Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

IT courses Vmware

Options
  • 03-09-2009 12:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭

Hello All,

Im looking for some advice, im a windows system administrator. Im comming to the end of a contract now next week. Contracts seem to be a bit thin on teh ground like everything else at the moment, so i was thinking about investing in a course most likely Vsphere Vmware.

As you might know they are seriuosly pricey approx €2500.00 for 4 day course including exams.

Has anyone done this course off there own back ie not paod for by company and if so which training provider did you use.

Thanks in advance

Jo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

You must take a course at an official VMWare training provider AND pass the VCP exam to the the certification. You can sit the exam and pass it but that won't give you the cert.

http://mylearn.vmware.com/portals/certification/?ui=www

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

I did the course a while back with a crowd in Dublin called Commtech.ie

It cost me about €2100 I think..

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Jonniealan

Thanks i'll have a look at the website.

Can I ask were you already working when you did teh course, or did you find it easier to get IT work as a consequence of taking the course.

Im already MCSA certified but dont think that enough anymore.

I'll be paying for teh course out of my own poacket so just want to be sure its worth it.

Thnks

Jonathan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

I got training with SureSkills on Fitzwilliam Street, and found it excellent. As with all courses, it very much depends on who the trainer is, they can make or break the week.

With the VMWARE course, I would recommend having a grounding in SAN technologies before you attend, all the nice features of ESX are based on shared disk access.

The course is not that tough, but I found it useful to have had access to a VMWARE environment to test the concepts.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭Static M.e.

Hi Jonathan,

No, I was already working before I attended the course. I only attended the course so I could sit the exam.

Tough choice if you have to pay for it yourself.. FAS.ie uses to give grants to people doing courses, I dont know if they still do but you might want to check it out.

I would also second what Ironman said.
    The course is not that tough, but I found it useful to have had access to a VMWARE environment to test the concepts.

I dont know if I would pay for the course out of own packet though.. I never think they are value for money and always feel disappointed when I finish.

Even €2100 would buy you a lot of books / Kit. The course only covers the basics of VMware, how to run it that kind of thing.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭IronMan

Ya, but you have to attend the course, to be able to get certified. It is one of the hot certifications at the moment (anything in the virtualisation, SAN, fibre channel arena seems to be), and if you had the VSphere certification ahide of its widescale deployment in industry, then I do think it would be an advantage.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭bonzer1again

www.proskills.ie
    they run that course too

Advertisement