Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

upc deals, whats the catch?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

thanks for that sgie87 and vibe666. excellent info.

So there is a catch!!
    thats fairly sneaky from ntl

im kinda on the fence now, i use torrents so im worried i will get caught out here although im not sure i could get thru 250gb up/down per month. I might tho with the incresed speed.

anyone else get these letters.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

hmm so many different experiences, i do however believe that with ntl the service is related to location.
    itsonlywords, where are you located?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭itsonlywords

skelliser wrote: »
    hmm so many different experiences, i do however believe that with ntl the service is related to location.
    itsonlywords, where are you located?
    Waterford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

There terms of service are no different to many other ISP's TBH.

If you don't want to go with them then your probably better off not getting any broadband package. They all pull this crap.

Friend has the TV and Broadband and never had a problem. It depends on if there is problems with the infrastructure in your area or not. If there are problems and you really aren't getting what you are paying for then you would be able to cancel the service and do so with your bank if they start giving you hassle.

All ISP's are the same. I wouldn't not go with one because other people have had a bad experience or two. Its when the general opinion is that its crap that you should steer clear.

Will be switching to them shortly from Digiweb whose cap is just way too low for the price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

skelliser wrote: »
    ...although im not sure i could get thru 250gb up/down per month. I might tho with the incresed speed.
    it's not that hard if you're a torrenter.

remember it's what you download plus what you upload so 150gb downloaded ad 100gb uploaded is your limit (or any combination of up/down traffic).

although if this thing about reducing the 250gb FUP to 110gb is true, UPC are going to find themselves on the wrong end of a very sharp pokey stick! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I think you'd have to be a real hoarder of media to reach that cap each month TBH.

I almost stay within the Digiweb 30GB cap with a housemate and both of us use torrents in the house. We'd definitely download more if we had a bigger cap but I don't think we'd ever hit a 250GB limit in a month between two people.

thebman wrote: »
    I think you'd have to be a real hoarder of media to reach that cap each month TBH.
    nope, just using it as it's intended. :)

with 3 games consoles in the house, 3 PC's, a netbook and mobile with wifi it gets consistently used up every month, you'd be surprised how easily it goes when they count what you upload as well as what you download.

it's just like a credit card limit though, i always see it as more of a target then a limit. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 569 ✭✭✭none

Just saw the Asus netbook deal, look cool:) Does UPC provide broadband and phone services in Dun Laoghaire? Their site claims no.

none wrote: »
    Just saw the Asus netbook deal, look cool:) Does UPC provide broadband and phone services in Dun Laoghaire? Their site claims no.
    i'd imagine their site speaketh the truth(eth), but give them a ring and see what they say.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭Heisenberg1

You should give them a ring to check I notice
    that KN networks is doing alot of work for them
    in your area only a matter of time before you have
    it.

• Advertisement

luzon wrote: »
    You should give them a ring to check I notice
    that KN networks is doing alot of work for them
    in your area only a matter of time before you have
    it.
    Bill-e wrote: »
    ...their sales people will tell you what ever you want to hear just to get you to sign on the dotted line, even if it pure lies.

That's why I prefer to ask real people rather than their customer service;) And by the way, I can't see that Asus netbook on http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

I'm currently with eircom broadband and was thinking about switching over.
    Can anyone tell me if I will have to give eircom back their wireless modem or pay for it if I don't send it back?

And by the way, I can't see that Asus netbook on http://www.carphonewarehouse.ie/.
    me neither, but i did see posters in the windows in their blanch shopping centre store so it's definitely on.

weird that it's not on their site though.
    ollieo wrote: »
    I'm currently with eircom broadband and was thinking about switching over.
    Can anyone tell me if I will have to give eircom back their wireless modem or pay for it if I don't send it back?
    it might depend on how long you've had it, i'm not sure what their deal is on ownsership of the hardware, but it's not going to be any good to you if you have a cable broadband connection because it won't work.

in any case, assuming you sign up for the 10 or 20mbps UPC broadband packages, they give you a free wifi cable broadband modem to use anyway which is of similar standard to the eircom one, i.e. not exactly gonna blow your skirt up with it's features, but it gets the job done for most people.

• Registered Users Posts: 236 ✭✭ollieo

Thanks for that I'll be sending it back so if it doesn't work with cable broadband.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭madmoe

Hi lads, anyone know what the exact model of the laptop is?

it's a netbook, not a laptop. ;)

it's actually whatever you want it to be.

you can either choose the bottom end Asus EeePC laptop worth (allegedly) 250 euro for 1 euro or take 249 euro off any carphone warehouse laptop as an altenative.

did you see the PDF that DingDong posted on page 1 of this thread?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

vibe666 wrote: »
    it's a netbook, not a laptop. ;)

it's actually whatever you want it to be.

you can either choose the bottom end Asus EeePC laptop worth (allegedly) 250 euro for 1 euro or take 249 euro off any carphone warehouse laptop as an altenative.

did you see the PDF that DingDong posted on page 1 of this thread?
    At least I didn't call it a labtop :D

Must look at that PDF. What is the cheapest bundle to get to be able to qualify for this?

bundles don't matter as long as you sign up for the 20mbps broadband, that's the only qualifying product.

i.e. if you got 10mbps broadband, the full TV and phone, you wouldn't qualify, but if you get the 20mbps broadband on it's own, you do.

Thanx mate.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,438 ✭✭✭DingDong

There is a few way to qualify

1: 20Mbps Broadband package

2: 3 or 10 or 20Mbps Broadband and Digital TV

3: 1, 3, 10 or 20Mbps Broadband, Digital TV and Fixed Line telephone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

DingDong wrote: »
    There is a few way to qualify

1: 20Mbps Broadband package

2: 3 or 10 or 20Mbps Broadband and Digital TV

3: 1, 3, 10 or 20Mbps Broadband, Digital TV and Fixed Line telephone.
    I was about to say the same, vibe666 was a tad incorrect.
    UPC wrote:
    To be eligible for this offer you must purchase our standalone 20Mb Broadband Ultra service or, if you live in an area where only TV and Broadband are available, Digital TV and Broadband (any packs) , if you live in an area where TV, Broadband and Home Phone are available, Digital TV, Broadband and Home Phone (any packs).
    http://www.upc.ie/netbookoffer/

Even better, cheers lads. Kinda annoying they charge you €6 if you want the broadband only.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

madmoe wrote: »
    Even better, cheers lads. Kinda annoying they charge you €6 if you want the broadband only.....
    A lot of companies pull the same lark. Ah well sure!

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,848 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

madmoe wrote: »

Better then Eircom charging you €25 for line rental.

Think of it more as a €6 discount if you get more then one product, then the other way around.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    I was about to say the same, vibe666 was a tad incorrect.
    indded it was, apologies, i mis-read the details of the offer. :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 47 vjoc

Per advertisement...

*Asus Netbook €1 offer only available with purchase of:

1) Chorus ntl 20Mbps Broadband only package

2) 3Mbps to 20Mbps Dual Play Broadband and Digital TV

3) 3Mbps to 20Mbps triple play Chorus ntl package (Broadband,
    Digital TV and Fixed line telephone).

This offer is not available on 1,3,10Mbps Chorus ntl broadband-only packages.

As a current UPC Digital TV customer, there is no mention of Dual Play Broadband and Telephone, as to whether it qualifies?

I assume an existing customer would still qualify with the 20MB Broadband only package?

Anybody able to enlighten me?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,583 ✭✭✭jaykay74

vjoc wrote: »
    Per advertisement...

*Asus Netbook €1 offer only available with purchase of:

1) Chorus ntl 20Mbps Broadband only package

2) 3Mbps to 20Mbps Dual Play Broadband and Digital TV

3) 3Mbps to 20Mbps triple play Chorus ntl package (Broadband,
    Digital TV and Fixed line telephone).

This offer is not available on 1,3,10Mbps Chorus ntl broadband-only packages.

As a current UPC Digital TV customer, there is no mention of Dual Play Broadband and Telephone, as to whether it qualifies?

I assume an existing customer would still qualify with the 20MB Broadband only package?

Anybody able to enlighten me?

I'm in the same boat as you (existing tv customer). Its says above "with the purchase of" so I'm guessing our existing upc tv sub is of no use to us leaving only the purchase of 20mb broadband the only way of availing of the offer.

The 20Mb is 10 euro more than the 10mb. You can downgrade the service after 4 months back to 10mb so the cost to you is 10 euro x 4 months plus 10 euro downgrade charge. 50 euro and for that you get netbook for 1 euro. Thats about the best you can do I think.
    • €10 downgrade administration fee applies anytime you downgrade any element of your service.
    • If you downgrade a 10Mb or 20Mb broadband service within the first 4 months of installation you will be charged the €49.99 installation fee for the wireless router.

DingDong wrote: »
    skelliser If you do decide to go for the BB,TV and phone package, you will be eligible to get a laptop(Asus EEEPC Netbook ) for €1. You do have to make your order through carphone warehouse though. Even if you just go for the 20Mb BB alone you can get the laptop for €1.
    http://www.upc.ie/netbookoffer/

The special offer has been extended due to popular demand and now ends on 31 December 2009.

I'm now considering it seriously myself as they confirmed Phone/Internet availability for Dun Laoghaire:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭moonboy52

Guys no-one should be going over the fair usage policy limit.

Buy a router which is dd-wrt / tomato firmware capable and it will have a built in download meter.

Perfect for people with multiple clients on-the-go.

Problem solved.

Advertisement