Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lease up

Options
  • 03-09-2009 10:56am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭

Hi,

I moved into an apartment Oct 08 and the lease is now up Oct 09 which I thought was handy cause I have just been made redundant.

I thought I wouldn't pay the monthly rental in Sept as it is the same as the deposit I paid at the start of the lease but the agency claims that I can't do that as the other two people will probably stay for another year and we have to find someone to move in who will then pay me my deposit even though the lease is up.

Is this correct or should I just not pay rent for Sept and move out in Oct anyway? At the same time I don't want to feck things up for the two people staying there!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,375 ✭✭✭kmick

The agency are correct. That is a security deposit and you cant use it in lieu of rent. If the lease is up though I dont think there is any onus on you to get a new tenant. That would be up the tenants who are staying on. In the interests of getting your deposit back it might be worth filling your room though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,514 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

If you're within the terms of the lease you don't have to get the deposit from the person moving in, you get the deposit back from the person you gave it to. Nor are you responsible for finding someone to replace you if the lease is up.

If the other two people want to stay on, that's up to them. You're own responsibilites end when the lease ends.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

a couple of seperate points to discuss from your post

1. No you cant use your security deposit for your last months rent

2. You dont have to find somebody to move in if your lease is ending and your not staying on.

HOWEVER if all 3 of you signed the lease and the others are staying on they need to find somebody to replace you and get them added to the lease.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭goonersnroses

kmick wrote: »
    In the interests of getting your deposit back it might be worth filling your room though.

So I might not get my deposit back if I pay up for Sept even been within the terms of the lease and my responsibilities ending with the lease??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 80 ✭✭goonersnroses

D3PO wrote: »
    they need to find somebody to replace you and get them added to the lease.

So can I get my deposit back or will I have to wait for somebody to be added to the lease?

All three signed the lease and there will be a rent reduction for the two staying on.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

So can I get my deposit back or will I have to wait for somebody to be added to the lease?

All three signed the lease and there will be a rent reduction for the two staying on.

My Gf was in the exact same position. 3 tennents on the lease, she moved out and the other 2 couldn't find anyone to move in so the rental company had to give her the deposit (but were not very happy about it).

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

There's no reason why you shouldn't get your deposit back but you can't use your last months rent.

The two people staying on has nothing to do with you. They'll be getting a new lease and a new housemate.

Whoever you gave the deposit to has to give it back to you once you've complied with all the terms of your lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,218 ✭✭✭beeno67

D3PO wrote: »
    HOWEVER if all 3 of you signed the lease and the others are staying on they need to find somebody to replace you and get them added to the lease.

Not quite true. The lease is up. The group of three renters is also breaking up. Everyone is due their deposit back. The 2 other people in house need to decide what to do next. If they wish to stay in house they should negotiate a new lease with landlord. Due to cost they may or may not decide they need an extra person. Alternatively they may decide to get a different place. None of this has anything to do with OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

beeno67 wrote: »
    Not quite true. The lease is up. The group of three renters is also breaking up. Everyone is due their deposit back. The 2 other people in house need to decide what to do next. If they wish to stay in house they should negotiate a new lease with landlord. Due to cost they may or may not decide they need an extra person. Alternatively they may decide to get a different place. None of this has anything to do with OP.

yes I tried to keep it as uncomplicated as possible. Give its an agent you know there not going to let this go into part 4 they are going to want a new lease signed but point taken :)

Advertisement