Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

route from Dublin to Donegal - options

Options
  • 03-09-2009 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭

Is it faster to get onto the N3 and follow it all the way.
    Or else drive north on M1 up to Dunleer then turn onto road through Monaghan, Omagh etc.
    Both about the same milage, but Im sure one route must be easier and less hassle?
    any feedback? thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

I would normally turn off the M1 for Ardee > Aughnacloy > Omagh etc, or continue on M1 and turn for Armagh > Auchnacloy > Omagh etc. The N2 is a much nicer drive though and the roads on this route are very good now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Depends what part of Donegal you're going to and from where?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 602 ✭✭✭eman66

dcr22B wrote: »
    Depends what part of Donegal you're going to and from where?
    Doh! :o You are correct.

Just ignore me. Those directions are for Letterkenny. there's more to Donegal than Letterkenny ! (I keep forgetting :D)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,285 ✭✭✭100gSoma

going from south dublin (sandyford on M50) to Donegal town in south county.
    I posted this in the donegal forum and a user said the N2 was better route too. I seem to remember my last experience with the N3 being a bit of a horrible experience. stuck behind trucks and tractors the whole way on narrow bottleneck road. I have driven the M1 north to dunleer and then across to Monaghan a while back and it was quite ok. toll bridge on M1 but probably worth the couple of Euro if the dirve is more relaxed. Have not driven through omagh or north before but Im sure the roads are very good.

Personally, if I was doing that journey, I'd take the N4 through Sligo.

Dual carraigeway all the way to Mullingar, decent enough road to Longford then DC from there to Carrick-on-Shannon.

About 40km longer distance wise but AA Route Planner reckons that it will only save you 15 minutes by going the N3.

• Advertisement

Hey thanks dcr22B. This is exactly the sort of info I am after. As you can see below, google recommended either the M4/N4 route or else the N2. The N3 route is now defo not an option for me as everyone agrees its not great.
    whats the road from carrick on shannon to deongal town like. you recommend staying on the road through sligo, or taking the road north from carrick on shannon along lough allen?

I tried the route on google route planner and it suggests either the M4/N4 through Mullingar/Longford/Bundoran route 272km @ 3hours 45mins

OR

the N2 route north on M1 through Ardee / Monaghan / Omagh etc 280km @ 3hours 39mins.

Only 8km or 6 mins in it according to google. but Im sure real world experiences are different...

No problem, the road from Carrick through Sligo and on to Donegal is decent enough and in most spots, you'll find somewhere to overtake should you need to do so.

The only narrow spots are around Castlebaldwin but the remainder of the route is good wide single carriageway with sufficient hard shoulders for slower traffic to (hopefully) have the decency to pull in and let quicker traffic through.

As an indicator, I have done Lusk (near Dublin Airport) to Carrick on Shannon in 1h 55 minutes averaging 110km/h on N roads and 130 km/h on the motorways (awaits abuse for breaking speed limits :p ).

cheers!!! :) Sounds good that route. Unless I hear compelling evidence that the M1/north way is better I think I'll chance through sligo so.

• Registered Users Posts: 653 ✭✭✭Cul a cnoic

100gSoma wrote: »
    whats the road from carrick on shannon to deongal town like. you recommend staying on the road through sligo, or taking the road north from carrick on shannon along lough allen?
    When travelling from Leitrim to Donegal, I always cut off just after Masonite and head for Leitrim Village, Drumkeeran, Manorhamilton, Kinlough and back onto the Bundoran/Ballyshannon bypass. The road is windey and narrow in places (mainly the Roscommon part) but I have been travelling this way for many years and know it well. Leitrim Village to Donegal town about 1hr10, and thats steady driving, no speeding.

When travelling from Leitrim to Donegal, I always cut off just after Masonite and head for Leitrim Village, Drumkeeran, Manorhamilton, Kinlough and back onto the Bundoran/Ballyshannon bypass. The road is windey and narrow in places (mainly the Roscommon part) but I have been travelling this way for many years and know it well. Leitrim Village to Donegal town about 1hr10, and thats steady driving, no speeding.
    I can actually vouch for this stretch of road as well but it's horse for courses to be honest and by sticking to the N4, it should be a more relaxing drive.

• Advertisement

100gSoma wrote: »
    cheers!!! :) Sounds good that route. Unless I hear compelling evidence that the M1/north way is better I think I'll chance through sligo so.
    Trust me, having travelled that route before M1 to Sligo, it's bloody monotonous once you turn off the M1 and the road across from Omagh to Donegal town would not be the greatest piece of bothar on the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

sligo- though a prettier route is more hassle

I drive from Dublin - Letterk a fair bit...

I live in North County Dublin so I join the M1- get off at the exit for castleblaney- couple exits past ardee

Then take the N2 towards Derry, bypass Monaghan, pop in for some curry chips in Emyvale (gone down in quality of late) Aughnacloy, Omagh, Strabane, Lifford, Letterkenny, home and dry!

Prolly all donegal towners suggesting Sligo!

Thumpette wrote: »
    sligo- though a prettier route is more hassle

I drive from Dublin - Letterk a fair bit...

I live in North County Dublin so I join the M1- get off at the exit for castleblaney- couple exits past ardee

Then take the N2 towards Derry, bypass Monaghan, pop in for some curry chips in Emyvale (gone down in quality of late) Aughnacloy, Omagh, Strabane, Lifford, Letterkenny, home and dry!

Prolly all donegal towners suggesting Sligo!
    That's exactly the way I got to Letterkenny for the rally every year. Door to door in 2h30

It's Donegal Town the OP is going to Thumpette so there's no way I'd even consider going the M1 or N2 especially from Sandyford.

seems the overall opinion is M4 route for south county Donegal, and N2 route for Letterkenny... I'll go with Sligo route seeing as I am coming from south dublin and going for the donegal town. thanks all ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,185 ✭✭✭Thumpette

dcr22B wrote: »
    That's exactly the way I got to Letterkenny for the rally every year. Door to door in 2h30

It's Donegal Town the OP is going to Thumpette so there's no way I'd even consider going the M1 or N2 especially from Sandyford.

2 1/2 hours! You must have been practicing for the rally on the way! :P

Thumpette wrote: »
    2 1/2 hours! You must have been practicing for the rally on the way! :P
    Nope, 130km/h on the M1 and 110km/h the rest of the way. Empty roads when leaving at 7.30pm of a Thursday evening are no harm to the timing either.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Might be too late to offer my opinion now but I'd of gone M50 to finglas, out the Ashbourne road, Ardee, Monaghan, Omagh, Strabane (or over the hill to Clady, cut's out Sion Mills and Strabane/Lifford). On up to Ballybofey and through the gap to Donegal town.
    Just shy of 3 hours to Lifford on a good day. Suppose 25/30 mins added to that for Donegal Town.

Dunno what official name that road has, but it's so much better than it used to be. Been doing that run a few times a year my whole life and it's so much improved it's unbelievable. Ardee's the only town you have to go through anymore. Can be bad traffic there sometimes, but everywhere else is bypassed. Have to go through Aughnacloy too but there's nothing to that town at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

I'll tell you what not to do, dont go onto the M50 by mistake and not be able to get off if for over an hour, then turn round and spend another hour going back the way you came before taking the correct turn off for the M1, then 2 weeks later get a bill in the post from the barrier free toll company charging you €3 for going down the road, €3 for going back up it again and another €6 for not paying the fcuking tolls when you were there. I'm from letterkenny, how the fcuk am I meant to know about barrier free tolling!!!!!!:o

• Registered Users Posts: 46,095 ✭✭✭✭muffler

BlackEdelweiss please stay on topic.

Theres a ranting forum for stuff like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,967 ✭✭✭mrmac

If you do take the N4/M4, remember to bring some change for the toll.
    There's only one toll, if memory serves me well, but I can't remember the fee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,535 ✭✭✭BlackEdelweiss

muffler wrote: »
    BlackEdelweiss please stay on topic.

Theres a ranting forum for stuff like that.
    It wasent a rant, it was only meant to be a light hearted reply, if I had wanted a rant I would have done it before I saw this thread.
    In your own words "Humour never killed anyone."

• Registered Users Posts: 2,742 ✭✭✭donaghs

The N2 is still recommeded on road signs as the main route from Dublin to Derry. Strange though as the M1 is a much better road and pratically runs rights beside the N2 as far as Louth/Monaghan. With another long stretch of motorway due to run alongside it (the M3), the N2 looks like a bit of an oddity now as a route recommendation?

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭donegalgirl28

Might be too late to offer my opinion now but I'd of gone M50 to finglas, out the Ashbourne road, Ardee, Monaghan, Omagh, Strabane (or over the hill to Clady, cut's out Sion Mills and Strabane/Lifford). On up to Ballybofey and through the gap to Donegal town.
    Just shy of 3 hours to Lifford on a good day. Suppose 25/30 mins added to that for Donegal Town.

Exactly the way I do it going home to Dungloe. You've to go through Slane and all remember;) Going through Clady it's Ballybofey, Cloghan, Fintown, Dungloe. Done it in 3 hours 30 mins compared to 4 hour 45 mins l2 years ago. That Castleblayney bypass is a godsend, saves me about at least 20 mins and going through Clady saves another 15 mins.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

Could you not just take the road on your left comming out of aughnaclough that is signposted for ennsiskillen then you could headfor laghy from there 2 mins away from donegal town?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

From the Navan Road to Donegal Town about 3 hours Finglas Ashbourne Rd,Slane,to Kells and then Cavan Bypass,Enniskillan,Kesh,Pettigo,Laghy,Donegal Town,Its longer but hardly any traffic

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Mac055

Exactly the way I do it going home to Dungloe. You've to go through Slane and all remember;) Going through Clady it's Ballybofey, Cloghan, Fintown, Dungloe. Done it in 3 hours 30 mins compared to 4 hour 45 mins l2 years ago. That Castleblayney bypass is a godsend, saves me about at least 20 mins and going through Clady saves another 15 mins.

Yes that road is great, the Bellspark road outside sion mills, after that i'm home, just on the donegal side of clady but i still believe flying up the M1 then turning off at ardee she quicker. Usually took me just over 2 hours

Advertisement