Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i5 and other shiny bits starting to appear on hardwareversand

Options
  • 03-09-2009 2:37pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 674 ✭✭✭

Go to the new items from hardwareversand, i5 chip showing up, new boards, also a 117 euro 4870 and the 2 platter samsung F3's, might be a good time to hold off the builds until we can see what i5 is like

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

if anything from what i gather, the core i5 will be replacing the quad cores, so dont expect much with them if you've already had hands on with some quads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

funny how this came up today as i was just looking at this myself.

http://en.expreview.com/2008/12/09/first-test-of-lynnfield.html

Also it says on hardwareversand.de that the i5 is actually ready to be shipped!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭StopNotWorking

Noooo way! I've just finished my build a few weeks back. New ATi cards coming out.. new CPU/MoBos.. SSDs...

:(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,890 ✭✭✭Effluo

don't worry about that!

You pc will still play all the games for quite some time to come.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,134 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Huang is full of [CENSORED], and Toms is his mouthpiece.

And that Expreview thing is ancient... 9 months old. Since then Lynn has had a speed boost and HT has been removed.

I don't see any huge performance boost coming from this thing, at least in gaming. The fact that Intel will have 3GHz+ quads going so far under the €200 mark is probably the rub - they're going to take AMD on with pricing rather than huge per-clock increases.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,983 ✭✭✭leninbenjamin

Solitaire wrote: »
    Huang is full of [CENSORED], and Toms is his mouthpiece.

it depends entirely on the context you take his comments. I don't think he's taking about raw Gigaflops, more the performance gain of exploiting the SIMD architecture. you have to remember, certain algorithms such as the FFT have seen speedups near 100x when implemented in CUDA just because of the SIMD nature. Considering CUDA is still a very young platform, a claim like that may not be as ludicrous as it sounds.

having said that, I recently parallelised an app of mine, and saw near 10x speedup running it on my i7, the same as what I could have expected had i done it on CUDA. The power of the i7 is damn good, let's hope Intel can keep finding performance increases like that.
    Solitaire wrote: »
    I don't see any huge performance boost coming from this thing, at least in gaming. The fact that Intel will have 3GHz+ quads going so far under the €200 mark is probably the rub - they're going to take AMD on with pricing rather than huge per-clock increases.

looking at the proposed prices as-well for them, the i5 doesn't seem that great value for money, considering it has very little of what made the i7 such a monster.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 18,377 Mod ✭✭✭✭Solitaire

Ah, but platform prices will be significantly lower, and over €180 for a >3GHz Intel quad is peanuts - the Q9550 costs more. AMD still has the advantage here, but are still a tiny bit slower clock-for-clock on average, and said average is dragged down by poor results in Multimedia. Poor SSE implementation or do the apps simply dislike the Phenom microarchitecture? In any case Photoshop and heavy encoding users will have reason to veer toward the i5. Gamers and traditional apps users on the other hand... ;)

Advertisement