Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

creche fees

Options
  • 03-09-2009 1:24pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

Hi,

I'm a father of 2 year old daughter and my mife and myself have been trying to find 'THE Chreche' in town. The nearest one to us is [EMAIL="Girrafe@IFSC"]Girrafe@IFSC[/EMAIL]. anyone ever been a customer? I've heard a romour of Creche fees to be supported 100% from the government, from next year. Is it too good to be true or has anyone else heard anything?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,997 ✭✭✭3DataModem

zmeccano wrote: »
    I've heard a romour of Creche fees to be supported 100% from the government, from next year. Is it too good to be true or has anyone else heard anything?

I would consider that very very unlikely.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,264 ✭✭✭Cookie Jar

Hi,
    I've heard a romour of Creche fees to be supported 100% from the government, from next year. Is it too good to be true or has anyone else heard anything?

I think this is what you are talking about.
    Not sure of the details though.
    http://www.welfare.ie/EN/Topics/Budget/bud09_apr/Pages/ECES.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

You are confusing creche with early childhood education. A free pre-school place will be provided for all children aged three years six months from January 2010. It is not for childcare.
    FWIW I am a Montessori teacher and have worked with staff who worked for the chain you mentioned. Without exception I heard such places were run as businesses and not as child-centred as small, independent creches. I have had many children come to my service from such chains and what their parents told me about the care they received there (ratios not observed, "Montessori" care as a glorified playschool, staff with no English) made me wonder about the inspections that these services undergo. I have heard too many stories for it to be hearsay, so I urge caution against chains.
    There is no "THE creche". If you are happy with everything in the service, send your child in. If you do not like something, do not subject your child to an inferior service, childhood is too short for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Hi,

I'm a father of 2 year old daughter and my mife and myself have been trying to find 'THE Chreche' in town. The nearest one to us is [EMAIL="Girrafe@IFSC"]Girrafe@IFSC[/EMAIL]. anyone ever been a customer? I've heard a romour of Creche fees to be supported 100% from the government, from next year. Is it too good to be true or has anyone else heard anything?

My child goes to a Giraffe and I'd highly recommend them. There is no way fees will be supported in anyway next year, I think it must be the pre school supplement you are thinking of

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

My child does too.

SO far I like them:)SHe loves it there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

When we were looking for a creche for our son we visited one of the Giraffe creches local to us. I have to say it was our least favourite by far.

We were shown around by someone who came out especially from Head Office. From what I gathered this was her job, to go around all the creches and show prospective parents around, yet she doesn't actually work in the creche on a day to day basis. I want to be shown around by someone who actually works in the creche day in day out, not some head office drone :D

I can see why some parents would be impressed as the facilities are so modern but I found the whole atmosphere sterile and lacking any character. It was the only creche we saw where we were made to wear protective covers on our shoes when walking around. Now some people may think that is great but to me its completely over the top. It felt to me like the kids were hermetically sealed into each room :rolleyes:.

Each to their own but it certainly wouldn't be the kind of place that I would send my child to. As soon as we walked into the creche we picked I just had a different feeling, everything seemed way more relaxed and friendly. While I know all creches are businesses, Giraffe just felt way too corporate for me and all a little bit forced.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

We were shown around by the centre manager.
    I completely agree with no outside shoes where small children are crawling around but in older rooms I think it would be a bit silly.
    The outdoor play facilities are only ok but it is the city centre.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 10,661 ✭✭✭✭John Mason

http://www.omcya.ie/viewdoc.asp?fn=/documents/childcare/earlyChildSupp.htm&mn=chiu&nID=8

article
    Early Childcare Supplement (ECS):
    Supplementary Budget April 2009-Changes to Early Childcare Supplement

• ECS is paid monthly in arrears. With effect from March 2009 the rate was €83 per month per child up to and including the month the child reaches 5 years.
    • The June 2009 payment, in respect of May, will be €41.50 per month per child until the month the child reaches 5 or until December 2009, whichever comes first.
    • In cases where children are born or come to live in Ireland from January 2009, payment of ECS starts the month after they are first paid CB. The last made in the month after that in which children are 5 years or until December 2009, whichever comes first.
    • The last ECS payment will be in respect of November 2009, and will be paid in December 2009.
    • From January 2010 ECS will be replaced with a free pre-school year of Early Childhood Care and Education (ECCE) for all children between the ages of 3 years 3 months and 4 years 6 months.

For queries relating to payment of the Early Childcare Supplement, please call 1890 60 50 40.

http://www.pobal.ie/Funding%20Programmes/childcare/Pages/Background.aspx

http://www.pobal.ie/Funding Programmes/Childcare/Pages/CCCContacts.aspx

you should also ask about the staff turn around in the giraffe creche, re:continunity of care of your child

also ask to see the most up to date HSE Report and accident book

Moonbeam wrote: »
    We were shown around by the centre manager.
    I completely agree with no outside shoes where small children are crawling around but in older rooms I think it would be a bit silly.
    The outdoor play facilities are only ok but it is the city centre.

Sorry if this is OT but I could not let this pass and it is something I think the OP should think carefully about.
    Moonbeam, how can you send your child into a place that you consider to be "only ok"? City centre or not a child needs an outdoor play area-the Childcare Acts define this in law. Not only that but a child's interaction with the outside world is crucial. As someone who works with children I continue to be astonished by the attitude that something that is "only ok" will do for a child. A child only gets one go at this-it is not good enough to put up with a service that is "only ok". Would you go to a hairdresser that was only ok? A dentist that was only ok? It's a child, the most important thing in the world, but only ok will do for him or her?:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭MoominPapa

Don't want to come across as a Giraffe cheerleader but since some of the negative comments directed at the chain are misleading or simply wrong I will bite.

The blue shoe policy applies to the baby rooms only.
    Giraffes only occupy purpose built facilities, therefore they meet they easily meet all latest health and safety requirements. The play ground where my child attends in as good of the modern playgrounds which, for example, Dun Laoghaire Rathdown cc install, along with a soft, bouncy ground cover. Any Giraffe I have seen has a similar facility and I cannot imagine why they would be considered only adequate
    All the rooms are very well equipped and the centre has a bright, modern Northern European style which may not be to everyones liking.
    The workers are in general excellent, while most are non native English speakers we have never found this a problem as far as our childs development and relationship with the worker is concerned. As in any environment some are better than others but communication skills have never been a determining factor in our satisfaction with the workers. Staff turn around is certainly higher than where I work but plenty of the workers have been there since the start. I cannot understand how this could not be the case in all but small creches.
    There are protocols in place to cover incidents and accidents and policies adapt to events. For example my child was in an minor incident with a piece of equipment. Instructions were issued immediately to ensure it wouldn't happen again and posted in all rooms and the manufacturer of the equipment was contacted and all giraffes are having the equipment altered to ensure it can't happen.
    Along with the daily discussions with the room carers there are two managers available at any time as well as PTAs and regular get to gethers to staff and other parents, the last one being a bbq which the children helped prepare the food each room making food from a different country.

All in all we find the environment and quality of care to be excellent and our child loves being there and is thriving.

I have to say I find some of the comments on this thread, particularly the ones based on hearsay, distasteful and crass

• Advertisement

lazygal wrote: »
    Sorry if this is OT but I could not let this pass and it is something I think the OP should think carefully about.
    Moonbeam, how can you send your child into a place that you consider to be "only ok"? City centre or not a child needs an outdoor play area-the Childcare Acts define this in law. Not only that but a child's interaction with the outside world is crucial. As someone who works with children I continue to be astonished by the attitude that something that is "only ok" will do for a child. A child only gets one go at this-it is not good enough to put up with a service that is "only ok". Would you go to a hairdresser that was only ok? A dentist that was only ok? It's a child, the most important thing in the world, but only ok will do for him or her?:confused:
    They are only ok to be because I would prefer muck and dirt and adventure rather then the more sterile play ground area that they have:)
    The creche is far from only ok to me,she would not be there otherwise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

lazygal wrote: »
    You are confusing creche with early childhood education.

what a sweeping generalisation to make. i too am in the business, and in my experience any creche worth its salt will provide a high standard of early education. in fact most creches have been implementing curriculums underpinned by the government reccomended soilta framework long before the new ECCE places were brought in. though a creche is for childcare i.e. when a person leaves in their child to enable them to work, they fully support early childhood education AS WELL AS care.

It is not sweeping, nor is it meant to be. The OP asked about free fees. The free fees scheme, as you will know if you are in the business, refers to services that are specific to early childhood education and not for free creche places.
    I am fully aware that creches provide education, but generally they are not approved for the free fees scheme unless the service is provided by those with FETAC qualifications specifically related to early childhood education and not general child care.
    There is huge confusion about the specifics of the scheme-maybe a specific sticky for this would be helpful.:)

Giraffe do participate btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭beaushalloe

apoligies op for waylaying your thread, by just in reply to some of the comments.

most creches will have at least a mininum of half its staff qualified to fetac level 5 standard, if not level 6. this is enough for a creche to comply with the ecce free places so therefore the creche can provide free places.

back on topic, op i am not familiar with girraffe childcare, but like other posters have said the only way you will find 'the' creche is to visit, see for yourself, bring along your lo, and see what feeling you get from each place. it really is each to your own when it comes to childcare. some people would be annoyed to have a child sent home in the evening with soiled clothes, while others know that the child has had a fun filled day!!

best of luck in your quest!

Advertisement