo reach which i'm eager to play to say the least!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

My 360 got the rrod in march. I was disgusted with it. It was still in warranty so got a replacement which i instantly traded in for a 120gb slim ps3.

The ps3 is great, dont know why everyone is hating on psn, as far as i can see theres little or no difference with xbox live. And its free!

One big factor for me as well is the longevity of the console. I still play my n64 and ps2. In 5/10 years time i still plan on being able to play my ps3. Can anyone honestly say they'll be able to do that with their 360's?
    If your console was still in warranty then you didn't have one of the revised SKUs which tackled the overheating problem and significantly reduced the likelihood of it dying. If you read the Playstation forum you'll see plenty of similar cases of older units dying through a variety of means. Now clearly the problem isn't as widespread on the platform however the key difference being, if your PS3 had died in a similar time frame you would have had to fork out for it to be repaired and would be doubly pissed off.

As for the 5/10 years lifespan, while I certainly wouldn't say the 360 will last that long I equally wouldn't say the PS3 will either so don't be too cocky with your new purchase. :o

In the meantime, enjoy the new purchase, it's definitely a cracking console with some fantastic games on it. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

I own all 3. Sometimes i wish Wii games were on a HD console; like Metroid : Other M. By the visuals you know it's dying to be in glorious HD. Simple lines like Mario Galaxy etc isn't the worst but i just wish the Wii outputted in 1080p. OK even 720p. Just something to counteract the jags.

I'd really consider Epic Mickey but I guess i'm a HD whore and would rather hold out to see if it'll come out on PS3/XB360

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 249 ✭✭tonsiltickler

If your console was still in warranty then you didn't have one of the revised SKUs which tackled the overheating problem and significantly reduced the likelihood of it dying. If you read the Playstation forum you'll see plenty of similar cases of older units dying through a variety of means. Now clearly the problem isn't as widespread on the platform however the key difference being, if your PS3 had died in a similar time frame you would have had to fork out for it to be repaired and would be doubly pissed off.

Thats true, i should say that when i had to return my 360 microsoft customer support were absolutely brill. I have heard of ps3's dying although it does seem less prevalent, i can only hope my one lasts the distance.

Either way im buying a new 250gb slim 360 tomorrow, im really excited!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

gizmo wrote: »

As for the 5/10 years lifespan, while I certainly wouldn't say the 360 will last that long I equally wouldn't say the PS3 will either so don't be too cocky with your new purchase. :o

In the meantime, enjoy the new purchase, it's definitely a cracking console with some fantastic games on it. :)

got a first release ps3, stll running like a beast, thats like 4 years?... xbox is still working too, have it a couple, hardly ever use it tho.

As for which console is best.. i think all 3 are good for different reasons, or at least the wii is. Only play xbox exclusives on it, seems good, its loud as **** tho... ps3 is great imo and psn is underrated. Dont like the direction nintendo went with the wii, hardly any good games... just gimmi and proper pad and shove ur numbchuck up ur hole and ur stupid **** gimmick games.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Got a question, everyone always says that psn is inferior to live but if silver was the same as psn would you pay for gold if at the same price or what price would pay.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

If you prefer to send text messages to people on your friends list then the ps3 is better. For voice chat the 360 is better. Not much else is different after that. Myself I prefer the ps3 because I like to send text messages and have text chats using my wireless keyboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Varik wrote: »
    Got a question, everyone always says that psn is inferior to live but if silver was the same as psn would you pay for gold if at the same price or what price would pay.
    Oh, that's a good question actually. I'd actually say yes, I would pay for it. I've used my XBL party example a few times in this context and it's a service I get use out of nearly every time I use my 360, which is pretty much every day. That to me is well worth the €30 a year I pay for it. That is, of course, on top of the access to the Deals of Week and games such as 1 v 100 and it's soon to be released successor (one hopes).

The next question would be, if Silver equated to PSN. Which is better, Gold or PSN+. Again, that would come down to which you value more, the monthly games on offer or the Party system. Again I'd probably go with Live as the party system affects everything I do with the console whereas the free games is just one aspect of the service. Of course, if you don't use your console online much then the included games of PSN+ would probably be preferable but at the end of the day, horses for courses and all that. :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,341 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Availability of games like blacklight tango down on psn. I've been waiting for it for so long arhh!

I wouldn't bother, it's absolutely awful. An unbalanced, unplayable mess of a game that always ends with one side spawn-camping the other.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,547 ✭✭✭✭Varik

gizmo wrote: »
    The next question would be, if Silver equated to PSN. Which is better, Gold or PSN+. Again, that would come down to which you value more, the monthly games on offer or the Party system. Again I'd probably go with Live as the party system affects everything I do with the console whereas the free games is just one aspect of the service. Of course, if you don't use your console online much then the included games of PSN+ would probably be preferable but at the end of the day, horses for courses and all that. :)

There would probably still be the large price gap between gold and plus.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Predator_ wrote: »
    If you prefer to send text messages to people on your friends list then the ps3 is better. For voice chat the 360 is better. Not much else is different after that. Myself I prefer the ps3 because I like to send text messages and have text chats using my wireless keyboard.

You can get a text pad thingy for the xbox, but then again that's an unnecessary purchase if you already own a wireless keyboard...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 578 ✭✭✭Predator_

tman wrote: »
    You can get a text pad thingy for the xbox, but then again that's an unnecessary purchase if you already own a wireless keyboard...

Can you use a wireless keyboard for the 360??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,339 ✭✭✭✭tman

Sorry, I could've worded that better!
    I meant that when weighing up the pros and cons of 360 vs PS3, you don't have to consider buying an extra keyboard for the PS3 if you already own a bluetooth or USB one.
    The 360 on the other hand can only use one of these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,761 ✭✭✭GothPunk

tman wrote: »
    The 360 on the other hand can only use one of these
    I don't think that's true, I use the same USB keyboard (a simple Logitech one) on the PS3 and 360 and it works just as well on both. Maybe just more keyboards are compatible with the PS3 and I got lucky that mine works with my 360?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,013 ✭✭✭✭jaykhunter

are there any great Wii games that have online support (ie multiplayer) or is it all couch-co-op?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭rizzla

jaykhunter wrote: »
    are there any great Wii games that have online support (ie multiplayer) or is it all couch-co-op?

The Monster Hunter game on Wii is meant to have a great online experience, haven't tried it myself, just going by reviews.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭colm1234

ok im more for xbox than ps3 for the simple reason i think theres better games available for the xbox ie the gears of war series, the fable series and so on also ive started to notice the xbox graphics seem to be slightly more polished off, and i prefer the controllers (big hands) but i do think the xbox are more expensive when you take into account paying for online game play and having to buy all the extras like rechargeable batterys and optical out leads ans so on, so what do people prefer and why xbox or ps3 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I used to own an xbox, traded it for a PS3 simply for the reason there were more games on that at the time I wanted to play, I'll buy an xbox again when Gears 3 comes out, but for now I prefer the PS3 lineup. THey both have their good and bad points, I prefer the xbox pad for fps games but the ps3 one for other things. The ps3 has a built in bluray player and i use it as a media centre (also possible with xbox minus the bluray) but for me its the games, Uncharted, Metal Gear, Killzone, God of War, Heavy Rain etc. Id love to play Halo Reach but aside from that and Gears I think the ps3 exclusives are better at the moment. Multi platform games can vary, FFXIII was better on PS3, Black Ops is better on 360 (at least in the multiplayer sense) Xbox live is better than PSN, but thats free so its to be expected. weigh up what you want and see from there, and hopefully this thread doesnt degenerated into "omg ps3 suxxxx sony fanboy nooB" comments

krudler wrote: »
    I used to own an xbox, traded it for a PS3 simply for the reason there were more games on that at the time I wanted to play, I'll buy an xbox again when Gears 3 comes out, but for now I prefer the PS3 lineup. THey both have their good and bad points, I prefer the xbox pad for fps games but the ps3 one for other things. The ps3 has a built in bluray player and i use it as a media centre (also possible with xbox minus the bluray) but for me its the games, Uncharted, Metal Gear, Killzone, God of War, Heavy Rain etc. Id love to play Halo Reach but aside from that and Gears I think the ps3 exclusives are better at the moment. Multi platform games can vary, FFXIII was better on PS3, Black Ops is better on 360 (at least in the multiplayer sense) Xbox live is better than PSN, but thats free so its to be expected. weigh up what you want and see from there, and hopefully this thread doesnt degenerated into "omg ps3 suxxxx sony fanboy nooB" comments

lol yes lets keep it civil, i thought that ff xiii was a complete failure and apparently that was down to the xbox not being able to support game content or somthing i was playing like 30 hours until the world map opened up what a mess

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

I've been thinking of buying a console myself as it happens. At the moment, I'm swaying towards the PS3 because I've never owned a Sony console, but have always wanted to play Team ICO's games (being reworked for PS3 release this year).

But beyond that, I've been away from console gaming for so long, I have no idea what's good on either format, and which titles are exclusive to either Sony or Microsoft.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

PS3 has far better exclusives lined up this year imo, the only big one for the xbox is gears of war 3, whereas the PS3 has Uncharted 3 , Killzone 3 , Resistance 3, The last guardian, LittleBigPlanet2, Socom4, Infamous 2 etc

I have both consoles but the only game i'll buy this year for the xbox is gears of war since I enjoy playing with mates on the PS3.

true but i do think its worth buying an xbox just for gears of war 3 the previous 2 games have to be 2 of the best games ever made

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

colm1234 wrote: »
    lol yes lets keep it civil, i thought that ff xiii was a complete failure and apparently that was down to the xbox not being able to support game content or somthing i was playing like 30 hours until the world map opened up what a mess

What?

I have both, TV's broke so haven't had the XBox on in about 6 weeks, closer to 6 months since I've had the PS3 on. I'll keep it for the future, Blu-Rays etc. but have little use for it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Have both myself, prefer the PS3s exclusives.

Saying that the gears series is one of the best ever made is going a teeny tiny bit too far.

Have a go of Uncharted 2 and you'll want to buy a PS3 straight away!

• Registered Users Posts: 26 gariceimo

Prefer the games on the PS3 such as MGS, Uncharted, Infamous etc, not a big online gamer so it wouldn't be worth paying for it. Main game I would want an Xbox for is Alan Wake....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

PS 3 vastly superior streaming capabilities and the fact it can do rté player now tops it for me.

the PS 3 isn't just a games console for me, it does that very well but it trumps the 360 when it comes to streaming media from other machines on the same wireless network.

also this may rile a few people up but the xbox (I've got the elite 120gb) is just way too loud in comparison to the PS 3.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Leprecunt

I've got both and really it's hard to choose. PS3 has a better exclusive lineup next year but that doesn't matter a whole lot to me since I buy pretty much all the multiplats for the 360 as I prefer the controller and playing with friends on xbox. I see the xbox more as a multiplayer console and the PS3 as a console with some amazing single player experiences (Heavy Rain,Uncharted series, MGS, God of War and stuff like Journey and The Last Guardian on the horizon).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,469 ✭✭✭✭GTR63

The 360 controller is much better,imo.The position of the Left Analogue stick & Triggers being a Big Plus.The exclusives early door was very much the 360 but the last 2 years thats changed Uncharted 3, Killzone 3,LBP 2,Team Ico,Splinter Cell Hd trilogy & more on PS3 in 2011 says it all.In my opinion sony started lazy this gen & improved microsoft did the opposite.I always buy 3rd party titles on the 360 though.The whole movie/music thing doesn't interest me in the slightest.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

So do both consoles allow play of previous gen titles? ie, do they both have backwards compatibility with PS2 and original XBox titles?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

So do both consoles allow play of previous gen titles? ie, do they both have backwards compatibility with PS2 and original XBox titles?

The ps3 did with the original 60gb launch machine, but it doesnt now, the 360 plays xbox games but not all of them, its been a while since I owned one but there was a list of them on the 360 site.

Advertisement