Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Teaching Council Recognition

• 03-09-2009 1:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

My degree is rogonised by the teaching council to allow me to teach ICT (Computer Studies). I'm starting the PGDE and have the chance to also do the Maths teaching methodolgy as an added subject.

I'm stuck on a few points
    1. If I do the maths methodolgy is it possible to later to a maths course that will let me be recognised by the teaching council to teach maths?
    2. Would I need to do the maths course afterwards at all?
    3. Is it just wasting my time doing the Maths as it'll make no difference in the end?

Thanks to anyone that can help me clear any of this up.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭mrboswell

Joe-Bloggs wrote: »
    My degree is rogonised by the teaching council to allow me to teach ICT (Computer Studies). I'm starting the PGDE and have the chance to also do the Maths teaching methodolgy as an added subject.

1. If I do the maths methodolgy is it possible to later to a maths course that will let me be recognised by the teaching council to teach maths?
    3. Is it just wasting my time doing the Maths as it'll make no difference in the end?

1. Yes - there is a 2 year Masters upgrade course - here
    2. Yes and no - If you are looking for a job with MAths then the school may require TC registration for Maths but if you get an ITC job and the school asks you to teach Maths then you can...
    3. Probably - I'm just not going back to college, had enough and need money!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭gaeilgebeo

Joe-Bloggs wrote: »

By just doing the maths methodology in your PGDE , you will not be a qualified maths teacher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭sitstill

You would have to do the postgraduate maths course mentioned above in order to be qualified and recognized as a maths teacher. TBH even then, you'd be lucky to get a full time job. IT is not a very common subject in Irish schools, with very few schools having a full-time qualified IT teacher. In my honest opinion, you might be wasting your time and money doing the hdip if that is to be your main subject. I don't mean to sound harsh, but just realistic!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭pathway33

You could also have a look at this offerered by NUIM

Higher Diploma in Mathematical Studies
    Course overview:
    This is a one-year full-time course, though it may also be taken part-time over two or more years. The aim of this course is to enable graduates having some mathematical background attain the level required to teach the subject in schools. On completion, students should attain a level of mastery comparable to that of Joint-Honours graduates in Mathematical Studies.
    Students considering taking this course with a view to teaching Mathematics are strongly advised to talk to the Teaching Council in advance.
    http://www.maths.nuim.ie/postgrad/pgprogramdescriptions.shtml#HDMS

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Joe-Bloggs

sitstill wrote: »
    You would have to do the postgraduate maths course mentioned above in order to be qualified and recognized as a maths teacher. TBH even then, you'd be lucky to get a full time job. IT is not a very common subject in Irish schools, with very few schools having a full-time qualified IT teacher. In my honest opinion, you might be wasting your time and money doing the hdip if that is to be your main subject. I don't mean to sound harsh, but just realistic!

It's not harsh that's my exact worry so it really would make more sense to do the Maths methodology now and then a course later to become full qualified and recognised as a maths teacher

• Advertisement

pathway33 wrote: »
    You could also have a look at this offerered by NUIM

Higher Diploma in Mathematical Studies
    Course overview:
    This is a one-year full-time course, though it may also be taken part-time over two or more years. The aim of this course is to enable graduates having some mathematical background attain the level required to teach the subject in schools. On completion, students should attain a level of mastery comparable to that of Joint-Honours graduates in Mathematical Studies.
    Students considering taking this course with a view to teaching Mathematics are strongly advised to talk to the Teaching Council in advance.
    http://www.maths.nuim.ie/postgrad/pgprogramdescriptions.shtml#HDMS

Think that is the same course - either one year or two year option...

mrboswell wrote: »
    Think that is the same course - either one year or two year option...

I'd put my house on it that they are different courses :D.

Yours is a masters with 33% education and the rest maths

Mine is a H.Dip with no educational aspect.

Don't know which is better for a potential teacher. I guess the one (if any) which is recognised by the teaching council

I'd put my house on it that they are different courses :D.

Yours is a masters with 33% education and the rest maths

Mine is a H.Dip with no educational aspect.

Don't know which is better for a potential teacher. I guess the one (if any) which is recognised by the teaching council

Sorry - you are correct - I should have said its the same end result :p

mrboswell wrote: »
    I should have said its the same end result :p

But is it?

One could be recognised by the teaching council and the other not.

I think there is also a H.Dip in mathematics in maynooth which would be at a higher level than H.Dip in mathematical studies

But is it?

One could be recognised by the teaching council and the other not.

I think there is also a H.Dip in mathematics in maynooth which would be at a higher level than H.Dip in mathematical studies

I'm nearly sure they'd all be recognised by TC - I'm not going to check though - I've had enough of that crowed to last me a life time!

• Advertisement
Advertisement