Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to get a puppy to sleep in kennel?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 12:54pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi All,
    Just got a samoyed puppy 3days ago and was trying to crate train him but all he wants is to be outside. We have a kennel for him in the garden and just want to get him to sleep in this now. We've put his toys and tried treats but he wont stay in there for long.Any help would be much appreciated:D:D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Allgäuerin

Brilliant Idea to put a puppy after 3 days outside in a kennel in the backgarden! Thumps up! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

PUPPY OUTSIDE IN A KENNEL? IN IRELAND? HAVE YOU SEEN THE WEATHER LATELY?

please for the sake of the puppy bring him back to where you got him or find a good home for him, because it doesn't sound like you know how to look after an dog.

Left outside without his mother to look after him and mentor him when needed, there is a very good chance he will get sick a die.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Maybe 3 days is a little early for a dog to be put in the kennel, let him get used to his surroundings fist then train him in, as regards the above posts there is nothing wrong with leaving a puppy in a Kennel as long as there is a flap and insulation in the kennel and its 110% water proof. Samoyeds have an extremely thick coat which is more than capable of keeping them warm in our climate. Like i said though its is very VERY important that the kennel is 100% waterproof!

Being a bit hypocritical though as our samoyed ALWAYS sleeps inside! He has a kennel to go to during the day when we are out though!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

hobochris wrote: »
    PUPPY OUTSIDE IN A KENNEL? IN IRELAND? HAVE YOU SEEN THE WEATHER LATELY?

Yeah, it's really warm out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 350 ✭✭wexford202

He needs to be inside in his crate with the window open.

Too early for outside me thinks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭whos who

ah no im not leaving him out there just was trying to get him used to the kennel as weather wasn't bad today. Hes going bak in the crate now. Yes of course the kennel is waterproof:p

Also OP this dog might never get used to the kennel. My friend has one of those dogs for about 3 years and it sleeps outside on top of its kennel.

It never took to indoor sleeping. They love the air and sometimes the cooler the better.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

3 days isn't a very long time to spend trying to crate train before giving up.

You say pup wants to be outside, but not in his kennel. Does he look to get out, then look to get back in again? Are you trying to get him to sleep in the kennel overnight?

How old is he?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,045 ✭✭✭✭tk123

wexford202 wrote: »
    Also OP this dog might never get used to the kennel. My friend has one of those dogs for about 3 years and it sleeps outside on top of its kennel.

:D Is his name Snoopy? :D

OP we have our puppy 2 weeks now. The first week or so he wanted to go out all the time too but he was peeing more often then so I think that might have been it. He's settled in and loves his crate now and will sit at the back door once he's gone to the loo so he can go back inside to his 'den' :D I'd leave your guy to settle and get used to his surroundings, toys etc before trying to get him in the dog house. Our pup takes his toys into the crate now and will cry if the door is closed and he wants to get in!

tk123 wrote: »
    :D Is his name Snoopy? :D

quote]

Ha it would have been a good one for him :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭whos who

Upon reading my first post I understand I was unclear in what was saying.(it was clear to me but came out wrong if you get me) apologies:o

So basically I'll start again..........

We have him 3 days today and he seems to be very active but alot more active outdoors. He has gotta used to the crate and is starting to feel comfortable in it with his toys etc. Any chance he gets when out of his crate he heads straight for the backdoor. Hes left out to play and do his business but when when we try to bring him to the kennel he dont want to go near it! We tried treats putting toys in there etc but nothing works.

We just want to get him used to it BUT under no circumstances are we allowing or want him to sleep out there so early on. We just want to get him accustomed to going in there as he has with the rest of the garden!:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 164 ✭✭dungeon

whos who wrote: »
    ah no im not leaving him out there just was trying to get him used to the kennel as weather wasn't bad today. Hes going bak in the crate now. Yes of course the kennel is waterproof:p

You poor thing. Nothing like a misunderstanding for fellow posters to jump down your throat. Hope all works out with the new pup.

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭flahers

We have two Samoyed's and would never dream of leaving them outside, firstly they crave human companionship and secondly if it rains their coat will be destroyed.

These dogs are a full time commitement and I honestly think people dont do enough research before they purchase dogs. If you cant have the dog inside I really think you should find a family that will allow him to live as one of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

As other posters have said, some dogs just don't like kennels.

You've only had him a few days, I wouldn't introduce him to too much too quick, he needs to get used to his new house and home and learn things first. You can always put a treat in the kennel to get him to go in and come back out, never force him in or you'll scare him off it. I would concentrate on crate training and letting him settle in before introducing the idea of a kennel (I'm aware you don't want him to stay outside yet).
    Our older dog hates anything remotely like a kennel, won't go near it for love nor money. But you can try better once he's settled, remember everythings new and shiney to him and he'll be easily distracted.

Advertisement