Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Canon EF 80-200mm f/4.5-5.6 II Lense

• 03-09-2009 4:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭

I'm new to photography and have seen this lense going for what i think is a reasonable price, but i'm just wondering, what type of shots does this lense take? I'm presuming its just a better version of the standard lense i have the 18mm-55mm that comes standard with the 450d?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭democrates

Haven't used one but here's a review.

As that review says the 70-200 f/4 L IS USM is worth considering, you get a hell of a lot more for the price difference. I've fallen foul of the maxim myself "buy cheap, buy twice", but if you're not that into it the 80-200 might suit better budget wise.

Zooms aside you might look at the 50mm f/1.8, it's dirt cheap and you'll see just what a difference the big aperture makes to your shots.

• Registered Users Posts: 154 ✭✭dizbo

Well to be honest, i' just looking for a second hand lense for around the 100 mark. Not fussy on what type of lense, once i can take a decent photo either at a good zoom or very close up... Don't even know if i'd get something decent at that price. Def wont be buying a new lense anyway

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

It sounds like you're starting out in photography, I don't think the 80 - 200mm is a good choice for you for a variety of reasons. It's a very slow lens (meaning you'll need a lot of light to get a good shot with it) so it's basically useless for indoor work. The range of the lens is only useful in certain situations, you'll need to be well back from your subject in order to get a shot. It's also heavy and won't give you good 'bokeh' (nicely blurred backgrounds which help separate your subject from the photo).

The 50mm 1.8 mentioned above is a MUCH better choice for you in my opinion. Light, great for low light, very sharp lens, very versatile. It will allow you to shoot indoors in low light with no flash, can blur backgrounds out nicely etc. It will also force you to get close to your subject if you want close shots - doing this will teach you a lot about composition. You can get it new for about one hundred euro, and there are tons of them onsale on ebay uk second hand.

Sounds good... Anything i should look out for while buying them? Any specific make. Like i dont know what the difference between a sigma or cannon is. Or if there is a certain fit or anything

What about this item..

Is this what your talking about? And will it fit my camera?

Ebay

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Paul_Hacket

Yeah, that's the lens. my comment was referrin to the Canon 1.8 lens only, not the sigma. Sigma makes some okay lenses but they are generally considered to be a full step below canon in terms of quality.

So you's woud recommend that lense in the ebay link then????? Nothing dodgey or anything about it

Advertisement