Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need help with 2 os installed

• 03-09-2009 1:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi so basically I have windows 7 installed twice on my partioned hdd,its keeps starting up into the one in C:/ but I want it to start in the D:/ one,also is there away that I can remove the partion? any help appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭jeffk

Firstly as far as i know you os comes on the c and cant be moved to another partition.You can move say my music to go to the d e etc drive.

To delete, move resize or do anything with partitions I use partition manager 8. Like any software you can get this on the net, but obviously i cant link you or tell you where.
    I say that one because its fairly simple and is there in a gui and no messing with codes or run a command etc.
    Just be careful if you do to much messing with the c drive you wont be able to boot windows(happened to me)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,382 ✭✭✭petes

Does it not ask you when you are booting up which you want to boot into? Are your partitions definitely setup correctly?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭thomasjad

It originally came with Vista,then i partitioned it to add windows 7,then one day I was messing with the windows 7 cd and accidentally deleted vista so then it wouldnt boot up to any os so i had to go and install windows 7 there :o so now im stuck with a partitioned hdd where i cant boot up into the os i actually want to use

thomasjad wrote: »
    It originally came with Vista,then i partitioned it to add windows 7,then one day I was messing with the windows 7 cd and accidentally deleted vista so then it wouldnt boot up to any os so i had to go and install windows 7 there :o so now im stuck with a partitioned hdd where i cant boot up into the os i actually want to use

Well if there isnt a lot of documents and/or you have a external hardrive. Wipe it and start from square one with the os you want?

yeah i suppose was just looking for anyway of avoiding that because I dont want to have to install all my programs again :(

• Advertisement

thomasjad wrote: »
    yeah i suppose was just looking for anyway of avoiding that because I dont want to have to install all my programs again :(

Its not that bad to do, its just daunting when you haven't done it before.

Did you try installing vista again, then in add/remove programmes uninstal seven?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 720 ✭✭✭kierank01

you should be able to edit the boot.ini (hidden) on the 'c:\' or boot partition, to have a second entry, to prompt on bootup, to choose which os you want to boot.

google boot.ini format, to find out the correct format

I should point out that I have never used win7, so the boot process may have changed (but I doubt).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mykro28

Of course you can boot an OS on a D: drive or any other drive letter for that matter. C: is just the first available letter for a hard disk, A and B being reserved for floppy disks. All other drive letters are fair game!

Here is a link with some info; http://www.vistax64.com/tutorials/82664-boot-partition-default.html

also try google "changing windows boot partition"

If there is nothing of use on the PC, I would probably reformat and re-install the OS.

ok I looked for the boot.ini file and couldnt find it so download this http://neosmart.net/thankyou.php?app=EasyBCD ....so I changed the boot order and now I'm in the os I want,only thing now is that my hard drive is still partioned and I'd like to use it so how do I go about removing the partition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭mykro28

I think this will do it, right click on My Computer and select Manage, then select Disk Management. Here you can remove a partition and make new ones etc. If that does not work, maybe there is fdisk or another partition editor on the BoodCD you downloaded???

Cheers

• Advertisement

I decided to leave the partion in the end but its booting to the right os now..thanks everyone for your help

Advertisement