Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Strange Netgear Wireless issue - inconsistent?

Options
  • 03-09-2009 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

I have UPC broadband, I use their Atlantic Scientific modem and an old inehrited Netgear 'b' wireless router (with up to date firmware).

When connected via ethernet direct to the router or modem all works fine.

When connected via VPN over wireless all works fine, connection stays up for the entire working day.

However, when connecting wirelessly we get constant connection problems
    so I am hitting refresh/reconnect in the browser almost every second click.

Can anyone advise if this is a known issue or simply a problem with my old Netgear kit.

I have two machines - desktop wired to the router and laptop wirelessly connected. Setup is limited to the two MAC addresses and security is oldschool.

Thanks,
    Majj

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Have you checked to see if there are any other wireless networks nearby which might be interfering? It might be time to consider a more up to date router ok - any chance of borrowing one over a weekend maybe to see if it actually makes a difference?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi Dub, have checked before with Netstumbler and did change the channel do no avail. I did notice that 2 other networks were on the same channel. My signal strength is 100% and the other 2 less than 40% not sure if that's a factor.

I figure it's time to bite the bullet on the router -I know this has been asked many times. Can you recommend a wireless router for my needs, I am not a gamer or heavy downloader. Laptop has a N card, desktop has a G card. Reckon will go with an N router as I don't want to buy into old technology.

Thanks for your time,
    MAJJ

• Registered Users Posts: 1,679 ✭✭✭MAJJ

Hi, can you anyone recommend a wireless router for my needs ?

Thanks

Advertisement