Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Attitude of the yes campaign

Options
1101112131416»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Who is Yee (and why does poster keep using this word repeatedly, and what rubbish is he referring to.

for ****s sake, you are delibereately trying to provoke an angry reponse from me by playing dumb

for the Nth time, that thread is about people who say "if you dont know vote no"

yee equals the above crowd and the above rubbish of a line

as for lies i gave clear examples of Coir posters blatantly lying and insulting peoples intelligence, which your yourself have confirmed as rubbish

then again leave it to the no side to put monkeys on their posters

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

ei.sdraob wrote: »

Aw crap you didn't write SOME of the no side. I predict 5 more pages of tedious nit picking

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭ei.sdraob

Sam Vimes wrote: »
    Aw crap you didn't write SOME of the no side. I predict 5 more pages of tedious nit picking

i know i know :D eagerly awaiting now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

ei.sdraob wrote: »
    for ****s sake, you are delibereately trying to provoke an angry reponse from me by playing dumb

for the Nth time, that thread is about people who say "if you dont know vote no"

yee equals the above crowd and the above rubbish of a line

as for lies i gave clear examples of Coir posters blatantly lying and insulting peoples intelligence, which your yourself have confirmed as rubbish

Okay lets deal with that post you are referring to

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62026462&postcount=92
    Originally Posted by taconnol

You're ignoring the fact that there is a lot of clarity and unbiased information out there. There is a 30 minute guide to Lisbon on www.lisbontreaty.ie"

if you can't take 30 minutes out of your day to educate yourself on your vote then don't vote.
    how many years and man hours did it take to draw this up and you expect it to be explained fully in 30 mins? I think I've already spent slightly longer than 30 mins on the boards.

You seem to think that educating myself on this treaty over 30 minutes from a biased source will automatically lead me to vote yes."

"could you point me to an unbiased point of view for the No camp?

I do not want this treaty and 30 mins of "explanation" from the dept of foreign affairs will not sway me.

I will vote no.

and anyone telling me not to vote for any reason will only encourage me to encourage as many "don't knows" as possible to vote no.

I have a vote and am entitled to use it as I see fit.

If you know, Vote
    if you don't know, vote No"

This his latest post from same thread.
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=62008971&postcount=1

Apart from the tossing of a coin line at end (really don't), he made some valid enough points. I think it was a case of hearing him out rather than starting a separate thread which was counter productive. anyway this from same poster from thread about pros and cons of voting for lisbon.

"Reading a board is one way but depending on who is on or who is reading and posting back you might not get what you want. Some threads can get quite long and it can be difficult to pick out the nuggets. I thought I had the hang of the minimum wage thing but alas... back to the drawing board.

The complication with issues like the minimum wage is that it can be challenged in the courts and what you thought the treaty or constitution says becomes something different. The quick answer is that until it is challenged we really don't know. We can make educated guesses but once it gets to court it's all about interpretation.

Search engines are good. There are consolidated versions of the treaties that will be amended by the Lisbon Treaty and comparisons between the Treaties and the failed EU constitution. This can help get a better handle on what's involved.

After that you're into blogs, boards, editorials what the latest journalistic reports. Who knows, maybe a vested interest will say something interesting that might sway you one way or tother.

Lastly - voting is more important and more valuable than not voting. Even if you haven't made your mind up on the day cast your vote, but make it a Yes or a No. Bring a coin and toss it if you have to but do vote.

Now to OP from this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=61932415&postcount=1

"Yes campaigners have been painting an image that all no voters are crazy, stupid and ignorant.
    Okay that line is a bit weak. But there have been veiled inferences of it from some quarters.

"They seem to think that coir and the shinners and other minority parties represent every single no voter."
    Would replace "they seem to thing" with some would think" but yes would go along with that for most part. (shinners and Minority parties do have councillors in the republic so they do have some mandate but they don't represent every single no voter"

"The use of celebrities to further the cause is not only patroninsing but a real concern, this is not the x factor!"
    Absolutely. Heard a bit from Denis Hickie who was linked to one of Yes Campaign vote and he pretty much said what was already said about the guarantees. Not sure if they should be used to sell an entire treaty like that. Haven't heard much from Robbie Keane on matter and sure if he went in with Higgins tomorrow in a debate he would struggle. Really its not good enough to use sports people like this. Fine if they want to go into politics but not this way.

Your complaint was with him tarring the whole no campaign with the same brush. You then went on to defend a post that tarred the whole yes campaign with the same brush on the basis that some of them did the things described in the post (in the last case you mention one person). Neither used the word some, both talked about the campaign as a whole and you defend one and refuse to stop nitpicking the other. This is not balance, this is you nitpicking.

Anyone with half a brain knows that both posters realise that not every single person involved in the campaign they are targeting has said these things. Would you drop it for gods sake?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,082 ✭✭✭✭Spiritoftheseventies

Fair enough. lets get back to the debate

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

Hmmm... a strong focus upon Coir here. I wonder why...

They are all hateful hateful liars I hope they all burn in hell for misleading the Irish public so.

Errr... okay. Oh, hold on, I hear a different line rumbing down the Dart line...

Libertas are all hateful hateful liars I hope they all burn in hell...

Okay, that's grand. Let's look to the yes side for some needed guidance...

What's that you say Fianna Fail/Fine Gael?
    Vote Yes or You'll **** up the Economy.

News, Einstein: the economomy's already ****ed up. And its YOUR fault.

Yes to Europe. Yes to Lisbon.
    Forgot to add in the previous bits there...
    Yes to property bubble. Yes to high cost of living. Yes to budget deficit.

So... Coir have no power what-so-ever, are not funded by the public at large and are not in government. They make posters which say '1.84 minimum wage' '0.2 voting strength' and 'they died for your freedom'.

Which is a bigger deal... ah-hah! But the rediculous anti-treaty conspiracy might have some role to play in how the people vote. The idiotic people who are scared by chimeras produced by the decaying corpse of Catholicism. The public who are 'nuts' who when they voice an opinion are 'paid shills', who are 'ungrateful brats', who have not yet been brought to heel by their masters. That's a nice one; run the country into the ground and blame the public for not endorsing an EU treaty which is designed to shift the competancies of the EU legislatures.

What is the attitude of the yes campaign?

Democracy sucks!

And before the cliched response of 'Oh.... but the public's attitude was directed by ignorance... has Cowan still not read the treaty. Actually how many TDs have read the treaty at all? Do they even care what's in it?

The worst mistake that the EU leaders ever made was ratification of the Constitution by referenda. Really, quite bizarre. France could not be bullied into voting yes (could hardly claim they would be forced out of the EU, now). But what really torpedoed the EU Constitution was the fact that there were referenda planned after its two defeats (although you can ignore the Dutch one, because it would have been ratified regardless, if it was the only stumbling block).

Remember Nice - Romania and Bulgaria will only be alowed into the EU if very strict criteria are met. What criteria? That they want to join? I seem to remember promises concerning restrictions on free movement of labour from the Accession countries to western Europe... but because Fianna Fail were in power they went by the board. As far as I know, the Commissioner promise is to be 'reviewed' a year after Lisbon passes, although I am open to correction on this one.

A one-line comment: idiotic cloned identity of Freeborn John (or paid shill, whatever you decide at the time).
    Big, vacuous comment like mine above: Soapboxing! No place in a discussion board- now, get back in your hole!

Yes indeed, when you change the poster's text and meaning you can make it look like they're saying that. Well done

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

Hmmm... a strong focus upon Coir here. I wonder why...

They are all hateful hateful liars I hope they all burn in hell for misleading the Irish public so.

Errr... okay. Oh, hold on, I hear a different line rumbing down the Dart line...

Libertas are all hateful hateful liars I hope they all burn in hell...

Okay, that's grand. Let's look to the yes side for some needed guidance...

News, Einstein: the economomy's already ****ed up. And its YOUR fault.

Yes to Europe. Yes to Lisbon.
    Forgot to add in the previous bits there...
    Yes to property bubble. Yes to high cost of living. Yes to budget deficit.

So... Coir have no power what-so-ever, are not funded by the public at large and are not in government. They make posters which say '1.84 minimum wage' '0.2 voting strength' and 'they died for your freedom'.

Which is a bigger deal... ah-hah! But the rediculous anti-treaty conspiracy might have some role to play in how the people vote. The idiotic people who are scared by chimeras produced by the decaying corpse of Catholicism. The public who are 'nuts' who when they voice an opinion are 'paid shills', who are 'ungrateful brats', who have not yet been brought to heel by their masters. That's a nice one; run the country into the ground and blame the public for not endorsing an EU treaty which is designed to shift the competancies of the EU legislatures.

What is the attitude of the yes campaign?

Democracy sucks!

And before the cliched response of 'Oh.... but the public's attitude was directed by ignorance... has Cowan still not read the treaty. Actually how many TDs have read the treaty at all? Do they even care what's in it?

The worst mistake that the EU leaders ever made was ratification of the Constitution by referenda. Really, quite bizarre. France could not be bullied into voting yes (could hardly claim they would be forced out of the EU, now). But what really torpedoed the EU Constitution was the fact that there were referenda planned after its two defeats (although you can ignore the Dutch one, because it would have been ratified regardless, if it was the only stumbling block).

Remember Nice - Romania and Bulgaria will only be alowed into the EU if very strict criteria are met. What criteria? That they want to join? I seem to remember promises concerning restrictions on free movement of labour from the Accession countries to western Europe... but because Fianna Fail were in power they went by the board.

Eh, no. Fianna Fáil campaigned for Nice on the basis that they would be opening the Irish labour market to the accession states. They were entitled to keep it closed until 2011, and some other member states have yet to open their labour markets.
    As far as I know, the Commissioner promise is to be 'reviewed' a year after Lisbon passes, although I am open to correction on this one.

There's no review mentioned in the agreement:
    Having carefully noted the concerns of the Irish people as set out by the Taoiseach, the European Council, at its meeting of 11-12 December 2008, agreed that, provided the Treaty of Lisbon enters into force, a decision would be taken, in accordance with the necessary legal procedures, to the effect that the Commission shall continue to include one national of each Member State.

Text is available here.

There's no real point in beating yourself up and claiming it was nasty Yes people what done it. The claims being made by COIR are blatant lies and distortions (and are highly visible, which is why they get discussed), and the claims being made by the other No groups like Sinn Fein are pretty much identical (SF's poster claims are almost identical to COIR's). Come to that, many of the claims being made here by No proponents are similarly gross untruths ("EU death penalty" is a fine example). Sure, Fianna Fáil are dishonest, but only at what you might call the "spin" level - the concern is more that they're incompetent.

cordially,
    Scofflaw

Yes indeed, when you change the poster's text and meaning you can make it look like they're saying that. Well done

Thanks. It takes a real disengenuous streak to assume a link between

'Yes To Recovery. Yes to Lisbon'

To a economic recovery predicated on ratifation of the Lisbon-Constitution Bill.

Or

'Ireland Needs Europe. Yes for the Economy'

To have anything to do with the economy.

Maybe you see lollipops and rainbows when you see pro-Lisbon posters? Or have I taken these quoted poster texts out of their specific context of the N11, thus inherently distorting their unbiased and honest messages?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭StealthRolex

If anyone wants an idea of what it's like for a country that says No to politicians that want closer integration with the EU I suggest they take a look at Norway.

Their politicians wanted to join the EU. The people said No, more than once.

They remain part of the EEA and deal closely with the EU at an economic level but not at a political level.

It might be coincidence but they appear to be somewhat less effected than the rest of Europe by the current recession.
    Did adversity in the face of a belligerent electorate force them down to route of actually doing their jobs properly? Who knows.

So, there is life outside of the EU.

Unfortunately if we want to do what Norway has done we need to vote Yes first.

I wonder if the reason our politicians are asking for a Yes vote is so we can leave the EU or is that just pure fantasy?

(apologies to Lincoln in advance).
    The Lisbon Treaty, Vote for a Europe of the politicans, by the politicians and for the politicians. Sure what would the people know anyway.

Norwegians - bunch of useless nay sayers and Noooers. Look that them and their economy. Where do they find jobs?

Thanks. It takes a real disengenuous streak to assume a link between

'Yes To Recovery. Yes to Lisbon'

To a economic recovery predicated on ratifation of the Lisbon-Constitution Bill.

Or

'Ireland Needs Europe. Yes for the Economy'

To have anything to do with the economy.

Maybe you see lollipops and rainbows when you see pro-Lisbon posters? Or have I taken these quoted poster texts out of their specific context of the N11, thus inherently distorting their unbiased and honest messages?

"Vote Yes for the economy" =/= "Vote Yes or You'll **** up the Economy". As you point out, the economomy's already ****ed up. The poster suggests that a yes vote will help it, not that a no vote will make it worse. It can't get a much worse.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

If anyone wants an idea of what it's like for a country that says No to politicians that want closer integration with the EU I suggest they take a look at Norway.

Their politicians wanted to join the EU. The people said No, more than once.

They remain part of the EEA and deal closely with the EU at an economic level but not at a political level.

It might be coincidence but they appear to be somewhat less effected than the rest of Europe by the current recession.
    Did adversity in the face of a belligerent electorate force them down to route of actually doing their jobs properly? Who knows.

So, there is life outside of the EU.

Unfortunately if we want to do what Norway has done we need to vote Yes first.

I wonder if the reason our politicians are asking for a Yes vote is so we can leave the EU or is that just pure fantasy?

(apologies to Lincoln in advance).
    The Lisbon Treaty, Vote for a Europe of the politicans, by the politicians and for the politicians. Sure what would the people know anyway.

Norwegians - bunch of useless nay sayers and Noooers. Look that them and their economy. Where do they find jobs?

Do you really think Ireland can be Norway? Really?

What about all the EU Directives Norway has to implement to gain access to the EU market, but which they have absolutely no say in drafting or approving?

Edit: This has nothing to do with Lisbon, of course (excepting the exit clause), and is a general argument against EU membership for Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

If anyone wants an idea of what it's like for a country that says No to politicians that want closer integration with the EU I suggest they take a look at Norway...

Norway happens to be very lucky in its natural resources.

Norwegians seem not to be as highly averse to paying tax as we have become.

Not a valid comparator.

Their mountains of natural resources which afaik are their main reason not to join the EU (they don't want to share) might have had something to do with it but that might also be a coincidence. I could point to Iceland which would be more comparable to Ireland but that might be a coincidence too

"Vote Yes for the economy" =/= "Vote Yes or You'll **** up the Economy". As you point out, the economomy's already ****ed up. The poster suggests that a yes vote will help it, not that a no vote will make it worse. It can't get a much worse.

Brian Cowen says "yes for jobs" = "no for no jobs"

http://www.irishtimes.com/newspaper/ireland/2009/0909/1224254135032.html

I was referring only to RandomName2's "Vote Yes or You'll **** up the Economy." comment because that's not what the poster says.

On the article:
    Mr Cowen said all the main business groupings and the Irish heads of several multi-national firms were “crystal clear” in their view that reluctance to endorse the treaty, together with the resulting perception that “we are somewhat a-la-carte in terms of our commitment to Europe”, would make it more difficult to attract and secure inward investment.
    So is Cowen scaremongering by suggesting that investment by big business in Ireland would be made more difficult to attract by a no vote or is he simply passing on the views of the businesses themselves?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,283 ✭✭✭✭Scofflaw

There's not much I'd argue with in this:
    “I am unequivocal in my view that a No vote in October would cost us jobs. In the business world, sentiment matters. You only have to look at how the international money markets work.

“Right now, Ireland is paying more than we would wish for borrowings, in part because of negative sentiment towards us. . .There is little doubt that reaffirming our commitment to Europe, and to working closely and constructively with our EU partners, would also help to restore confidence externally in our ability to manage our way forward.”

Love that last bit - in other words the rest of the world would know it wasn't just up to me and my crew...

amused,
    Scofflaw

Do you really think Ireland can be Norway? Really?

Did I say that? Really? Really?
    What about all the EU Directives Norway has to implement to gain access to the EU market, but which they have absolutely no say in drafting or approving?

Not denying that or the fact that despite what others might say about them not sharing they pump money into the EU and get precious little back.
    Edit: This has nothing to do with Lisbon, of course (excepting the exit clause), and is a general argument against EU membership for Ireland.

It is not a general argument against EU membership for anyone. It is an argument in favour of EEA membership and a pointer to an alternative way of doing business.

Granted we are not Norway and do not have resources such as oil (as an example) yet.

However there are two issues that Lisbon has brought up:

The Treaty itself and its relative merits.

The right to say No.

Now if you want to twist my words and suggest things can I suggest that If I said I was voting Yes so we could invoke the clause that allows us to downgrade to EEA membership, that being in some peoples eyes an invalid reason for voting Yes as it is an anti-EU stance would you tell me to vote No?

A I said in previous posts I am not voting No to leave the EU, I am voting No because this is a badly constructed treaty, to my eyes a minefield of small print and legalese jargon that is signing us up to God knows what.
    I presented Norway as an example of a European country where politicians do not always get what they want even if they do ask the same question more than once.
    Asking the same question in a referendum more than once is very pertinent to the Lisbon discussion.

I was referring only to RandomName2's "Vote Yes or You'll **** up the Economy." comment because that's not what the poster says.

Coir's poster just says

€1.84 minimum wage.

Could be talking about the minimum wage in Finland. In fact, it could mean, If HedgeHunter wins the Next Grand-National, the minimum wage in Finland will return to €1.84.

Yes to Recovery.
    No to Recovery.
    Pretty simple.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Coir's poster just says

€1.84 minimum wage.

Could be talking about the minimum wage in Finland. In fact, it could mean, If HedgeHunter wins the Next Grand-National, the minimum wage in Finland will return to €1.84.

Yes to Recovery.
    No to Recovery.
    Pretty simple.

It could be recovery in Finland they are talking about!

Sorry, couldn't resist.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

Coir's poster just says

€1.84 minimum wage.

It says "€1.84 minimum wage after Lisbon" not just "€1.84 minimum wage".
    Yes to Recovery.
    No to Recovery.
    Pretty simple.
    Which is different to "Vote Yes or You'll **** up the Economy."

And in light of his comment that:
    all the main business groupings and the Irish heads of several multi-national firms were “crystal clear” in their view that reluctance to endorse the treaty, together with the resulting perception that “we are somewhat a-la-carte in terms of our commitment to Europe”, would make it more difficult to attract and secure inward investment.
    do you still think it's simply government scaremongering? They're not even the ones saying it, the businesses themselves are. What do all these businesses have to gain from scaring people into mistakenly thinking that a yes vote will help the economy?

• Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Furious-Dave

I heard a crazy rumour about where Cóir got the figure of €1.84 from. What I was told is that they took all the minimum wages from the EU member states, added them up and then divided the total by the number of member states. I don't know if this is true, but it wouldn't surprise me :rolleyes: Some people don't seem to understand that the entirety of Western Europe would be severely effected by such a low minimum wage, and that they would never accept it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

I heard a crazy rumour about where Cóir got the figure of €1.84 from. What I was told is that they took all the minimum wages from the EU member states, added them up and then divided the total by the number of member states. I don't know if this is true, but it wouldn't surprise me :rolleyes: Some people don't seem to understand that the entirety of Western Europe would be severely effected by such a low minimum wage, and that they would never accept it.

Richard Greene speaking on the last word said it is the average minimum wage of the 10 EE accession states.

@StealthRolex, I don't really get the point you are making, so I'll just leave it...

On the article:

So is Cowen scaremongering by suggesting that investment by big business in Ireland would be made more difficult to attract by a no vote or is he simply passing on the views of the businesses themselves?

The poster campaign might not be explicit but the implication has been endorsed by our great leader himself. That was my point and I recall I used the same argument in a previous post albeit tongue in cheek.

On a personal note having worked for various "big Business" entities that outsourced their operations to Ireland and elsewhere I don't take what they say seriously. We have had inward investment that boosted jobs temporarily and then they move on. I would much rather see the effort and money be directed towards indigenous business development.
    A no vote may discourage some companies from setting up shop here but is that really a bad thing?
    Anyway the treaty is about the adminstration of Europe, not Ireland so an EU without this treaty should be no worse or better in business terms. There is not much in the Treaty itself that would encourage big business to set up anywhere in Europe. Big Business always goes to where it is cheapest and most efficient to operate. It only cares about politics if politicians are going to cost them money.
    The real nub of the "big business" issue is the corporate tax rate and a as that is not affected by the Treaty there is no argument there. One can only surmise that "big business" as other ambitions.

Cowen could be read to suggest that this vote is bout EU membership when he said “When the IDA competes with another region, whether from Europe or beyond, any possible undermining of our EU membership will be fully exploited, and the chances of the investment and jobs ending up in Ireland will shrink.”
    Since when has this vote been about EU membership?

If big business is threatening that a country where the politicians can no longer dictate to their electorate is a reason not to invest then it says more about big business than it does about politicians or the treaty.

All that aside, to answer your question, not based on the quote you so deftly extracted ;), but on the entire article based on quotes judicially embroidered by the journalist:D it would appear when you read between the lines that the subject of the article is indeed scaremongering as he "warned" and "stressed" "unequivicoally" using multisylabics.

The poster campaign might not be explicit but the implication has been endorsed by our great leader himself. That was my point and I recall I used the same argument in a previous post albeit tongue in cheek.

On a personal note having worked for various "big Business" entities that outsourced their operations to Ireland and elsewhere I don't take what they say seriously. We have had inward investment that boosted jobs temporarily and then they move on. I would much rather see the effort and money be directed towards indigenous business development.
    A no vote may discourage some companies from setting up shop here but is that really a bad thing?
    Speaking as someone who works for such a company, yes, and it puts to bed the idea that it's simply scaremongering. He's repeating what he's been told by the business themselves.
    Anyway the treaty is about the adminstration of Europe, not Ireland so an EU without this treaty should be no worse or better in business terms. There is not much in the Treaty itself that would encourage big business to set up anywhere in Europe. Big Business always goes to where it is cheapest and most efficient to operate. It only cares about politics if politicians are going to cost them money.
    Or if Ireland's commitment to the EU, and therefore the common market, is in doubt going into the future. Not that we'll be kicked out but it seems we don't want to go where everyone else is going.
    The real nub of the "big business" issue is the corporate tax rate and a as that is not affected by the Treaty there is no argument there. One can only surmise that "big business" as other ambitions.
    Um, no, I don't think anyone said anything about the corporate tax rate.
    Cowen could be read to suggest that this vote is bout EU membership when he said “When the IDA competes with another region, whether from Europe or beyond, any possible undermining of our EU membership will be fully exploited, and the chances of the investment and jobs ending up in Ireland will shrink.”
    Since when has this vote been about EU membership?
    It's not and no one's suggesting we're leaving the EU. It's about undermining our perceived commitment to the EU.
    If big business is threatening that a country where the politicians can no longer dictate to their electorate is a reason not to invest then it says more about big business than it does about politicians or the treaty.
    It has absolutely nothing in any way whatsoever to do with politicians being able to dictate to the people. They want us to vote yes because they think it will be good for Ireland and the EU, not to show that we're good little sheep.
    All that aside, to answer your question, not based on the quote you so deftly extracted ;), but on the entire article based on quotes judicially embroidered by the journalist:D it would appear when you read between the lines that the subject of the article is indeed scaremongering as he "warned" and "stressed" "unequivicoally" using multisylabics.
    It's only scaremongering if it's not true, otherwise it's rightly warning of the possible consequences of our actions.

Speaking as someone who works for such a company, yes, and it puts to bed the idea that it's simply scaremongering. He's repeating what he's been told by the business themselves.

If he is only repeating what he as been told maybe he's been scared by something he heard
    Or if Ireland's commitment to the EU, and therefore the common market, is in doubt going into the future. Not that we'll be kicked out but it seems we don't want to go where everyone else is going.

Everyone else is only going where their governments are leading them - need I point out that Ireland is the only country where non-politicians are getting to make a decision on this?
    As such Ireland is one of the few countries where an ordinary civilian has made a decent effort at reading the treaty and tried to figure out where we're going.

Um, no, I don't think anyone said anything about the corporate tax rate.

Well spotted
    It's not and no one's suggesting we're leaving the EU. It's about undermining our perceived commitment to the EU.

Whatever the attitude of the Yes campaign to the No campaign we are not all nutters. Some of us are committed enough to Europe to be prepared to say this is not a good treaty for civilians. It's great for politicians and great for big business so I would expect big politicians and big business to seek to have in endorsed.
    It has absolutely nothing in any way whatsoever to do with politicians being able to dictate to the people. They want us to vote yes because they think it will be good for Ireland and the EU, not to show that we're good little sheep.
    You see, _they_ think it will be good for Ireland. Some of us do not agree.
    And they only _think_ it will be good. They have no evidence and cannot prove it.
    It's only scaremongering if it's not true, otherwise it's rightly warning of the possible consequences of our actions.

Ah - 'warning' & 'possible consequences' = scaremongering. Gotchya :D:D:D

If he is only repeating what he as been told maybe he's been scared by something he heard
    He's warning that a no vote to Lisbon will make it "more difficult to attract and secure inward investment [from big business]". And he's being told this.....by big business, who are the ones who would be doing the investing. :confused:

Everyone else is only going where their governments are leading them - need I point out that Ireland is the only country where non-politicians are getting to make a decision on this?
    The decision has been made and they're going whether they want to or not.
    Whatever the attitude of the Yes campaign to the No campaign we are not all nutters. Some of us are committed enough to Europe to be prepared to say this is not a good treaty for civilians. It's great for politicians and great for big business so I would expect big politicians and big business to seek to have in endorsed.

You see, _they_ think it will be good for Ireland. Some of us do not agree.
    And they only _think_ it will be good. They have no evidence and cannot prove it.
    You say it's great for big business and then say that they have no evidence that it will be great :confused:
    Do you really think that the interests of all of these companies that pump so much money into the country and employ so many people here are so far removed from your own that what's good for them can't possibly be good for you?

The people who are best positioned to know whether or not this treaty will benefit the economy are saying it will and the people who are against it for other reasons are trying to play this down. I'm going to go with former.
    Ah - 'warning' & 'possible consequences' = scaremongering. Gotchya :D:D:D
    No, warning of impossible consequences=scaremongering which is what most of the no campaign are engaged in

Advertisement