Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Free TV or BB for telephone allowance recepients

• 03-09-2009 10:45am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I've just realised that people (OAP's, etc.) who receive the Department of Social and Family Affairs telephone allowance to pay for their Eircom phone line, could get either free TV or Broadband if they switched their phone service to UPC.

If you switch your phone service to UPC, you can continue to get the free line rental allowance of €25, however instead they will pay it into your bank account:
    http://service.upc.ie/service/?cid=117&aid=183

However since UPC's line rental is only €5, you can effectively use the other €20 to help pay for TV or BB. For Example:

UPC phone + Digital TV Value bundle is €25 so effectively yo are getting 40 channel digital TV and the 17 channel analogue TV service for other rooms for free!!!!

OR UPC phone + 1mb BB for €24 (I'm not sure there maybe an additional €6 charge if you don't get TV service from UPC).

Of course there is nothing stopping you getting a more expensive package and using the €20 towards it.

Much better value then wasting your money with Eircom.

One word of warning to elderly people, the UPC phone service won't work during a power outage, which maybe an issue of you need to call for 999 assistance. Probably a good idea to have a mobile, just in case.

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Sounds really great in theory but has it been put to the test? :)

Now if only my parents were in a UPC area they'd be sorted

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

Will they still pay the line rental allowance if you don't actually have a line? Is there any check on this, or is having a phone number (voip) enough? I wouldn't be so sure that the department would continue paying 25 euro for something that's only costing you 5 euro.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 23,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

jor el wrote: »
    Will they still pay the line rental allowance if you don't actually have a line? Is there any check on this, or is having a phone number (voip) enough? I wouldn't be so sure that the department would continue paying 25 euro for something that's only costing you 5 euro.

They do, it is the same you can get €25 towards a mobile phone as well, despite there being no line rental on a mobile.

It was brought in, as it was considered anti competitive for Eircom to be the only one getting €25.

You are correct Cabaal, I haven't actually tried it, a little young for it. Unfortunately my parents aren't connected to UPC, so they can't try it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

Yeah they been doing this for a few months now. Can't remember all the details but if you go for the anytime world option, You get all your local and national calls plus 400 minutes to 21 international destinations for 18 euro a month. This leave you with 7 euro towards the rest of your bill not bad at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,039 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Yes, it is now an allowance, not a payment to Eircom.
    You may use the allowance for your mobile or any other phone system you might prefer.
    It is in the depts. blurb .. sorry don't have it to hand ....

• Advertisement
Advertisement