Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs Wii (all discussion here please)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,021 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

All PS3s play PS1 games.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭colm1234

gariceimo wrote: »
    Prefer the games on the PS3 such as MGS, Uncharted, Infamous etc, not a big online gamer so it wouldn't be worth paying for it. Main game I would want an Xbox for is Alan Wake....

alan wake was nothing special i completed it in less than a day could have been better

So do both consoles allow play of previous gen titles? ie, do they both have backwards compatibility with PS2 and original XBox titles?

as far as the xbox is concerned the xbox arcade package will not play any but id steer clear from this console as only 256mb, all you need to do is update it a couple of times and half that is gone lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

All PS3s play PS1 games.

Oh yeah lol, i meant ps2, mores the pity, I have a ps2 sitting on a shelf and never bother setting it up, as much as I'd love a bash on Vice City again :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

I support the idea of buying a PS3 for the following reasons:

- failure rate: 54.2% (Xbox) vs 10.6% (PS3)
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6215590.html

- exclusives: MGS4, Uncharted 1/2 (and 3 announced), Little Big Planet 1/2, InFamous, Killzone 2 and many more... coming soon

- PS3 graphics looks more "real" to me

- free online for gaming and basic tasks, upgradable to PSN Plus that costs, but offers much more

- BluRay: I enjoy quality of films, though I understand not everyone does and sh*tty DivX may be just fine for some

- VidZone

- compatibility with other Sony gear which I own and like (TV, camcorder, etc.)

- various settings (like Colour Depth Full/Limited) that allow the PS3 games and films look really stunning if connected to a good TV

- game pads: motion sensor, vibrations, able to charge and last for long, good shape, weight

- PS3 is quieter than the Xbox360

- PS3 looks much better to me (I still own one of the 1st 60GB version with full backward compatibility)

- upgradable 2,5" HDD I can get in any computer store for a few quid

But that's just me.

• Advertisement

as stated above the xbox is fairly loud but in fareness I just turn up the tv volume dont notice it, especially when on the surrond sound system :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Having played both I feel it depends what you want out if the console, xbox live is far better then psn, yes it does cost money but psn just feels thrown together with silly menus that take an age to load, the trophy system on ps3 just pales in comparison to achievements on xbox also!

If it's just for offline gaming I would choose the ps3 for the reasons stated before me; better exclusive titles!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Having played both I feel it depends what you want out if the console, xbox live is far better then psn, yes it does cost money but psn just feels thrown together with silly menus that take an age to load, the trophy system on ps3 just pales in comparison to achievements on xbox also!

If it's just for offline gaming I would choose the ps3 for the reasons stated before me; better exclusive titles!

This always baffles me.... how is xbox live FAR better than psn ? Other than the obvious cosmetic differences(I couldnt give a **** about achievements and all that ****). Its the EXACT same thing once you're playing the game... I've played on both so i know.

You can still setup chatrooms in the PS3, send messages, voice chat... what exactly is it missing that makes it far worse ? All that i care about is playing the actual game with mates, being able to talk to them and have a laugh.

There might be a few extra features on xbox live and it may run slightly smoother outside the game... but that really doesnt change anything when it comes to what its all about.. playing games online, it takes me less than 30 seconds from when i turn on my PS3 till im playing online.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 711 ✭✭✭Dr_Phil

Magill wrote: »
    This always baffles me.... how is xbox live FAR better than psn ?
    I'd second that question, it is a kind of a mantra coming from the Xbox users about Live being "much better" than the PSN (I guess you compare it to the free version of PSN) but I've never heard any particular details. I hope you guys wouldn't mind....?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

the one thing i wish you could do on PSN is follow people into other games, cos wrecking boosters on CoD became a game lengtening pasttime of mine :D

• Advertisement

Magill wrote: »
    This always baffles me.... how is xbox live FAR better than psn ? Other than the obvious cosmetic differences(I couldnt give a **** about achievements and all that ****). Its the EXACT same thing once you're playing the game... I've played on both so i know.

You can still setup chatrooms in the PS3, send messages, voice chat... what exactly is it missing that makes it far worse ? All that i care about is playing the actual game with mates, being able to talk to them and have a laugh.

There might be a few extra features on xbox live and it may run slightly smoother outside the game... but that really doesnt change anything when it comes to what its all about.. playing games online, it takes me less than 30 seconds from when i turn on my PS3 till im playing online.

I agree it does have a lot of the same features, but the aesthetics of xbox live are what gives it its advantage for me, I find it a lot less frustrating navigating the live menus ie. quicker to load, laid out better. Perhaps far better was to harsh on the ps3.
    I've also played both and what i found with psn is that the community is very quiet with no mic being included the ps3, I know its small but it's surprising the amount of people that will not buy a mic and prefer to play in silence.
    The trophy/achievement feature may not appeal to you, I have no real interest in it either, but there is a huge amount of people that enjoy collecting them. The trophy system feels like a last minute idea thrown in, while the gamerscore idea seems a lot more thought out and executed better.

All that said, all my friends are on xbox live so maybe I'm just a 'lil biased :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭rizzla

Well one excellent thing about live is that I was away over chirstmas and would have missed out on the deals of the day if it wasn't for the ability for me to login to xbox.com and buy and queue up some of the deals.

Another great thing is that every single xbla game has a demo your never left thinking about buying a game based on reviews or word of mouth. You just download the demo and can try it out for yourself.

There was also a good post on here about how a user was jumping all about the place and how easy it was to go from one game to another. Can't remember who the user was but it was well put.

You should never pay what MS want you to pay for live though, get it cheap from somewhere online. The price MS want is too high.

Also the deals of the week are only available to gold users and buying those over the year, live does pay for itself with the savings you'd make.

The xmb just feels so terrible to me and the message rooms altough serve a basic purpose are very slow. When playing a game talking to someone, when you get a new message and press the psn button it takes a couple of seconds longer than it should.

I prefer the xbox purely because of the controller though. I won't be getting rid of my ps3 anytime soon though, can't wait for Uncharted 3 and The Last Guardian.

^Best gamertag ever.

ive been getting my xbox live free by just setting up a new profile and new email this gives you the 1 month free trial :D although i have heard you can only do this 3 times im on my 3rd now so i stand to be corrected

colm1234 wrote: »
    ive been getting my xbox live free by just setting up a new profile and new email this gives you the 1 month free trial :D although i have heard you can only do this 3 times im on my 3rd now so i stand to be corrected

What you assume is correct :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,218 ✭✭✭✭DARK-KNIGHT

Taking bets now on how long it will take a mod to close this?? Lol

why should this thread be closed ? its a civil debate on why we like xbox or ps3, its somewhere for people just to talk about the consoles nobody has being arguing with anyone else so lets get back on topic :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,353 ✭✭✭Sasquatch76

So here's another stupid question. Why do these consoles have HDs? Is it for downloading extra content, or do you actually need to install the games from disc onto the hard drive?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,939 ✭✭✭rizzla

So here's another stupid question. Why do these consoles have HDs? Is it for downloading extra content, or do you actually need to install the games from disc onto the hard drive?

Completely optional on Xbox to install games. Some PS3 games have a mandatory install.

Also, its needed for downloading arcade games and add-ons for games.

for all kinds of stuff number 1 being saving game content but stuff like installing films or music also comes in handy for updates basically anything that takes up memory

• Advertisement

as far as im aware the only reason to install a game on to xbox is to give all the moving parts a rest as you still need the disc to play it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,581 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

as far as im aware the only reason to install a game on to xbox is to give all the moving parts a rest as you still need the disc to play it
    isn't that not a juxtapose position though?

the most moving part of any console would be the dvd tray, what's the point installing the game if you need to still use the disc?

also didn't halo 3 preform absolutely dire when you done an optional install as opposed to just playing off the disc?

the most moving part of any console would be the dvd tray, what's the point installing the game if you need to still use the disc?

also didn't halo 3 preform absolutely dire when you done an optional install as opposed to just playing off the disc?

it just saves wear and tear on the console dont forget the disc is constantly spinning when in use also the fan

The game is completely installed on the HD and played off that, the disk is only need to confirm you have the game. To stop people renting/borrowing games installing them and playing them whenever :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I've owned nearly every console since the 90's. Played em all to death. I currently play the 360, Wii and PS3 regularly.

The Playstation 3, for me, is the best console ever made. It feels nicer than the others. With the odd exception of some FPS, I think the joypad is superior to others, although the 360 pad is beast, too. The PS3 feels like a more mature gaming system for me, it's just a feeling I'm not going to try to analyse it. Until 2009, I thought it was a pointless machine because of the lack of good exclusives.

The 360, Wii and PS3 all have mindblowing exclusives at this stage, just overall, I like and probably always will like the PS3 more.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 10,347 Mod ✭✭✭✭F1ngers

why should this thread be closed ? its a civil debate on why we like xbox or ps3, its somewhere for people just to talk about the consoles nobody has being arguing with anyone else so lets get back on topic :D

Because there is already a thread for discussing consoles here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671045&highlight=xbox.

the trophy system on ps3 just pales in comparison to achievements on xbox also!

Obviously everyone prefers one or the other, but I'd love to hear how one pales on comparison to the other.

F1ngers wrote: »
    Because there is already a thread for discussing consoles here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055671045&highlight=xbox.

the more the better come on dont be a kill joy :D

Haha. I'm not one to get behind repeat threads, but I've invested in this one now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Quandary

I currently own both the PS3 and 360, and I have to say I enjoy both consoles. Some of the exclusives are phenomenal - Demon Souls for the PS3, Mass Effect 1/2 for the 360 etc...

Gun to my head I would probably say go for the PS3 but thats just a personal preference based on the controller, the interface and having a nice quiet blueray player.

Saying that though, I'm currently playing Fallout NV and SSF4 on the 360 and loving them :pac:

Feck it, just flip a coin - you wont be disappointed with either one!

Advertisement