Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Volunteer work in Galway?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 1:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

I'm involved in the odd charity event for raising money etc. but haven't done any 'proper', front line volunteer work in a while.

Used to take disabled kids swimming once a week and want to get involved in something again. Problem is that the school organised everything for us, so have no contacts as such.

I'd love to get involved with the homeless in Galway - it's a huge problem that I think people just fob off because it's not as obvious as palces like Dublin.

I realise COPE work with the homeless, wondering if anyone has done anything similar, who is the first point of contact or who do you get in touch with?

So if anyone has any info, about ANY volunteer work (Whether it be disabled/homeless etc.) and has contact info i'd be greatful if you'd post it up.

PS. Volunteer != charity

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

John, so pleasant to discover this side to you :D

There are an estimated 8-12 documented individuals sleeping out in Galway each night, think how wet and miserable it was yesterday. Then a huge number of people who don't have their own place, and are in hostels, temporary accomodation etc.

Working with those less fortunate is a noble cause, application forms and details are available, some or all work requires Garda clearance.
    www.copegalway.ie
    www.galwaysimon.ie

alternatively, get the phone book and look at 'Charities'

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Thanks, I have a few contacts in COPE from previous fund raisers so i'll give them a bell. If I get any useful info i'll post here incase anyone else is interested

snubbleste wrote: »
    John, so pleasant to discover this side to you :D
    OI! Sure this is the only side to me, noble as fuck, me :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 956 ✭✭✭Mike...

GVC email from this week
    SPECIAL MESSAGE – HELP URGENTLY NEEDED

We are changing the bulletin slightly to highlight any once-off vacancies that urgently need filling. These can be for fundraising, festivals or sporting events.

The dates for any of these events will be highlighted and we will be putting them at the top of the list.

We would encourage you to check out these vacancies as volunteering for them can be of great benefit to the organisation, while only taking a little of your time. They can also be great ways to encourage your friends to try out volunteering!

_____________________________________________________________________________

This fortnight’s vacancies are (more details on following pages)

Bag Packing (Sep5th & 12th) - Baboró International Arts Festival for Children

Fundraisers - Enable Ireland (14-19th September)

Daisy Day Sellers and Organisers (Sep 10th,11th,12th) – AWARE

Stewarding -Salthill Community Arts Festival, Fáilte Salthill (Sept 17th-20th)

Time Station Attendants - Race Around Ireland (17/18th September)

Denim Day On-street Collectors (Sep 25th)- Irish Youth Foundation

Fundraising Assistants - Anam Cara Parental and Sibling Bereavement Support (16th/17th October)

Fundraising -Fighting Blindness (October 25th)

Soccer Coaching Assistants- FAI

Programme Tutors - Junior Achievement Ireland

Art Therapist - Autism West

Music Therapist - Autism West

Relaxation Therapist - Autism West

Event Promotion - Twestival and GSPCA

Guitar Teacher - Knocknacarra Youth Development Project – Foroige

Creative Group Assistant - Knocknacara Youth Development Project, Foroige

Youth Club Assistant - Knocknacara Youth Development Project – Foroige

Afterschool Activities Assistant - Ballybane Mervue CDP

Homework Club Assistant - Fana Burca Homework Club

• Registered Users Posts: 5,095 ✭✭✭LadyMayBelle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 285 ✭✭pointofnoreturn

I heard these guys are looking for volunteers
    http://galway.twestival.com/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

These people are in 17 Mill Street, go in a have a chat.

Also check out the forum http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=383

Thanks for the info folks. Registered with volunteergalway.ie for the sake of it, but the only thing there that'd really interest me is animals (quiet down the back!)

Ideally I want to get involved with the disabled/homeless though

Hi John. Id suggest you contact the Brothers of Charity: they recruit volunteers who come in maybe for a few hours to help people do stuff like go to the cinema or out for the day. That is if youre interested in working with intellectually disabled people primarily.

Hi John. Id suggest you contact the Brothers of Charity: they recruit volunteers who come in maybe for a few hours to help people do stuff like go to the cinema or out for the day. That is if youre interested in working with intellectually disabled people primarily.

Thanks for the info. I've worked with mentall disabled children in the past so would like to explore other options, such as physically disabled (personal interest there) or the homeless

Or these; http://www.simon.ie/index.php?page=volunteer-with-simon

Galway centre for independent living don't seem to be recruiting volunteers at the mo...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you like working with animals, try the GSPCA. I think they need people to help walk dogs, feed the cats etcetera.
    Out by Loughrea somewhere.

Magnus wrote: »
    If you like working with animals, try the GSPCA. I think they need people to help walk dogs, feed the cats etcetera.
    Out by Loughrea somewhere.

Yeah the GSPCA was the only thing that I had much interest on volunteergalway.ie - I've registered and expressed interest with the GSPCA, but in the long run i'd prefer to get involved in something more meaningful than topping up a cat's milk bowl :p (They are looking for people to do check-up's on people who've adopted animals though... that could be fun)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Thanks for the info folks. Registered with volunteergalway.ie for the sake of it, but the only thing there that'd really interest me is animals (quiet down the back!)

Ideally I want to get involved with the disabled/homeless though

I'm not trying to be difficult: but what skills are you going to bring to this work? I suspect that lots of charities are over-run with well meaning people who want to help, but don't necessarily have the knowledge/skills to be safely put in roles that involve client contact.

Have you done any training in social care or social work?

Have you ever had garda clearance? (there's a backlog, some charities are actually not even willing to take volunteers who've lived overseas because the clearance wait is too long).

As I said, not trying to be difficult. Just to focus your thinking into "how can the charity make use of me" rather than "how can I make use of the charity".

JustMary - Yeah i've some experience/training and of course i'm as clean as a whistle - Don't need to go into the details on a forum though. It'll be up to an organisation whether I can be of use to them, no point in discussing fine details on a forum.

And as for the "What can I get from the charity" - There is nothing to get, people need help, it would be good to be able to help. I've enough on the CV (I know that's the way some people are inclined) already

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

saw an ad in the advertiser for the sammaritans, they are looking for volunteers

The Garda Clearance is a pain in the arse when you are clean as a whistle..still takes 6 weeks to come through...I know people who wanted to volunteer at the start of the summer and are only getting called in now when theyre back to college...

The Garda Clearance is a pain in the arse when you are clean as a whistle..still takes 6 weeks to come through...I know people who wanted to volunteer at the start of the summer and are only getting called in now when theyre back to college...

There's ways around this, but thanks for bringing it up, gonna get on to this ASAP

There's ways around this, but thanks for bringing it up, gonna get on to this ASAP

Is there?? pray do tell! It's a pain having to get one for each individual organisation..That's what i had to do anyway.pity they don't just give you a card or something saying 'Yes I'm clear!'

Is there?? pray do tell! It's a pain having to get one for each individual organisation..That's what i had to do anyway.pity they don't just give you a card or something saying 'Yes I'm clear!'

I'll PM you in the morning.

Sickener that you have to get one for each organisation - I didn't know this

• Registered Users Posts: 25,965 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Good luck with that.

'tis the organisation has to get it, you can't get it for yourself. You fill in the form. They send it off.

The thing you can get for yourself is the letter from the district superintendent for overseas purposes, but that's not a "clearance" for sensitive work.

I've heard stories that the guards aren't (maybe it's back to "weren't" now) processing applications until they'd been in for six months. That's why job ads that used to say
    "this position is subject to garda clearance"
    now read
    "applicants must be prepared to complete a garda vetting application".
    'Tis causing serious problems for some organisations that use volunteers (I can name one specifically, but won't do so in public).

I've always thought it would be good craic to ask some of the organisations that require it what their criteria are: for intance, if I had a conviction for fraud (I don't, btw, it's just an example), does that mean I can't work with small children?

• Advertisement
Advertisement