Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Season 2009 - The Finals Thread

• 03-09-2009 3:27pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭

WEEK 1

FRIDAY, SEPT 4
    Adelaide v Essendon, AAMI Stadium - Adelaide

SATURDAY, SEPT 5
    Geelong v Western Bulldogs, MCG - Bulldogs
    Brisbane v Carlton, GABBA - Brisbane

SUNDAY, SEPT 6
    St. Kilda v Collingwood, MCG - St. Kilda

Three home wins and an upset win for the Bulldogs I think.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,778 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

WEEK 1

FRIDAY, SEPT 4

Adelaide v Essendon, AAMI Stadium - Essendon

SATURDAY, SEPT 5
    Geelong v Western Bulldogs, MCG - Geelong
    Brisbane v Carlton, GABBA - Brisbane

SUNDAY, SEPT 6
    St. Kilda v Collingwood, MCG - St. Kilda

I'll go for Essendon to surprise Adelaide and I think Saints-Magpies will be very close... went for the Saints but only just, I reckon this will be the Grand Final.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,125 ✭✭✭lee_arama

I won't post up on the later 3 games since I haven't looked at them.

I'm impressed with Essendon's performances in recent weeks, and fancy them to beat the margin, currently offered at 38.5 points.

If I had anything in the bank, it'd be on like a shot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Hmmm I think that while the margin looks generous, the Crows are just too good, especially at home. Paddy Ryder and Matthew Lloyd are big absentees for Essendon. I'm gonna follow what what Sam Newman said on The Footy Show last night and go with Adelaide to dish out a hiding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 152 ✭✭legend73

Crows are too good for the Dons.

I'd back a Crows vs Bulldogs however they are likely to meet in the PF.

Crows by 39 at the half ;)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,143 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

dont know how anyone could think the dons would do anything in their form, and then with Adelaides form too! it could have been worse than the 90 odd points in it. Crows are looking good, and could cause an upset or 2. Some good runners in the middle (other than their official runner who cost them a goal running in front of the mark) like Vince and Mackay and Van Berlo. Their ruck work is excellent too, and they completely dominated here. And with Tippert and Porplysia in great form, they will be tough to beat.

Mick Quinn played for Essednon in this game too. Did ok in parts. Missed an easy set shot with his first kick, but scored a goal shortly after. Was finding some free space, but wasnt getting involved int het hick of the action. Only came back into it in the last quarter. Missed a shockingly easy chance tho, received a handball on the goal line, and when he went ot kick it, he completely missed the ball and it went through for a behind. Denis Cometti said he was the most out of place player he has seen in the finals. Seriously harsh on the lad because he wasnt that bad.

Geelong game was good too. Showed their character again. I wouldnt rule them out at all. Lions had a good win, and Judd being offered a 2 game suspension for eye gouging the dirty cheat. Riewoldt led the saints to a nice win too in a low scoring game over Collingwood.

Massive blow for the Blues tonight with Chris Judd suspended for 3 games (2 if he pleads guilty) after an eye gauge on Saturday night.

Also got pulled up for it when with the Eagles in 2007.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

Xavi6 wrote: »
    Massive blow for the Blues tonight with Chris Judd suspended for 3 games (2 if he pleads guilty) after an eye gauge on Saturday night.

Also got pulled up for it when with the Eagles in 2007.

Hmmmmm some money to spend so in the fantasy afl !

gucci wrote: »
    Hmmmmm some money to spend so in the fantasy afl !

well Carlton are out anyway so opnly affects them next season. fantasy league is close at the top!

WEEK 2

FRIDAY, SEPTEMBER 11
    Western Bulldogs v Brisbane Lions, MCG - Bulldogs

SATURDAY, SEPTEMBER 12
    Collingwood v Adelaide, MCG - Adelaide

Two tough games to call this week. I really want Adelaide to win, and I think if they do they could be a good outside bet for the flag.

Would like the Lions to win as well but think the Dogs have enough to get through.

Can't see a blow out in either.

• Advertisement

Had a treble running today, and Brisbane +26.5 is the final pin. Yorkshire too good, and Widnes not good enough (had the other lads +16).

Could use it too. I'm also reasoning it since the Lions have had a good past few games, and edge the Dogs in form IMO. Not saying they're better, but they should be able to keep it tight with some luck.

WEEK 3

FRIDAY, SEPT 18
    St. Kilda v Western Bulldogs, MCG - St. Kilda

SATURDAY, SEPT 19
    Geelong v Collingwood, MCG - Geelong

Saints have a great recent record against the Dogs and there's no reason why that should change.

Scott Pendlebury back for the Pies just TWO WEEKS after suffering a broken leg! :eek:

Marty Clarke named as an emergency.

Cats to win this one though with Steve Johnson and Max Rooke back in to a pretty much full strength team.

Collingwood for me, a team who had a dip in form but can dig it out now... I won't profess to knowing much about the squad depths available but as usual, my money's where my mouth is at.

Collingwood +16.5 points @ 5/6

And for the Australian feel, the Dragons in the NRL @ 9/10.

Two of them should scoop me €350 assuming I can haggle past what appears a draw in one of my basketball games (was only offered win - win for both teams, no draw odds, so hoping I was quoted off the 'win after OT' section).

And the Cats hammer Collingwood to make it to the final again. REally good game in the other where Riewoldt pretty much won it on his own for the Saints. I've just said Ablett is my favorite player on another thread, and I;d have to say Riewoldt would be second favorite! Dont know who I want to see win on saturday more! Both players deserve it, and I suppose whichever team wins, I'd love to see wither one of those get the Norm Smith.

Who will win? Saints maybe. They had a tougher test and had to endure a good Doggies performance. It was theirs for the taking, but Nick had other ideas. Geelong will be hard bet, and know how to get things done. Probably one of the hardest finals to call in a long time, even if most got it wrong last year!

Advertisement