Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pump insulation under floor boards?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 3:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

hi guys ,does anyone know if its possible to pump insulation beeds through a series of small holes in a timber floor to try and keep the heat downstairs in a house .dont want to go down the road of lifting floor boards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Anything is possible but its very extreme. I thing you might be trowing good money after bad!

Why have you to resort to this drastic action. Have you added an extension to your house and are loosing a lot if heat

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

is there any other way of insulating between GF and 1st floor without lifting floor boards?i thuoght that by pump beeds inthrough small holes(20-30mm) in places such as the hot press,build in wardrobes etc would be a better idea.can you hire out machines to do this kind of work on a small scale?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,786 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

bonzos wrote: »
    is there any other way of insulating between GF and 1st floor without lifting floor boards?i thuoght that by pump beeds inthrough small holes(20-30mm) in places such as the hot press,build in wardrobes etc would be a better idea.can you hire out machines to do this kind of work on a small scale?

Not a good idea on many levels.

a) Blown insulation won't flow horizontally very well to fill the gaps. It works in walls because gravity works in your favour, however in floors gravity would work against you and the insulation would only pile up around the fill hole instead of spreading out to fill the floor cavity.

b) You'd need to drill dozens of holes all over the floor because it's not a clear run from one end the room to the other. There are noggings joining the floor joists to stop them twisting. These which effectively form closed pockets between the joists. Pumping the beads at the hot press would only fill a small area, perhaps a metre or two long.

c) After drilling all those holes you then need to figure a way of plugging them so that the plugs don't fall in when walked on, and they'll be hideous to look at. You'd probably end up laying a new timber floor on top.

Only way to insulate is lift the floor boards or pull down the ceiling below.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

maybe fit insulated slabs to the ceiling downstairs,just a suggestion

• Registered Users Posts: 9,005 ✭✭✭mad m

Also if its a tassle wall downstairs? if you filled with insulation the wood could rot. A constant flow of air is needed. When I was getting extension, looking back I should of tore up floor and got it filled in with concrete plus insulation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭bonzos

the house has a fairly small floor area upstairs,the mail reason i want to do this is to insulate the ceiling space over the living room.i understand that there is noggins every few meters but lifting floor boards is not an option.i could possible lift a board in certain areas .im am not concerned with total coverage.

Advertisement