Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Xbox 360 vs PS3 vs Wii (all discussion here please)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 246 ✭✭colm1234

does anyone else think the battery life in the xbox pads is crap I mean life as in when you have to throw them in the bin cas dont hold a charge anymore ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 846 ✭✭✭TheFullDuck

Grayditch wrote: »
    Obviously everyone prefers one or the other, but I'd love to hear how one pales on comparison to the other.

I prefer the way achievements are given gamerscore and this can be compared to other users and I always felt there was a bit of competition between friends, rather then the ps3 which just has different coloured trophies.
    But like you said its my own opinion. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭Grayditch

I bought a third party battery pack and it's awful. It's annoying that I even have to worry about buying battery packs and special cables, really, but they were out first, so that's just the way it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Thats one thiing I dont miss is buying batteries for the xbox pad, the ps3 one just plugs in with a usb cable (also provided) and away you go, can play while charging too.

As for the lack of headsets on PS3, thats a good thing in many ways, people that buy headsets may not always be screechy 12 year olds (although theres plenty of them), the lads over on CoD forum nearly all use headsets and we have great craic some nights, or just chat about stuff, any time I ever played Halo 3 the first thing I didnt was mute everyone, be it annoying kids, some fool blaring music into the mic and distorting all the sound, or random static noise and im pretty sure I heard fapping once.

I prefer the way achievements are given gamerscore and this can be compared to other users and I always felt there was a bit of competition between friends, rather then the ps3 which just has different coloured trophies.
    But like you said its my own opinion. :D

Well to be fair, PSN has levels done in the same way as a lot of RPGs. The higher the level, the more XP (or in this case trophies) you need to level up. I get competitive with friends sometimes and if we're on the same level it'll come down to who's nearer the next level, or who has the most Platinums which can be seen on the gamer profile.

Yeah, I prefer levels over gamerscore and platinum counts over 1000/1000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

rizzla wrote: »
    Well one excellent thing about live is that I was away over chirstmas and would have missed out on the deals of the day if it wasn't for the ability for me to login to xbox.com and buy and queue up some of the deals.

Another great thing is that every single xbla game has a demo your never left thinking about buying a game based on reviews or word of mouth. You just download the demo and can try it out for yourself.

There was also a good post on here about how a user was jumping all about the place and how easy it was to go from one game to another. Can't remember who the user was but it was well put.

You should never pay what MS want you to pay for live though, get it cheap from somewhere online. The price MS want is too high.

Also the deals of the week are only available to gold users and buying those over the year, live does pay for itself with the savings you'd make.

The xmb just feels so terrible to me and the message rooms altough serve a basic purpose are very slow. When playing a game talking to someone, when you get a new message and press the psn button it takes a couple of seconds longer than it should.

I prefer the xbox purely because of the controller though. I won't be getting rid of my ps3 anytime soon though, can't wait for Uncharted 3 and The Last Guardian.
    That was probably me with this post.

I'll second everything rizzla said there. I own both and use the 360 as my primary machine while the PS3 is used for the, quite frankly, fantastic exclusives. At this stage though it's a toss up between both consoles, you won't be disappointed with either and if a gun was put to my head to decide which to go for, I'd just look at my friends list on both consoles to help make the decision.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,817 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

PC: Anti-Aliasing

/thread

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Dr_Phil wrote: »
    I support the idea of buying a PS3 for the following reasons:

- failure rate: 54.2% (Xbox) vs 10.6% (PS3)
    http://www.gamespot.com/news/6215590.html
    On current consoles?

Overheal wrote: »
    PC: Anti-Aliasing

/thread
    Yep, AA really made Minecraft the success it is today. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,836 ✭✭✭TanG411

I've always been a Playstation head since its release, and have stuck with it.

I have nothing against the Xbox either. There's no right or wrong really, just personal opinion.

What has me staying with the PS3 though is Gran Turismo 5, and the fact that I own a PS3 and not an Xbox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 322 ✭✭Dwaegon

360 is superior imho, the wii is an outdated fad that had been completely surpassed by ps3 move and kinect, and the ps3 controllers feel like they're made for 6 year olds!
    I seriously fear I may break it just by trying to shoot someone. In fairness, i do have fairly big hands, but the 360 controllers can fit almost any size fairly comfortably. I know people will say that there are larger controllers available for the ps3, but that's just a huge stupid inconvenience to go buy an extra controller.

Also in terms of game selection, I think there's just too many excellent games exclusive to the 360 compared with the amount exclusive to ps3.

Price-wise, 360 wins out too!

Having played with both move and kinect, kinect is much easier to use and smoother.

any body know what a code generator is for xbox live, some little birdy told me it means you get free membership ? any help

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,522 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

PC talk is OT on this thread.
    Stay on topic please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

colm1234 wrote: »
    any body know what a code generator is for xbox live, some little birdy told me it means you get free membership ? any help

A little birdy should also have told you, if you get caught and the likely hood is you will, you'll get a ban from xbox live.

Live doesn't cost that much..

did not have a clue hence asking thanks for the reply

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30 Leprecunt

hellboy99 wrote: »
    Wii - great for kids, family, and friends. It's a fun machine, personally I find it tends to get boring quickly and the controls annoying.

XBox 360 - If your a Halo fan it's a must and that's about it.

PS3 - When compared to the 360 it just beats it hands down in terms of value for money and features;
    • You have no RROD problem :pNever had a RROD problem
    • It's quieter than the 360 The new slim is pretty much as quiet
    • You get a rechargeable controller with it You do with the slim as well, not that important in the long run either
    • It has inbuilt wireless and bluetooth (bluetooth not on the new PS3 Slim) New slim has built in wifi
    • Internet & Install other OS (other OS not on the new PS3 Slim) Never use the browser on my ps3 or wii, takes so long to do anything
    • Free online gaming XBL is much better in my opinion, I'd rather pay
    • Blu-ray / DVD player - no need for a seperate drive like the 360 Yeh the Bluray player is very handy on the PS3, use it all the time to be fair :)
    • No seperate "brick" power unit Doesn't really matter?

I love both consoles but in my opinion the things you listed aren't really problems, at least not for me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

Dwaegon wrote: »
    360 is superior imho, the wii is an outdated fad that had been completely surpassed by ps3 move and kinect, and the ps3 controllers feel like they're made for 6 year olds!
    I seriously fear I may break it just by trying to shoot someone. In fairness, i do have fairly big hands, but the 360 controllers can fit almost any size fairly comfortably. I know people will say that there are larger controllers available for the ps3, but that's just a huge stupid inconvenience to go buy an extra controller.

Also in terms of game selection, I think there's just too many excellent games exclusive to the 360 compared with the amount exclusive to ps3.

Price-wise, 360 wins out too!

Having played with both move and kinect, kinect is much easier to use and smoother.

I have hands like shovels and i prefer the ps3 over the 360 by a mile. Anytime i play on my 360 for more than an hour my hands almost cramp up, i donno, it just seems like theres less room for my fingers when gripping it or something... probably just me tho.

Your second point... its pretty much the opposite.. halo has (Had) 3 big exclusives imo... gears of war, halo and mass effect (Which is no longer an exclusive). The only big exclusive coming to the 360 this year is gears 3, compared to the PS3's Uncharted 3, Killzone 3, Resistance 3, The Last Guardian, Infamous 2, SOCOM 4 etc.

Price wise... yeah 360 wins i guess.

Magill wrote: »
    I have hands like shovels and i prefer the ps3 over the 360 by a mile. Anytime i play on my 360 for more than an hour my hands almost cramp up, i donno, it just seems like theres less room for my fingers when gripping it or something... probably just me tho.

You second point... its pretty much the oposite.. halo has (Had) 3 big exclusives imo... gears of war, halo and mass effect (Which is no longer an exclusive). The only big exclusive coming to the 360 this year is gears 3, compared to the PS3's Uncharted 3, Killzone 3, Resistance 3, The Last Guardian, Infamous 2, SOCOM 4 etc.

Price wise... yeah 360 wins i guess.
    I'd wager there'll be another Halo announcement, plus another Forza announcment and then more news on the Crytek 360 exclusive Codename:Kingdoms.

Then there's the decent looking Kinect titles unveiled at TGS such as Steel Battalion, Haunt, Project Draco and Codename D.

Finally there's the raft of fantastic XBLA games on the way including Fez, Radiant Silvergun, RetroCity Rampage and Microbot.

Am I still salivating over UC3, Killzone 3, Infamous 3 and TLG? Hell yea I am, but I still don't see me switching primary consoles anytime soon.

Different parts of my hands hurt depending on which controller I use, ha.

The browser on the PS3 is dirt slow, but I love sitting down for dinner and opening up bookmarked pages with streamed tv series on them. I like plugging the HD in to watch movies and stuff, but for stuff I wouldn't download and just watch casually, it's great. I stream sports with the PS3 all the time, it has come in very handy for football games my family want to watch, they love it for that reason only. Of course you can do it with your laptop into the TV, but this is always ready to go. This is a feature I often take for granted with the PS3.

I often have a game of FIFA at halftime ;) It only does everything.

since we are on the subject of hands and controllers :D ive huge hands the kind i could wrap around your head with one hand and i much prefer the xbox controller, my hand never cramps up could be somthing to do with 21 years of gaming has bulit up some kind of immunity to it but ive had days where ive been stuck on the xbox 12 hours straight and not a bother, but when i go to my bros house to go on the ps3 its like 1 hour before the innerside of my hand cramps up my verdict xbox pads for men and the ps3 pads for girls or girly men :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Found the PS3 to be a terrible console when I got it but it's just edging as my favourite now since it's finally getting excellent exclusives while the exclusives on xbox are drying up. I still get all mythird party games on 360 because they are usually the better conversion and the pad is better. Might start getting my online games on the PS3 as well now, xbox live is a rip off, but I have me PC for online gaming and it's way better than any console at the moment with only Demon's Souls offering something that isn't on the PC.

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Found the PS3 to be a terrible console when I got it but it's just edging as my favourite now since it's finally getting excellent exclusives while the exclusives on xbox are drying up.

Pretty much feel the same.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

I bought an Xbox 360 Slim Arcade a few months ago and later added a 250GB HDD.

I looked up various "best Xbox 360 games" lists and used those to decide my game purchases.

The games are extremely disappointing, dull, and idiotic. The only one I enjoy is Red Dead Redemption.

What kind of money would I get back if I traded in / sold the 360 S, 250GB HDD, and about 4 "good" games?

What might I expect to pay for a PS3 if I was to trade in the above?

I like the look of some of the PS3 exclusives, and could always get Red Dead for the PS3 if I did get one.

Or should just forget about consoles and apologise to my PC for insulting it?

I bought an Xbox 360 Slim Arcade a few months ago and later added a 250GB HDD.

I looked up various "best Xbox 360 games" lists and used those to decide my game purchases.

The games are extremely disappointing, dull, and idiotic. The only one I enjoy is Red Dead Redemption.

What kind of money would I get back if I traded in / sold the 360 S, 250GB HDD, and about 4 "good" games?

What might I expect to pay for a PS3 if I was to trade in the above?

I like the look of some of the PS3 exclusives, and could always get Red Dead for the PS3 if I did get one.

Or should just forget about consoles and apologise to my PC for insulting it?
    Perhaps you should list the 4 games you bought before trading it in? There are loads of fantastic games out there which are neither disappointing, dull, nor idiotic. Then again, there are loads out there that are, for both consoles in fact, so it may be handy to help you avoid that mistake again.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭desaparecidos

Red Dead Redemption (Good)
    Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (Boring, samey)
    Dirt (****e)
    Grid (****e)
    Mass Effect 2 (****e)
    Alan Wake (Boring, samey)

EDIT:
    Titles like Oblivion, PES, FIFA, BIOSHOCK, Fallout I have or can play on the PC. Also First Person Shooters I will never play on a console, unless it's not available for PC and is excellent.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,663 ✭✭✭Cork24

Online Mode - XBOX 360 Live

if your into Graphics - PS3

and had both till i got the 3 red lights on the Xbox and i think Xbox kills the PS3 online

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,532 ✭✭✭WolfForager

Mass Effect 2 (****e)

Sir, i shall ignore i ever read that.

Red Dead Redemption (Good)
    Enslaved: Odyssey to the West (Boring, samey)
    Dirt (****e)
    Grid (****e)
    Mass Effect 2 (****e)
    Alan Wake (Boring, samey)

EDIT:
    Titles like Oblivion, PES, FIFA, BIOSHOCK, Fallout I have or can play on the PC. Also First Person Shooters I will never play on a console, unless it's not available for PC and is excellent.
    Well first off, outside of Alan Wake, none of those games are 360 exclusives so to be trying to get rid of the console for that reason is a bit silly.

I disagree strongly on the ME2 review of course, in fact most people who would have played it will be telling their mates with PS3s to get it when it's released on that console later this month. But that's besides the point anyway...

In terms of games to get, I'd suggest going through this list and picking the games you want whose genre you like and which, I'm guessing, you can't play on the PC. There'll be demos of them to course so you can always give them a try either.

If you move to the PS3, the only thing to worry about, assuming you're a diehard PC-fan, is that two of the big PS3 games are FPS. There's still the fantastic Uncharted games and God Of War of course but outside of the exclusives you'll be left with similar games.

I love games so much I have to have all three, because they all have MUST-PLAY exclusives. I hear people say all the time the Playstation 3 has no exclusives that interest them. I never believe that they have researched enough. The Wii is the same, although I find it has a smaller amount of must-play games.

Most of my favourite games are exclusives, actually.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,732 ✭✭✭Magill

gizmo wrote: »
    I'd wager there'll be another Halo announcement, plus another Forza announcment and then more news on the Crytek 360 exclusive Codename:Kingdoms.

Then there's the decent looking Kinect titles unveiled at TGS such as Steel Battalion, Haunt, Project Draco and Codename D.

Finally there's the raft of fantastic XBLA games on the way including Fez, Radiant Silvergun, RetroCity Rampage and Microbot.

Am I still salivating over UC3, Killzone 3, Infamous 3 and TLG? Hell yea I am, but I still don't see me switching primary consoles anytime soon.

My post was correcting his statement that the xbox had better exclusives lined up. Are you disagreeing with me or what is the point of your reply ?

So theres forza... and 2 "Maybe" games. I never even posted all the BIG confirmed releases for the PS3..

Resistance 3
    The Last Guardain
    Uncharted 3
    Killzone 3
    Infamous 2
    Socom 4
    Rachet and Clank
    Twisted Metal
    Motor Storm
    The Agency
    Final Fantasy Versus XIII
    Yakuza
    Little Big Planet 2
    DC Universe
    Agent(Who knows.. As likely as a new halo i guess)

The xbox exclusive calender just looks empty in comparsion, either way. 2011 will be expensive as fook !

As for the move and PSN games.... meh, i dont really look into that ****e because theres almost too many great games to play. tho apparently Ape escape, Sony Heroes and the sorcery are going to be really good on the move.

Advertisement