Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Internet/Other things!

• 03-09-2009 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Is there internet in many off campus houses? I found a grand house, nothing fancy, no tele, no internet. and my friend says its the best i'll get.

is there internet to be used on campus? i.e wireless internet, so this laptop I bought won't be a complete waste :).

Final question, im (hopefully) in Moyglare Village, does anyone know if the houses get cold? im hopefully in 104. It looks quite old, I was the first person there after a previous group pulled out and got dips on the biggest room (still small).

Is 75 yoyo's a week the cheapest I'll get?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 782 ✭✭✭tootyflutty

€75 a week is very good, and what you would expect to pay around Maynooth. When the other students/residents move in with, you should organise to get the internet in the house if you do want to have to go back to camps to use the internet.
    There is wireless on campus, and in one of the other threads someone posted a link to a map of it. From what I remember it is mostly new campus, around the arts block I think. But can be got other places :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,352 ✭✭✭funky penguin

I've gotten it in the Arts Block, John Hume, and Logic House (Basically because of the Tech Labs!). But thats only because they're the three places I've tried!

+1 on flutty, see if you guys can pool together to get wireless (if you get off campus). Or get one of those wireless usb things. They're crap and expensive for what they are though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 945 ✭✭✭CaoimH_in

ok cool, is there a password needed or is it public?

Apparently he's getting it installed.

ok, the other question, no idea how well the houses in Moyglare Village are at retaining heat? Much chance of me freezing my bits of during the winteer months?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,339 ✭✭✭✭LoLth

if you are renting a house you can always get a phoneline activated and get internet access hooked up. Just dont expect your landlord to help out with the expenses. also, it will have to be in your own name so if anyone else drives up a massive phonebill and legs it then you'll be left with the tab.

best bet: wireless internet for your own personal use or get a phoneline and internet access but make sure everyone in the house with you is either paying their part or not using it. had a housemate once that wouldnt pay her share of the phonebill because she didnt use the phone.... turns out she used the phoneline for dial up access (why? there was broadband!) and left her laptop connected all day everyday for nearly a month. she legged it without paying and I ended up over €400 short :( - which reminds me, "take it out of my deposit when you get it back" is not an acceptable solution to an outstanding bill either, landlord kept the deposits saying we had damaged the house... impossible, it was ina crap sate when we moved in, if anything we improved it by painting a few walls and re-upholstering the couch... in short, do not expect to see your deposit again. From experience , its rare that its given back.

trust, Ill piss on the beds of whoever who **** with my deposit. Wow, some folk sound like propper *****. I'm sure what happened there was of a worst case kinda thing.

...Reassurance?!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭LittleKitty

i lived in moyglare village last year, just down the road from that house.
    houses are cold, very cold in november we used to be able to see our breath in the evenings when we were in the sitting room. it was mainly coz we had no oil, coz we were broke. when we did get oil, our boiler broke and we had no oil til january.
    it was actualy warmer outside then in the house.

once you have oil and a boiler that works, i would say you will be ok.

disrupt work much? It sounds miserable

dont worry, we had a lot of duvets and blankets and i robbed a hell of a lot of turf from home, so it wasnt too bad. only we had an electric shower, i would have left.

iv heard of worse though, friends of mine lived in a house where it was so cold they had to break up the furniture to burn it to keep warm. other friends lived in cluann aoibhean, where the walls were actually black from dampness, their sheets were constantly damp, i distintly remember staying there for a few days and having to go to the doctor after becouse i got a lung infection. NEVER EVER GET A HOUSE IN CLUANN AOIBHEANN!

Burning the furnature?! Thats the best story I've ever heard!

hmm.. I do make a good fire tbh... and there are trees in the Green.. be fine :)

see those wooden plnks in the hot press, great for starting a fire!

• Advertisement

Thats actually genius.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,776 ✭✭✭cython

If you're looking at getting broadband into a house off campus, I'd suggest you take a look a this: http://www.upc.ie/broadband/student/

UPC cover most of Maynooth, decent speeds, no requirement for a phone line, and that offer means you only pay for the college year, rather than the summer if you're not around then. Also, no phoneline means you wont get stung with that bill

He seems to be organising it. Although I've a feeling he's just gonna hand me a bill when its done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

You can get DSL from Eircom or whatever in your name, and just not plug a phone into the splitter. Students are lazy, so they're probably not going to bring up a phone they can plug in in secret to make a phonecall.

Watch out for contract periods, if a contract is for 12 months then see if you can wrangle a salesperson down to 9 months (and get it in writing, very important if you go this way) or just go with a company with a shorter term. Do not go with ICE broadband. Go DSL or Chorus NTL :D

Advertisement