Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Benefit Cosmetics basics

• 03-09-2009 3:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭

Okay, if you have around hundred euro to spend at the Benefit cosmetics counter and only the benefit cosmetics counter and you have no other make up, What would you buy.

I don't really own or wear any make up and my Aunt loves the brand and has said she''l buy be the basics as a gift.

So what do I get? Any advice. Thanks to anyone who replies (I'm in my late teens btw, if that makes a difference)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,421 ✭✭✭bluedolphin

From a basics point of view, I suppose foundations/powders would be topping the list, but I've never tried any of the Benefit products for these nor have I heard enough rave reviews from my friends to tempt me to try so I usually stick with Lancome/Estee Lauder for these.

But I do like their 'That Gal' primer as I have quite dry skin and I find that this helps my foundation go on more easily and smoother without clumping to problem areas.

I also like their Erase Paste concealer (comes in a small little jar and lasts forever), which I find works quite well and is easy to blend with my dry skin and covers my nasty dark eye circles.

Also, I love the Dallas blusher. Bad Gal mascara is also quite good, but I think as far as mascaras go you can get just as good for cheaper (personally, I'm a big Max Factor fan).

You can get little sets - concealing, eyebrows, other different ones - which are quite good value for money because you just get a small sample of a few products, which is sometimes all you need because they last for ages anyway. Also, if you're not big into full-on foundation or if you want something light for the daytime, the Some Kinda Gorgeous compact is pretty handy. It's very light but will cover up the blemishes with no hassle.

Check out their website to see more of their products and I wouldn't be afraid to go in and ask someone at the counter for what products they'd recommend for your skin. Have fun :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭taram

Depending on the look you like they do some nice pieces that stand out for me:

Bad Gal waterproof eyeliner, excellent eyeliner to wear all day long, got little smudgy brush on the other end too.

High Beam (highlighter) mixed with little moisturiser to give a dewy complexion, I usually go for this and some extra on top of my cheekbones for going out rather than foundation because I am super pale.

Benetint is always fun, bottle lasts for ages, bit fiddly though, would probably go for Dandelion or Coralista for blush.

Hello Flawless is my sister's favourite foundation in the world, it's a powdery type in a compact, you can layer how much you need or want of it on, goes on really smoothly.

They've good stuff for colour correcting skin tones, so depending what's your face's weakness they probably have a product to correct it, so ask and see :) Lemon Aid is mine, get red-ish eyes due to hayfever, it makes them look normal again :)

Wouldn't bother with eyeshadows, mascaras or lipsticks there, definitly better stuff out there, but for face things, Benefit is usually something I'd have in my makeup kit. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,488 ✭✭✭pikachucheeks

Benefit is an amazing brand, I love it :)

1. High Beam. It's already been mentioned and I reeeally recommend it. It's an award-winning highlighter that you can use under your brows, inner corners of your eyes and on your cheeks, to create the effect of having amazing cheekbones.

It's been copied, but never beaten. To the best of my knowledge, it's 24 euro.

2. 'Big Beautiful Eyes' eye contour kit - has three eye colours (dusky pink, medium brown and dark brown) for creating the perfect smokey eye. Also comes with an concealer (boi-ing) and two little application brushes.

33.50 (I think)

3. Hoola bronzer. I haven't got this myself, but it's meant to be great. I know a few people who have it an swear by it. It's also won a few awards for being a great powder. You could even use it on your cheeks, as a blusher.

4. (if you can manage it!) Bad Gal Lash mascara - my favourite mascara. Gives you MASSIVE eyelashes and really opens your eyes up.
    22 euro

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Benefit is an amazing brand, I love it :)

1. High Beam. It's already been mentioned and I reeeally recommend it. It's an award-winning highlighter that you can use under your brows, inner corners of your eyes and on your cheeks, to create the effect of having amazing cheekbones.

It's been copied, but never beaten. To the best of my knowledge, it's 24 euro.

2. 'Big Beautiful Eyes' eye contour kit - has three eye colours (dusky pink, medium brown and dark brown) for creating the perfect smokey eye. Also comes with an concealer (boi-ing) and two little application brushes.

33.50 (I think

3. Hoola bronzer. I haven't got this myself, but it's meant to be great. I know a few people who have it an swear by it. It's also won a few awards for being a great powder. You could even use it on your cheeks, as a blusher.

4. (if you can manage it!) Bad Gal Lash mascara - my favourite mascara. Gives you MASSIVE eyelashes and really opens your eyes up.
    22 euro

Enjoy :)

Agreed on High Beam, its great, as is Posietint(a pinky blusher/cheek stain) I'm also a sucker for Bad Gal Lashes.
    I'm not the biggest fan of Benefit lip glosses, I miss Pout for the the pout plump gloss :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I really love the Big Beautiful Eyes palette, and their blushes.

The BBE palette is amazing for a general day-to-day eye-look, that's pretty soft. It also makes blue eyes pop! They also have the Smokin' Eyes palette, which is like a smoky-eyes version of BBE. I haven't tried it yet myself, but I've heard good things about it!

I own 10, Coralista and Dandelion from their blushes. 10 is pretty good for gentle contour/highlighting. Dandelion is a really soft pink, which works well on pale skin, and I find it a perfect shade. It doesn't make much difference if you've got sallower skin, though. Coralista is a little bit stronger, without being as strong and pink as Thrrrobbb (or however they spell it!). If you prefer bronzer, Dallas is pretty good! :)

I don't like the Bad Gal mascara at all... It's very so-so. There are much better ones to be found in Boots, for a lot less. L'Oreal, Max Factor and Maybelline all tend to do fairly good ones! :)

I like the That Gal primer, but I didn't find it great as a primer. I used it more as a highlighter.

I'd avoid their foundations though, tbh. The shade-range tends to be pretty slim, and I haven't found a formulation I like at all. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭Eerie

taram wrote: »
    Wouldn't bother with eyeshadows, mascaras or lipsticks there, definitly better stuff out there, but for face things, Benefit is usually something I'd have in my makeup kit. :)

+1

Their lipglosses/lipsticks are very harsh (i'm allergic to them so they give me an angelina-style pout but in a painful, non-attractive way!). Not mad on the eyeshadows either - i have oily skin and they are gone off my face in about an hour!

Love their "realness of concealness" set - it has a mini highbeam, mini lemon aid and mini concealer - which all last ages. Also love their blushers, bronzer and benetint/posietint.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

I bought a little box with a light pink highlighter and a golden brown bronzer and I find it wonderful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,503 ✭✭✭✭jellie

I have a few benefit products.

As others have mentioned, the big beautiful eyes kit is VERY handy. it has what you need to do pretty eyemakeup and little instructions. its pretty hard to mess up :)

i also use benefit bad gal mascara, and have benefit blusher.

I reaaally want to get the smokey eyes kit. i may actually go mad & buy it for myself today, i got paid on monday :D a lot of their little sets are great :)

ive had some of their foundations tried on me, but i wasnt mad about them.

most of the counters will actually do a consulation with you, put the products on you and recommend which would suit your skin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,713 ✭✭✭✭Novella

I'm quite a fan of Benefit, it's the make up I started using when I first wore make up! :)

You should definitely buy High Beam. It's been mentioned a few times so I'm not the only one who thinks it's great! It's a highlighter and it is constantly getting rave reviews in magazines, which I have to agree with. Every girl should have it in her make up bag. I carry it around with me all the time!

The first foundation I ever used was Benefit's liquid foundation Non-Fiction. I really liked it and I'd definitely say go for it if you are looking for a foundation. I also also have Hello Flawless, their new powder foundation but I'm not mad about it. I find it quite drying on my skin and I don't think the coverage is great.

An investment would be their make up brushes. I bought a foundation brush and a blusher brush when I was seventeen (so three years ago!) and still have them now, use 'em every day and in perfect condition! They are worth the money.

OP, I know you've specifically mentioned Benefit, but since you're looking for basics, I might just suggest MAC eyeshadows.

The pigment is great, lasts all day, hundreds of colours to chose from and obviously, very reputable brand.

15 euro each, so they're not cheap, but they're definitely a worthy investment, if you wanted to venture away from Benefit, at any stage!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 606 ✭✭✭captainspeckle

i would def recommend getting one of their box o' powders. they are a little on the expensive side but they will last you ages!! theere is a huge choice of shades, i use dallas myself and i really like it. they go on really nicely and last the distance. a must have for anyone starting out in makeup really. for founfdations, wouldnt really recomend benefit to be honest but that is just my opinion. i think that they rub off really easily on my clothes, and on my face in general so if you are on the huntfor a good foundation, i would definately reccomend mac or lancome :D

also, well this really isnt a basic starting out prodect that you would HAVE to have, but i would also reccomend high beam, the stuff is just amazing!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

Benetint is my favourite. I hate lipstick and lipgloss, so it's perfect.

Miaireland wrote: »
    I bought a little box with a light pink highlighter and a golden brown bronzer and I find it wonderful.

Perfect 10 :)

I have that myself and it's great for highlighting and sculpting cheek bones!

Advertisement