Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Chelsea banned from signing players until January 2011

• 03-09-2009 1:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭

:eek::pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Carroller

Just in on SSN

Banned by FIFA until January 2011 for breaching a contract when signing some player from Lens.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,732 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

Jesus, didn't know they could that! :eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,349 ✭✭✭Samurai

its actually till January 2011 :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

2011 not 2010.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,425 ✭✭✭FearDark

Isnt jan 2010 the next transfer window...

Wow, harsh :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,680 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

lol

• Registered Users Posts: 6,588 ✭✭✭jaykay74

they'll appeal and it'll be reduced. Makes no difference for this season. It would only matter if they don't manage to get it reduced for the next Summer transfer window. Wonder what they did in this case thats any different from how other clubs act :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

FIFA gives Chelsea 1-year transfer ban

(AP) – 4 minutes ago

ZURICH — FIFA says it has banned Chelsea from signing any players for the next year because it encouraged a French player to break his contract and sign for the club.

FIFA said Thursday that Chelsea can't register new players, from England or abroad, during the next two transfer windows — in January 2010 and the next offseason.

FIFA's Dispute Resolution Chamber made the ruling after Lens complained that Chelsea lured Gael Kakuta to break his contract with the French club and move to London.

The dispute panel banned also Kakuta from playing for four months, and ordered Kakuta and Chelsea to pay Lens compensation and a training fee.

Chelsea can appeal the decision.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭yom 1

That's extremely strange.........but as has been said they will appeal and it will be overturned

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Statement
    On the occasion of its last meeting held on 27 August 2009, the Dispute Resolution Chamber (DRC) was called to pass a decision in a contractual dispute opposing the French club Lens to the French player Gael Kakuta and the English club Chelsea.

The French club had lodged a claim with FIFA seeking compensation for breach of contract from the player and requesting also sporting sanctions to be imposed on the player and the English club for breach of contract and inducement to breach of contract respectively.

The DRC found that the player had indeed breached a contract signed with the French club. Equally, the DRC deemed it to be established that the English club induced the player to such a breach.

As a result the player was condemned to pay compensation in the amount of EUR 780,000, for which the club, Chelsea, are jointly and severally liable, and sporting sanctions were imposed on both the player and Chelsea in accordance with art. 17 par. 3 and 4 of the Regulations on the Status and Transfer of Players.

A restriction of four months on his eligibility to play in official matches has been imposed on Kakuta. Chelsea are banned from registering any new players, either nationally or internationally, for the two next entire and consecutive registration periods following the notification of the present decision. Furthermore, the club, Chelsea, have to pay Lens training compensation in the amount of EUR 130,000."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,852 ✭✭✭homer simpson

As a chelsea fan this is terrible news, with an already old team can't help but feel this is going to be a big factor in our chances next season not so much this season, i blame one person for this, peter bloody kenyon! I only hope they give the same punishments to other spanish clubs and aren't doing this due the the vandetta against english football.

stovelid wrote: »
    FIFA gives Chelsea 1-year transfer ban

(AP) – 4 minutes ago

ZURICH — FIFA says it has banned Chelsea from signing any players for the next year because it encouraged a French player to break his contract and sign for the club.

FIFA said Thursday that Chelsea can't register new players, from England or abroad, during the next two transfer windows — in January 2010 and the next offseason.

FIFA's Dispute Resolution Chamber made the ruling after Lens complained that Chelsea lured Gael Kakuta to break his contract with the French club and move to London.

The dispute panel banned also Kakuta from playing for four months, and ordered Kakuta and Chelsea to pay Lens compensation and a training fee.

Chelsea can appeal the decision.

Copyright © 2009 The Associated Press. All rights reserved.

thread closed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,349 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Seems strange that Chelsea are singled out. Man United and Real Madrid have been at it for decades.

Seems strange that Chelsea are singled out. Man United and Real Madrid have been at it for decades.

examples ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Ronaldo tapped up by Real Madrid Berbatov by Man Utd, neither done particularly secretly.

Off the top of my head United - Jaap Stam, David Bellion and Berbatov.

Madrid - pretty much everyone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Wow this is crazy. No wonder they have been handed out new deals

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,910 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

I think this is something more than just tapping up - one of the articles mentioned inducing the player to break their contract. That's more serious than tapping up

Until the details of this case and the reason for judgment is made public then no point in comparing to other cases imo. It must have been serious to receive such a harsh judgment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

I think this is something more than just tapping up - one of the articles mentioned inducing the player to break their contract. That's more serious than tapping up

the contract is indeed the key here. Looks like he had a contract with lens and signed for chelsea. Obv without permission of the club. Being transfered because you know a team is interested in you is slightly less punishable apparently.

• Advertisement

jaykay74 wrote: »
    It must have been serious to receive such a harsh judgment.

I wouldn't say so. FIFA have had a bee in their bonet about English clubs for years now, this is the first chance they've had to nail one.

Still, it'll be reduced to a fine on appeal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,668 ✭✭✭String

Does this include loans aswell? If it doesnt then chelsea will be fine. They will just have to pay extra for loans but would work out cheaper anyway than buying players

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭Leixlip_Red

Peter Kenyon is a MUFC undercover agent !

Convincing Roman to buy older players and then out of nowhere... BAM !

He probably tipped off FIFA himself

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Hahaha, I love how the English media has talked about it so much that you all truly belief UEFA has a special vendetta against English clubs. This is nothing like courting a player the way Ronaldo was, Chelsea actively encouraged the player to breach his contract, which is illegal. Rightfully punished tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Off the top of my head United - Jaap Stam, David Bellion and Berbatov.

Madrid - pretty much everyone.

Which one of them broke their contracts in order to sign for United?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,685 ✭✭✭Tom65

Tapping up and having them break their contract are two different things. I would imagine this teenager signed a contract with Chelsea whilst still until contract at Lens. That's a guess though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

This is an odd punishment, considering how much Sepp Blatter loves English football.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭thorbarry

Ha imagine this happening to Man City :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,792 ✭✭✭✭JPA

For Chelsea's sake he better be like Zidane, Platini and Henry rolled into one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,462 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

It will be appealed and, at worst, they'll get a suspended sentence i reckon.

Kakuta is a cracking little player too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

Game on !

Lets see how good Carlo is know with a few injuries :D

Will be interesting next summer when Drogba and Anelka finish the season in a sulk and realise they can't leave as they cant sign replacements LOL

The only good news is Abramovich might finally see just how clueless Kenyon is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭Sizzler

dooferoaks wrote: »
    The only good news is Abramovich might finally see just how clueless Kenyon is. Surely he is responsible for transfer dealings and should pay the price.

Im surprised he was allowed stay after this TBH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYRSFTJ6_uQ

Seems pretty clearcut sentence if they are guilty of the offense. see page 15 and 16.

http://www.fifa.com/mm/66/98/97/statusandtransfer_en_2505.pdf

17 Consequences of terminating a contract without just cause
    The following provisions apply if a contract is terminated without just cause:

1. In all cases, the party in breach shall pay compensation. Subject to the provisions of article 20 and Annexe 4 in relation to training compensation, and unless otherwise provided for in the contract, compensation for the breach shall be calculated with due consideration for the law of the country concerned, the specifi city of sport, and any other objective criteria. These criteria shall include, in particular, the remuneration and other benefi ts due to the player under the existing contract and/or the new contract, the time remaining on the existing contract up to a maximum of fi ve years, the fees and expenses paid or incurred by the former club (amortised over the term of the contract) and whether the contractual breach falls within a protected period.

2. Entitlement to compensation cannot be assigned to a third party. If a professional is required to pay compensation, the professional and his new club shall be jointly and severally liable for its payment. The amount may be stipulated in the contract or agreed between the parties.

3. In addition to the obligation to pay compensation, sporting sanctions shall also be imposed on any player found to be in breach of contract during the protected period. This sanction shall be a four-month restriction on playing in official matches. In the case of aggravating circumstances, the restriction shall last six months. In all cases, these sporting sanctions shall take effect from
    the start of the following season at the new club. Unilateral breach without just cause or sporting just cause after the protected period shall not result in sporting sanctions. Disciplinary measures may, however, be imposed outside the protected period for failure to give notice of termination within 15 days of the last offi cial match of the season (including national cups) of the club with which the player is registered. The protected period starts again when, while renewing the contract, the duration of the previous contract is extended.

4. In addition to the obligation to pay compensation, sporting sanctions shall be imposed on any club found to be in breach of contract or found to be inducing a breach of contract during the protected period. It shall be presumed, unless established to the contrary, that any club signing a professional who has terminated his contract without just cause has induced that professional to commit a breach. The club shall be banned from registering any new players, either nationally or internationally, for two registration periods.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭m@cc@

Sizzler wrote: »
    Im surprised he was allowed stay after this TBH

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYRSFTJ6_uQ

That is genius. First time I've heard it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

Didn't the same thing happen Roma with Mexes? They we're banned for 1 year I think. Can't see Chelsea getting worse than that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,831 ✭✭✭✭Panthro

as a fan, im disappointed but im thinking as long as we get back the loaned out players of this season, we should be able to weather this kind of storm.

top of my head im thinking of players such as:
    sinclair loaned to wigan
    di santo loaned to blackburn
    ryan bertard loaned to reading
    michael machcienne loaned to wolves
    jack cork loaned to coventry
    miroslav stoch loaned to fc twente

im sure theres one or two others that have 1st team potential that i havent mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,709 ✭✭✭CR 7

Maybe the player signed will be their saviour. Is he even any good?

34sntr8.jpg:pac:

papagormo wrote: »
    as a fan, im disappointed but im thinking as long as we get back the loaned out players of this season, we should be able to weather this kind of storm.

top of my head im thinking of players such as:
    sinclair loaned to wigan
    di santo loaned to blackburn
    ryan bertard loaned to reading
    michael machcienne loaned to wolves
    jack cork loaned to coventry
    miroslav stoch loaned to fc twente

im sure theres one or two others that have 1st team potential that i havent mentioned.

+1
    Although Sinclair didn't cover himself in glory last weekend though, very greedy in a 4 on 2 break, should have passed and didn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 970 ✭✭✭Kirnsy

id say itl be reduced to 1 transfer window which still puts chelsea in a problem scenario with the African Cup of Nations....

drogba essien kalou mikel all gone for a few weeks.

rumour has it that they had a suspended sentence since the Ashley Cole affair.

serves em right :)

• Advertisement

selpher wrote: »
    Didn't the same thing happen Roma with Mexes? They we're banned for 1 year I think. Can't see Chelsea getting worse than that.

Good shout. Next stop for Chelsea might be CAS. It then depends on if there are differences in the cases and whether fifa have tidied up the regulations in the intervening 4 years.

http://www.mywire.com/a/AFP/CAS-orders-FIFA-to-cut/1105004?&pbl=27
    LAUSANNE, Switzerland (AFP) — The Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) ordered FIFA to cut its ban on transfers to AS Roma in a spat between the Italian club and French side Auxerre.
    In a ruling on Roma's complaint against FIFA, the CAS said world football's governing body must halt the ban at the end of the next transfer period this winter.
    In July, FIFA banned Roma from buying players for a year - or two transfer periods - over their controversial signing of Auxerre defender Philippe Mexes in 2004.
    FIFA had handed Mexes a six-week suspension in September 2004 after he joined Roma despite still being under contract to Auxerre.
    The CAS, which is world sport's final court of appeal, also said it had lowered the indemnity Roma were ordered by FIFA to pay the French side, cutting it from 8 million euros to 7 million euros.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,432 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

While it is strange afaik they did something similar with Obi Mikel who had a pre-contract with United and then suddenly decided he didn't want to play for them anymore. Lucky Chelsea paid the £16m hush money that time, that could have been a huge storm, clearly they forgot to here...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Peter Kenyon is a MUFC undercover agent !

Convincing Roman to buy older players and then out of nowhere... BAM !

He probably tipped off FIFA himself

Theres only one Peter Kenyon, one Peter Kenyon....

Seriously though, didn't Mexes break his contract to go to Roma a few seasons back? I don't remember Roma being banned from making transfers for two windows?

Sure, they are enforcing the rules which is good, but Chelsea can feel hard done by that previous clubs have escaped punishment. They have to set the precedent somewhere I guess.

I'd be amazed if this wasn't overturned or reduced upon appeal as usual. I often wonder why they bother with any punishments when an appeal usually ends up in the sanction being greatly reduced or overturned completely.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

jaykay74 wrote: »
    Wonder what they did in this case thats any different from how other clubs act :confused:

They got caught.

Y2J_MUFC wrote: »
    Theres only one Peter Kenyon, one Peter Kenyon....

Seriously though, didn't Mexes break his contract to go to Roma a few seasons back? I don't remember Roma being banned from making transfers for two windows?

Sure, they are enforcing the rules which is good, but Chelsea can feel hard done by that previous clubs have escaped punishment. They have to set the precedent somewhere I guess.

I'd be amazed if this wasn't overturned or reduced upon appeal as usual. I often wonder why they bother with any punishments when an appeal usually ends up in the sanction being greatly reduced or overturned completely.

He did and they were for a year but they appealed and were only banned for 1 transfer window. i can see the same happening to chelsea..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,046 ✭✭✭eZe^

Kirnsy wrote: »
    He did and they were for a year but they appealed and were only banned for 1 transfer window. i can see the same happening to chelsea..

That's such bullsh*t isn't it. Why has a concrete law that is open to appeal, there is nothing objective about this case or the Mexes one, they violated contract, and should both be banned from signing players for 2 transfer periods.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 1,713 ✭✭✭Soldie

As a United fan I'm hoping they'll lose the inevitable appeal. :P

eZe^ wrote: »
    That's such bullsh*t isn't it. Why has a concrete law that is open to appeal, there is nothing objective about this case or the Mexes one, they violated contract, and should both be banned from signing players for 2 transfer periods.

Indeed it is ridiculous.They should stand strong and stamp this out for once and for all. two transfer windows will deter any club to try this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭selpher

Poor Kakuta, just back from a broken leg and now facing 4 months out. Looks a cracking player though. Was in the CL squad aswell.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,397 ✭✭✭Paparazzo

JPA wrote: »
    For Chelsea's sake he better be like Zidane, Platini and Baggio rolled into one.

That'll be Diego, but he signed for Juve

• Advertisement
Advertisement