Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upc deals, whats the catch?

• 03-09-2009 4:16pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭

Due to eircom bending over im goin to switch isps.

Iv been looking at upc deals, specifically the 77euro deal
    digital telly
    20mb bb
    phone

that seems to good to be true

but im suspicious, whats the catch?!

iv also been looking at smarts Home Value 5Mb
    http://www.smarttelecom.ie/home_broadband/more_details/Home_Value_5Mb.aspx

btw im currently on the
    "Up to 3Mb broadband &
    eircom talktime friends" eircom package

which is the best value the smart or upc?

thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 95 ✭✭jingx3

I heard there customer service is appalling.

comeonbanus.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

jingx3 wrote: »
    I heard there customer service is appalling.

UPC or Smart? UPC's phone support is pretty poor, as is Smart's. Smart's support forum is very good.

The UPC price can't really be beaten, and the speeds (up to 20Mbps) are often very reliable. Smart's speeds are not a problem for the vast majority of people, but your line quality and distance from exchange will determine what speed you actually get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭Verbal_Kint

I have a 10mb line in westside galway and speedcheck puts it at 2mb. who needs 20mb anyway, nice to have but any big downloads will be there in a reasonable time. Apart from speeds which are to be expected it does what it says on the tin. you miss a months payment your account is suspended and you pay a E10 charge. you miss two months and you have to pay about E80 to get reconnected. If you will be downloading+uploading less than 250gb/month go for the E55 deal.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

No catch really, UPC are by far the cheapest ISP in Ireland.

The prices they charge aren't unusual or particularly cheap across Europe, we are just use to getting ripped off by Eircom.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

Ya im well aware of ntls tech support, we used to be with them, then it broke and we switched to eircom, that was 2 years ago.
    I take it nothing has changed!
    we are tempted to go back, i cant abide this eircom censorship

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

skelliser If you do decide to go for the BB,TV and phone package, you will be eligible to get a laptop(Asus EEEPC Netbook ) for €1. You do have to make your order through carphone warehouse though. Even if you just go for the 20Mb BB alone you can get the laptop for €1.
    http://www.upc.ie/netbookoffer/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

skelliser wrote: »
    Ya im well aware of ntls tech support, we used to be with them, then it broke and we switched to eircom, that was 2 years ago.
    I take it nothing has changed!
    we are tempted to go back, i cant abide this eircom censorship
    i was in the same boat last november, fed up with BT over and over again, but i'd been burnt by both ntl (twice) and chorus (once) but decided to give UPC a shot out of desperation as they were the only option that could offer me more speed for less money.

i just went with their broadband and phone because i hadn't heard great reviews about their digital+ tv compared to sky+ so we kept that.

that was last november and although i've had some problems with their support in the past, they really do seem to be improving just recently and the broadband is great.

tbh it doesn't sound like you have much to lose by switching and maybe something to gain so i'd say give it a punt and see what you think. :)

DingDong wrote: »
    skelliser If you do decide to go for the BB,TV and phone package, you will be eligible to get a laptop(Asus EEEPC Netbook ) for €1. You do have to make your order through carphone warehouse though. Even if you just go for the 20Mb BB alone you can get the laptop for €1.

is this for real?!
    it looks like its only availible on the 20mb deal

sorry for asking again,:D
    but whats the catch?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

is this for real?!

sorry for asking again,:D
    but whats the catch?!

None it just a promotion being run till the end of October. I think its a great deal wish I could avail of it myself but I'm already a customer. Just remember the sale has to go through carphone warehouse.

The prices qouted on the upc site are excluding vat? are they?
    i cant find whether or not its 77euro inc vat or not

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭daveyjoe

DingDong wrote: »
    I presume if you buy through the carphone warehouse that you'll have to pay the install fee though. They waive the fee when you order online, think it's €50 or thereabouts.

edit: Correction, it's €30.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

The prices qouted on the upc site are excluding vat? are they?
    i cant find whether or not its 77euro inc vat or not

No, the prices on the UPC site are INCLUDING vat.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

chorus broadband is just plain sick.
    speed wise its lightning. its perfect!

their tv package aint half bad either.

aint had their phone service, but i assume its the same as any other, except no line rental charges.

either way you look at it, go with what you can afford. recession times and all :p

bk wrote: »
    No, the prices on the UPC site are INCLUDING vat.

are you positive?
    like the broadband deal thats 77euro IS 77 euro

are you positive?
    like the broadband deal thats 77euro IS 77 euro
    Yes... well €77.50.

Edit: By the way if you click through to the order screen it will tell you that "All prices include VAT."

my current situation is eircom bb plus anytime talk minutes which works out as ~120euro per 2 months
    my current basic ntl is 67euro per same time period.

thats 187euro.

now this upc deal is 77per month which is 154euro

a saving of ~30 per 2 months and a total saving over the year of ~180euro

iv have left out the call charges but have i missed anything else?

my current situation is eircom bb plus anytime talk minutes which works out as ~120euro per 2 months
    my current basic ntl is 67euro per same time period.

thats 187euro.

now this upc deal is 77per month which is 154euro

a saving of ~30 per 2 months and a total saving over the year of ~180euro

iv have left out the call charges but have i missed anything else?
    Nope, well except the fact that UPC have much better broadband speeds.

cheers, looks like il be heading back to ntl
    *cringe*

cheers, looks like il be heading back to ntl
    *cringe*
    i was hesitent at first too, but it's been a much better experience for me than it ever was with NTL or Chorus.

just to whet your appetite, I did a screengrab of the web interface for my torrent client (with the names blocked out to protect the guilty). :)

speedytorrents-1.jpg

it's from a private tracker, not a public one, but it's still all good. even with well seeded public trackers my speeds are more tha good enough.

that pretty good, especially for the low seeded torrents
    are they your average speeds?
    where are you located as well?
    whats it like in the evenings?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 986 ✭✭✭Bill-e

UPC/Chorus. Their internet/phone package is spot on, get it.

That's where you should leave it, the TV service they offer has been the bane of my life for the past 6 years or more. I have the 1908 number on my speed dial number 2. I can name off and recognise half the call centre staff by voice. It's great that they open the call centers later then they used to. I think the guys in the office here were getting annoyed with my rants and raves to chorus every couple of days.
    At christmas my TV service was down for 3 weeks, and they just ad and remove channels at will. They treat existing customers like sh!t and their sales people will tell you what ever you want to hear just to get you to sign on the dotted line, even if it pure lies. The series link option they advertise doesn't work for 90% of the people out there. Also, they are unwilling to refund or give you anything extra in compensation for their complete shambolic service that they offer. they charged me for the 3 weeks it was broken at christmas! Anyone you speak to doesn't have the authority to do anything.

In conclusion, if you wish to stay sane just leave off the TV package. :cool:

ya, i would but the 77euro deal is the only one i save money on!

that does sound pretty bad, would you say that the tv is rubbish so?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sgie87

I have just been on the phone with UPC,they have upgraded me from my 20mb ultra package to the "new ultra" package for €84 per month.

There new limit on the "Unlimited" broadband is now 110GB per month,

I would not recommend them.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

sgie87 wrote: »
    I have just been on the phone with UPC,they have upgraded me from my 20mb package to the "ultra" package for €84 per month.

There new limit on the "Unlimited" broadband is now 110GB per month,

I would not recommend them.

Sounds wrong to be honest.Ive just been onto them about a phone and broadband package and I can get the 20meg ultra with all local and national calls for 60 a month incl VAT.
    It also has no cap on the Ultra package either.

This deal here : http://www.upc.ie/phone/diamonddeal/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 sgie87

Ok, six months ago i signed up for this package
    "
    20Mb Broadband Ultra

Download: 20Mb

Upload: 1.5Mb

Suitable for: anyone who downloads large files, challenges other gamers around the world, and more.

Wireless Router: FREE
    20Mb Broadband Ultra with FREE wireless router for just €42 a month and FREE connection when you order online. "

All was perfect,untill this month,they have doubled the price to €84 a month.When i rang them as to why this happend they informed me that i had broken there acceptable usage policy by downloading 110GB in a 30 day period. Once you brake this limit you are put on a 84€ package(not advertised)

"there is no monthly usage cap for Broadband Express or Ultra. All broadband services are subject to our acceptable usage policy."

I know people who have downloaded far more and not been put on the new price plan,
    There old fair usage policy on the 20mb package was up to 250gb in a 31 day period, it is now down to 110GB,im my area anyway.

Unlimited is does not mean unlimited ,read your contract or some of the other posts in this forum.

Edit :
    have just got off the phone with UPC again,the FUP(fair usage policy) is still at 250Gb per 30 day period, They could not tell me why i was put up to the higher pricing bracket ,but the cusomter service rep,told me a new bill would be issued immediately with the €42 per month 20mb package on it.

So good result.
    But do be awear that UPC can change the FUP anytime they want without your permission,it is in the contract.

As for the quailty of the line, i get a constant 20mb/s except for 4pm-7pm where it drops to around 14mb/s,and the line has only droped out for about an hour in the last 6 months,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 363 ✭✭Irish-Lass

I have triple play with UPC and have to say have had no problem with them at all - tv is grand have setanta and espn as extras on the service but broadband has been great, did have problems with the phone the first 3/4 weeks but got on to the techs and they were out and sorted the problem no problem. Very happy with the package we have save a bundle not having to pay eircom the line rental.

sgie87 wrote: »
    All was perfect,untill this month,they have doubled the price to €84 a month.When i rang them as to why this happend they informed me that i had broken there acceptable usage policy by downloading 110GB in a 30 day period. Once you brake this limit you are put on a 84€ package(not advertised)

i have a letter from them here from the last time I exceeded their mysterious (until that point) FUP that clearly states it is 250gb per month. i know i'm not the only one who got one of these letters from them either, quite a few people did.

there's going to be an awful lot of noise if they think they can move the goalposts after clearly marking them out with these letters.

i'd like to see them explain in court how they considered 250gb "normal usage" in Feb/March, but now all of a sudden they consider it to be less than half that.

SCAN0027.jpg

that pretty good, especially for the low seeded torrents
    are they your average speeds?
    where are you located as well?
    whats it like in the evenings?
    just to clarify, i'm a member of a private torrent site, which is where those torrents were from so everything is well seeded by only a few people.

there's no leeching so you tend to get full whack out of whatever you download such as those 4 linux ISO's there in my screengrab. ;)

oh, and i'm in navan.

so the short answer is YES, you *can* get those speeds if you download from the right places. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,352 ✭✭✭daveyboy_1ie

I am with UPC and have the 20MB BB, phones and telly (with Sky Movies and Sky Sports prmier package) and pay €130 a month. So far very happy with service and i play a lot of online gameing so the quality is superb, unbeatable actually. I play on a lot of UK servers and beat their pings or rates per minute everytime so you cant argue with that.

Although if you only want internet for browsing and streaming then the 10MB package should be more than enough :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭itsonlywords

chorus broadband is just plain sick.
    speed wise its lightning. its perfect!

their tv package aint half bad either.

aint had their phone service, but i assume its the same as any other, except no line rental charges.

either way you look at it, go with what you can afford. recession times and all :p
    Just for the record, their phone service is terrible. Regular breakdowns. Lose broadband, lose phone also. No emergencies even. Support non existant. I am leaving after 18 months of hardship in my supply

Advertisement