Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Good band for a wedding

• 03-09-2009 12:56pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭

Can I get some recommendations for good wedding bands in Waterford please? The venue is small enough so I don't want a huge big set up. We're not into the usual Sweet Caroline and Rock the Boat wedding-type music. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 403 ✭✭counterpointaud

So what type of music do you want, ideally ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 262 ✭✭luvlylady

Looking for a good all 'round band to suit everyone's taste, nothing specific like Jazz or Swing. I know a great band that does Kings of Leon and Elbow and that type of stuff but don't know if that type of music for the full night would go down well with the older people at the party! Looking for a band that has it all, lol! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,641 ✭✭✭gscully

We used the Bottle Brothers for our wedding. Only two of them, but they create a great atmosphere, play good music, and crack some jokes at anyone's expense. They also do the DJ-ing, so you get two for the price of one!

Highly recommend them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 724 ✭✭✭shapez

I recommend Avalon. Absolutely brilliant. I have their number. I'll do the DJing for a good price. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 134 ✭✭well butty

shapez wrote: »
    I recommend Avalon. Absolutely brilliant. I have their number. I'll do the DJing for a good price. :D

Avalon are a good band but cancelled two weeks before i got married. Left me down on the day!!!:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭steve_

Id get a Gold or Platinum wedding band :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 97 ✭✭lynnemc

We too had the bottle brothers play for wedding. They put on a good show. great crack with them !

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭Paddy@CIRL

Was at a wedding recently with the Bottle Brothers, they were great craic, really got everyone going. Although they did play Sweet Caroline !

• Registered Users Posts: 8 kisshandra

Hi

Im getting married in a few weeks and booked a band called Texas wild cats. Ive seen them playing at a friends wedding. Their really good and play what ever you want. They also do DJ. They have a web site just google there name.

Best of luck:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭The_Thing

A few years ago I attended a friends wedding over on the island (Waterford Castle) and they had hired The Butterfly Band. I and everyone else thought it was an inspired choice. Just something you might consider.

All the best for the future, luvlylady !!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭savic04

Avalon are the best there is for sure IMO.

Very good at getting the place going, we booked them for our wedding and played at loads of other weddings, and I do think they are the best around...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 340 ✭✭dermo909

When is your wedding? I'm in a band called Fuse and we've played loads of parties/debs and pub gigs around the south east. Alot of people say they do all types of music but we really do and can tailor the night to who is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭Clano

The remidies or jam tarts are great bands i go to see them all the time.
    Both play a great mix of old and newish songs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 499 ✭✭tankbarry

What ever u do just dont ask boyzone at the moment :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 344 ✭✭joeduggan

try CAROUSE. they are a waterford band. unbelievable musicians. they cater for everything and will also improvise on the spot. briliant with a crowd . if you want more details let me know and i will give you their number.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 yung_fella

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Manic087

I've been to a wedding where the Jam Tarts did the afters...great laugh and good tunes!! And they can suit what you and the groom like as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 waterfordblaa

the butterfly band are the best wedding band for the older crowd i would highly recommend them.1,200 euros is their price for 2009/2010.

yung_fella wrote: »
    ive seen them live acouple of times. not great at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Think people are just pimping their favourite bands here (or there own band in one case)...and some of the one mentioned above are definitely not suited to weddings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 197 ✭✭vixenbees

yeah i agree with the above. some of those bands definately wouldnt go down well with an older crowd.

what you should do is ring around your 2 or 3 maybe's, and ask them to email you a set list and say its for a wedding. it'll give you a general idea of what the music on the night will be like, will they get a crowd dancing, will they keep the young and oldies happy etc.. Also-you can always give them a few songs that are not on their usual set list and ask could they perhaps learn them for the night, it probably wouldnt be a big deal so long as it isnt more than 3 or 4. good luck!

vixenbees wrote: »

will they keep the young and oldies happy etc.
    why do people worry about keeping other people happy on their own wedding day. its your wedding, u have paid for it, so you pick what band u want and dont be worried about anyone else. also, i am in a band myself , but i have actually recommended another band. so dont tar us all with the one brush.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

the band is really not that important as long as they can play a nice mix of oldies and new ones, i have been to a wedding where the first dance of the bride and groom was "here comes your man" by the pixies!

at the end of the day its what you want thats important, its your wedding day, so get a band you like, try not to worry too much about pleasing everyone, they will have a good time anyway!

if you wanna pm me i can put you in touch with a couple of mates of mine who are in different bands and you can talk to them yourselves to see if any of them interest you

From this thread the butterfly band are excellent and the jam tarts are very good if you havent seen them alot (set list doesnt change so much!)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Deise Tom

Dont know what he calls the band, but Dermot Power (that used to be on WLR) has a brilliant one. Heard him in Dungarvan about two years ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 musicman100

Firstly, yes I am in a band and NO I will not plug my band but I will give honest and impartial advice on whats available out there....
    Ask away, if you have any Q's or need advice from someone who has played weddings for 10years!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

joeduggan wrote: »
    why do people worry about keeping other people happy on their own wedding day. its your wedding, u have paid for it, so you pick what band u want and dont be worried about anyone else. also, i am in a band myself , but i have actually recommended another band. so dont tar us all with the one brush.

I hate this attitude. I've encountered many's the selfish groom in my time...they give song lists to DJs that would never be suitable for home listening, nevermind a wedding. But their response is "It's my wedding, I should be able to get played whatever I like"

here's my problem with that...
    1. Everyone else at the wedding will have a **** night and your bride to be will not be happy.
    2. Half way through the night you'll end up regretting your decision as you get tired of you and your two buddies the only one enjoying themselves.
    3. Weddings can be expensive for guests too. Remember, they bought you nice presents, got dressed up, and gave up their day to help you celebrate yours - they deserve to have fun too.

• Registered Users Posts: 424 ✭✭Bluezar

tankbarry wrote: »
    What ever u do just dont ask boyzone at the moment :eek:

Might get a reduced rate because you will only have to pay 4 travel expenses

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Ledger

I've heard the bottle brothers at a my sister's and a family friend's weddings would happily recomend them to anyone very mixed set list and good craic in between tracks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

seattle are pretty decent also.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12 maevey

Hi there, I can't recommend The Toniks enough. They played for wedding in Waterford Castle for close friend in September. Really nice guy. very accomodating. small venue too and had loads of room to dance. Was on the floor for the night. and none of that Rock the boat crack at all. They have a my space page or google them and you'll get a contact number i'm sure. Couldn't fault them.
    Good luck,
    M

Advertisement