Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Does the EU have a secret deal with our government?

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,831 ✭✭✭Torakx

King Mob wrote: »
    So what you're saying is that I shouldn't base my decision on this treaty on solid verifiable facts but rather on the fear that there might be a vast global conspiracy?

How is this not scaremongering exactly?

well all i can say is its scary stuff that is happening.
    if telling the truth as i see it is scary then im sorry.
    As i see it comes from watching the political process in america and europe.
    america is alot easier to follow because its basically more exsposed and in the media.

for example.
    take a look at the monetary system and how it was set up in america around the same time lincon i think it was,had been trying to bring out an independant currency called the greenback iirc.

this info is easy to see and they way the monetary system works has been exsposed recently.
    if you want to help gain more votes for lisbon i emplore you to show me these other ones are fake.like zietgeists explanation for the monetary system.or even the one in the recent thread on this forums.

because it these things that show me how the governments of this world really work.
    do you not think ireland and europe might also be like this?
    or is it just america that has a corrupt monetary system?
    i tried to find out how the central bank of europe works but my research was not very good and i had trouble finding the rright info to show me exactly how it works in ireland and europe.

helping us here understand how it works might help your cause should you have one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭4gun

Except the main reasons people voted no have been addressed.
    This was the negotiation part.

that your intreptation or the reason for a second referendum?... or the government! no
    were we not always thaught that no, means NO!!

And in the length of this thread and others no one has been able to actually point out anything bad in the Lisbon Treaty.
    the end of our own constitution
    Dail demoted to nothing more than a regional council
    our laws coming direct from Brussels
    In 1916 people fought for our Independance from what was then a superstate, aka the Brittish Empire and now we just sign it away at the stroke of a pen

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,980 ✭✭✭meglome

4gun wrote: »
    the end of our own constitution
    Dail demoted to nothing more than a regional council
    In 1916 people fought for our Independance from what was then a superstate, aka the Brittish Empire and now we just sign it away at the stroke of a pen

Now as we keep saying Lisbon is a legal document, which personally I've taken the time to read (the condensed version anyway). As it's a legal document all these things you say should be in it, but I can't find them. So for all I know you are some right wing British or American nutbag who wants to wreck the EU as you hate democracy. Now I'm not saying you are but the easy way to show everyone you are genuine is to show the parts of this legal document that contain what you are saying. Now I'm assuming since you appear to be so sure showing us should be simple, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭samson09

Have any of ye seen this by any chance?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=djQVNHru9LU&feature=related

Marta Andreasen speaks on the Lisbon Treaty, and her experience as chief accountant in the EU. She was suspended for whistleblowing and suggesting reforms.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

Already happens, care to point out ones we didn't agree to?

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

samson09 wrote: »

Marta Andreasen speaks on the Lisbon Treaty, and her experience as chief accountant in the EU. She was suspended for whistleblowing and suggesting reforms.

I don't know the lady, maybe a lot of what she says is true, I have no idea. However she is a member of the UK independence party, UKIP and I've never known myself to agree with them on anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭Black Uhlan

So what you're saying is that I shouldn't base my decision on this treaty on solid verifiable facts but rather on the fear that there might be a vast global conspiracy?

How is this not scaremongering exactly?

Seems to me that you would have gone along with Hitler's enabling act too if you had of been around in 1933. It was used as a jumping board by corrupt people.

meglome wrote: »
    Now as we keep saying Lisbon is a legal document, which personally I've taken the time to read (the condensed version anyway). As it's a legal document all these things you say should be in it, but I can't find them. So for all I know you are some right wing British or American nutbag who wants to wreck the EU as you hate democracy. Now I'm not saying you are but the easy way to show everyone you are genuine is to show the parts of this legal document that contain what you are saying. Now I'm assuming since you appear to be so sure showing us should be simple, right?
    Ok I'll tell you what give me the link that contains the threaty in its entirety, i''l promise that I'll read it through and through and if what you say is true well i'll vote yes
    by the way I'm all for democracy and believe it or not I voted yes to both Masstricht and Nice

I don't know the lady, maybe a lot of what she says is true, I have no idea. However she is a member of the UK independence party, UKIP and I've never known myself to agree with them on anything.

So rather than tackle the question of the incompetence of the dearly beloved EU (Just to make it clear she was doing her job properly, she raised valid concerns, for your sake, my sake and everyone elses sake and then was fired) what you choose to focus on is her political allegiances which is of no relevance and if you agree with her on, which is of even less relevance.

These are some of the better articles I found if anyone care to read them.
    The eugenic-inspired militarization of the EU is a threat to aspirations for world peace
    http://www.agoracosmopolitan.com/home/Frontpage/2008/03/29/02307.html

Against the Lisbon Treaty
    There is an idea abroad, especially in North America, that the European Union represents a progressive alternative to U.S.-sponsored neoliberalism. This argument can be found in numerous books and has even been echoed in numerous left-leaning journals. However, according to this expert in international relations and diplomacy, nothing could be further from the truth and he tells us why.
    http://www.voltairenet.org/article161415.html

A broad range of campaigns and coalitions in many member states of the EU
    http://www.irish-friends-vote-no-for-me.org/index.php?set_language=en&cccpage=criticism

New laws psychopaths would be proud of
    http://www.wiseupjournal.com/?p=984

13 Critical Lisbon Treaty Facts - Must Read *

http://www.wiseupjournal.com/?p=991

http://www.betterthanlisbon.org/index.html

If this was the only reason to vote Yes to Lisbon you'd have a point. But nearly all of our political parties, academics, unions, media, business leaders all want a Yes to Lisbon. Plus we can all go and read it so there's no need to believe anyone. Why don't you go read it?

Our Political system is badly set up who believes that we really have an opposition
    Which acedemics
    From what i've seen the Unions that are pro lisbon usually have large quantities of civil servants in their ranks and woul of course support a super bureaucracy
    the media are supposed to be impartial I thought
    Business Leaders well they will just get richer big business anyway
    They have indeed. Who did you vote for?
    Any one that speaks their own mind

I'm sorry but voting against the EU(Lisbon) because we don't like our government is really stupid and pointless. The EU have given us €41 billion and not once has it tired to make us do anything we didn't want. Why are you so against them?
    I vote no last time because lisbon is just a step too far too soon there are just too many grey areas to it too many evaded questions

• Advertisement

13 Critical Lisbon Treaty Facts - Must Read *

http://www.wiseupjournal.com/?p=991

Already been debated on the actual EU Forum. Most are lies or misrepresentations.

COIR, the Catholic fundamentalists use the same points.

PS. Do a little research on Mr. Coughlan to see what he is about.

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

K-9 wrote: »
    Already been debated on the actual EU Forum. Most are lies or misrepresentations.
    According to you but then you would say that
    you try and imply that there is something wrong with any one opposed to lisbon
    if Lisbon had real justification you would not need to do that.. would you?

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭samson09

Ok, I'm tired so maybe I'm not looking at this properly, but what the f**k did Mary McAlese and Mary Harney do back in November last year. Maybe I wasnt paying attention to the news but I cant remember reading about this:

http://www.imt.ie/news/2008/10/emergency_law_tonight_on_psych.html

They basically passed a bill where they can tell someone they're crazy, lock them away and there's F.A. you can do about it. Am I right? Seriously, wtf?!

And there's that other piece of "GANGLAND LEGISLATION" that allows a group of 3 or more people to be treated as a gang and fleeced of basic rights, such as the right to privacy and the right to a trial by jury.

We should be keeping an eye closer to home, I know Lisbon and everything in the bigger picture is important but we cant ignore whats going on in our own back gardens.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭bustertherat

I fully support a Europe of Independent Democratic Co-Operating Nation States as what the Common Market started out to be when we joined in 1973.

I totally oppose an orwellian superstate with its own battle group which is exactly what lisbon is setting up the EU to be.

Only half of the booklet, three pages, is devoted to some of the changes that would be made by the Lisbon Treaty, while the remaining three pages are given over to the Government’s “assurances”, even though they form no part of the Treaty (In otherwords padding)

The booklet makes absolutely no attempt to inform people how the Irish Constitution would be affected by the proposed Constitutional Amendment, as is required by the terms of the Referendum Act:
    For example, that Lisbon would establish a constitutionally new European Union, with its own legal personality, which would be separate from and superior to its Member States for the first time, as is evident from the second and third sentences of the proposed Amendment above; that this post-Lisbon Union would replace the existing European Community which Ireland joined in 1973 and which would go out of legal existence; that this post-Lisbon EU would make well over half our laws each year, would sign Treaties with other States in all areas of its powers, would have its own diplomatic service and voice at the United Nations and conduct itself as a State in the international community of States etc.

There is no attempt to tell people that they would be given a real “additional” citizenship of this Federal State-like entity, on top of their national citizenship, instead of the purely symbolical and notional EU “citizenship” of today, which is stated under the current Treaties to be “complementary” to national citizenship - a legally meaningless term. Being given an “additional” citizenship is no small matter, for one can only be a citizen of a State and all States must have citizens Š Or that this citizenship would entail EU citizens’ rights and duties vis-a-vis the post-Lisbon European Union, which would be superior to one’s rights and duties as an Irish citizen in any case of conflict between the two, with the many implications of such a major constitutional change.

http://www.nationalplatform.org/

Run to the hills, you sir are my favourite person on boards.ie!!!!

Would the Irish people please wake up....Lisbon is the finally step towards totalitarianism!!!!

would you also believe the pro lisbon mods banned me from the EU forum for expressing my anti lisbon opinion!!!how does that not surprise me!!!

According to you but then you would say that
    you try and imply that there is something wrong with any one opposed to lisbon
    if Lisbon had real justification you would not need to do that.. would you?

No, read the specific quote again.

Stop putting words in my mouth.

To use your debating tactic, why assume my motives are wrong?

What I would do is enter the 13 points in Google and see why people argue against them. See if the 13 points are true or not!

Fair?

Why assume the wiseupjournal or Mr. Coughlan is correct because they agree with my world view?

Ok I'll tell you what give me the link that contains the threaty in its entirety, i''l promise that I'll read it through and through and if what you say is true well i'll vote yes
    by the way I'm all for democracy and believe it or not I voted yes to both Masstricht and Nice

Fair play to you. It's very easy for a lot of people in here to say what they want as they don't have to prove it. In Lisbon there's no doubt that we share more powers with the EU. But personally I'm of the opinion that the EU have not steered us wrong and have never pushed anything on us. Run to da hills for all his talk has failed to come up with one thing, not one thing, since 1975 that the EU have even attempted to make us do.

And considering what a balls our own government have made of things you'd have to wonder if this supposed 'loss of sovereignty' would really be a problem.

http://www.lisbontreaty.ie/guide/lisbon-treaty-guide-english.pdf

Or for a more in-depth read.
    http://www.lisbontreaty.ie/documents/WhitePaper_English.pdf

Or the consolidated treaty
    http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cmsUpload/st06655-re01.en08.pdf
    Or in Irish
    http://www.consilium.europa.eu/uedocs/cmsUpload/st06655-re01.ga08.pdf

And I've attached a direct response (not sure who wrote it) to these 13 reasons to vote No to Lisbon liked about. It uses the sections from the treaty to explain.

Not exactly light reading, but then what legal documents are.

Would the Irish people please wake up....Lisbon is the finally step towards totalitarianism!!!!

Yawn... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I read up on Lisbon and if I even suspected this was true I'd be the first in the door to vote No but since it's crap I'll still be voting Yes.
    would you also believe the pro lisbon mods banned me from the EU forum for expressing my anti lisbon opinion!!!how does that not surprise me!!!

They banned you for saying things you couldn't supply any evidence for. I think we call it making stuff up round my way.

Seems to me that you would have gone along with Hitler's enabling act too if you had of been around in 1933. It was used as a jumping board by corrupt people.

Of course because we see nothing wrong with a treaty that you haven't bothered to read we're obviously Nazis. Sweet Jesus.

Just started reading your doc. havent got through much of it yet, but the first point that stands out is about these guarantees that have been sought since the last referendum...there is only a promise that after the referendum has been passed that these issues will be addressed, there is no legal document as such in existance at the moment
    So for the moment we have a "promise from politicians" that that this blank document will be legally binding after the next treaty due in 2011 or so.
    why can't this be drafted before the vote
    Nothing has been writen down other wise Brian Clowen would be waving it all over the news
    anyway on with the reading..

• Advertisement

article 16
    the 15 states that want to form a blocking "party "(for want of a better word) will have to have a population greater than or equall to 65% of the total EU population
    Will the 15 smaller states be able to achieve this if the event arises so babed on this it would be easier for the larger countries to pass legislation based on their majority of population and sometimes whats good for larger states is not necessarily good for smaller ones

I couldn't see anything wrong with article 79
    Ireland has a fairly open immagration policy anyway nothing wrong with that
    back to reading..

article 311
    Is this putting a "federal" tax on us
    if we are taxed anymore in Ireland workers will demand higher wages.. etc bla bla uncompetitive economy .. you get the drift ...no more taxes
    now if it proposed a standard total percentage across the whole union our taxes will decrease because the germans and french etc. will refuse to pay a whole pile more than what they pay now but it doesn't appear to say that, so Id say it's a federal tax and not good for Ireland

article 206
    will Ireland have a permanant seat on the European Council if they have, then OK and this will stay at 27 members or increase as the EU expands

. Run to da hills for all his talk has failed to come up with one thing, not one thing, since 1975 that the EU have even attempted to make us do.

There are too many things to mention.
    "Thus Community law (EU LAW) takes precedence over all national laws including the Constitution. "
    http://ec.europa.eu/civiljustice/legal_order/legal_order_ire_en.htm
    you'd have to wonder if this supposed 'loss of sovereignty' would really be a problem.

Says it all right there as far as I am concerned.

Of course because we see nothing wrong with a treaty that you haven't bothered to read we're obviously Nazis. Sweet Jesus.

Typically patronising comment. If you could PLEASE try to see past your own prejudices for just a minute could you please tell me why you assume that I haven't read it?

Is it because unlike some I don't start every ****ing post "having read the treaty..."

PLEASE; PLEASE tell me why you make the baseless assumption that I haven't read it. Is it because I fall on the no side? Because if it was it shows your prejudice.

As for the enabling act comment I never suggested you were Nazis, so please don't put words in my mouth. What I was suggesting was that the Enabling act was passed through "democratically" in Germany and the document itself did not mention the setting up of a racist, totalaterran dictatorship that would result in millions and millions of lives lost. But it was used/abused to facilitate all of this much like any power in the hands of the corrupt can.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,247 ✭✭✭✭6th

Grow up.
    Run to the hills, you sir are my favourite person on boards.ie!!!!

Bring in issues from other forums again and you'll be banned from this one too. Please respect this forum.
    Yawn... zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

I read up on Lisbon and if I even suspected this was true I'd be the first in the door to vote No but since it's crap I'll still be voting Yes.

They banned you for saying things you couldn't supply any evidence for. I think we call it making stuff up round my way.

Cop on and stop baiting.

Seriously folks I see more maturity when dealing with my kids.

• Advertisement

Just started reading your doc. havent got through much of it yet, but the first point that stands out is about these guarantees that have been sought since the last referendum...there is only a promise that after the referendum has been passed that these issues will be addressed, there is no legal document as such in existance at the moment
    So for the moment we have a "promise from politicians" that that this blank document will be legally binding after the next treaty due in 2011 or so.
    Nothing has been writen down other wise Brian Clowen would be waving it all over the news

As far as I know any or all of these promises can be overuled by the ECJ anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 862 ✭✭✭constance tench

samson09 wrote: »

[/]
    this certainly confirms my suspicions, no separation of powers=no democracy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Name just one thing the EU has forced anyone in the EU to do?
    More light bulbs being banned across the EU this time spotter and downlight. This is pointless unless they can come up with a good alternitive to these deadly devices. This move is another example of European bureaucracy interfering in the lives of ordinary people.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/6142118/Spotlight-and-downlighter-bulbs-next-to-be-banned-by-EU.html

6th wrote: »
    Grow up.

Bring in issues from other forums again and you'll be banned from this one too. Please respect this forum.

some chap posted a comment on another forum that I subscribe to relating to a topic that I posted on this form mods there didn't do much about it
    I wouldn't mind so much but the other forum in question isn't even political
    But I suppose we all take sides:D

That's a fair point. The EU spent the best part of 10 years negotiating the Lisbon treaty so to make unnecessary changes to it would be a big job and might takes years. And in fairness most of the guarantees are saying that our issues are not things that even exist in treaty in the first place. So they've created these legally binding guarantees that will be lodged with the UN and will be added to any future treaty. Many No campaigners will say these guarantees are not binding but what I'd point out is the EU has never gone back on a deal since we joined in 1973. Actions speak louder than words if you ask me.

• Advertisement

More light bulbs being banned across the EU this time spotter and downlight. This is pointless unless they can come up with a good alternitive. This move is another example of European bureaucracy interfering in the lives of ordinary people.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/retailandconsumer/6142118/Spotlight-and-downlighter-bulbs-next-to-be-banned-by-EU.html

Is does get old repeating myself but the EU did force any country to get rid of these bulbs. These last years longer and use less power.

And what is that rubbish that you have in your signature. How could Spain voting Yes to the old EU constitution that was never brought into law cause unemployment? That really really makes no sense. Care to explain?

Typically patronising comment. If you could PLEASE try to see past your own prejudices for just a minute could you please tell me why you assume that I haven't read it?

Is it because unlike some I don't start every ****ing post "having read the treaty..."

PLEASE; PLEASE tell me why you make the baseless assumption that I haven't read it. Is it because I fall on the no side? Because if it was it shows your prejudice.

You're absolutely right I made assumptions. So just give me the parts of the treaty you don't like.
    As for the enabling act comment I never suggested you were Nazis, so please don't put words in my mouth. What I was suggesting was that the Enabling act was passed through "democratically" in Germany and the document itself did not mention the setting up of a racist, totalaterran dictatorship that would result in millions and millions of lives lost. But it was used/abused to facilitate all of this much like any power in the hands of the corrupt can.

You implied I was a Nazi and then you say I'm patronising. :( Why don't you show us the sections of the treaty that would do any of this?

That's a fair point. The EU spent the best part of 10 years negotiating the Lisbon treaty so to make unnecessary changes to it would be a big job and might takes years. And in fairness most of the guarantees are saying that our issues are not things that even exist in treaty in the first place. So they've created these legally binding guarantees that will be lodged with the UN and will be added to any future treaty. Many No campaigners will say these guarantees are not binding but what I'd point out is the EU has never gone back on a deal since we joined in 1973. Actions speak louder than words if you ask me.

yes but I think this lodgement is to take place the treaty has been ratified so at the moment we have only got pre-referendum promises from politicians and can you seriously tell me that you trust politicans when they promis something before the vote
    again it comes down to trust, and I think Irish people are no longer willing to trust our leaders so the harder they push on it the greater the resistance

You're absolutely right I made assumptions. So just give me the parts of the treaty you don't like.

Your just repeating what I said. I know you made assumptions, I pointed this out to you. What I asked you and what you have failed to answer is what your assumption was based upon.

So I will ask you again. Why did you assume I did not ready the treaty? was it prejudice against no voters (which I may or may not be) or something else.

You implied I was a Nazi and then you say I'm patronising. :( Why don't you show us the sections of the treaty that would do any of this?

1. I wasn't even speaking to you in the first instance, so you should retract that.

2. I never implied anyone was a Nazi. I compared the Enabling Act to the Lisbon Treaty. Unless you have some kind of private relationship with the treaty this should not cause you any offence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Is does get old repeating myself but the EU did force any country to get rid of these bulbs. These last years longer and use less power.
    They are also far more dangerous to the environment, they give off a pathetic quality of light compared to an incandescent bulb of similar size and they can take a long time to stitch on. For very short durations such as bathrooms and apartment landings incandescent bulbs are more efficient.

And what is that rubbish that you have in your signature. How could Spain voting Yes to the old EU constitution that was never brought into law cause unemployment? That really really makes no sense. Care to explain?
    Its no different to the deceptive lies contained in the YES posters. Claiming Lisbon will help employment when in fact it will kill off employment. With the abolishment of Irish honeymoon capital tax incentives what foreign multinational will want to set up here? . It wall also flood the country with more cheap foreign labour than ever and allow contractors take in labour from abroad and pay them their home rates.

The only reason Ryanair and Intel are canvessing for a YES vote is to avail of more cheap foreign labour on an open market that will cut their running costs

Spain ratified the Lisbon Treaty in July 2008 unemployment has more than doubled since then and I am not telling lies about it. .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

Guys - I'm getting fed up telling you in thread after thread that this is not the politics forum.

Either discuss the conspiracy-related aspects the OP brought up, or leave the thread.

bonkey wrote: »
    Guys - I'm getting fed up telling you in thread after thread that this is not the politics forum.

Either discuss the conspiracy-related aspects the OP brought up, or leave the thread.

politics and conspiracy theories are the same thing because all politicians conspire to decieve the electorate
    say what it takes to get in to power, and say what it takes to stay in power,
    this is the primary concern of any politician if it wasn't they'd soon be out of a job

Asking for the 3rd time here

So I will ask you again. Why did you assume I did not ready the treaty? was it prejudice against no voters (which I may or may not be) or something else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,443 ✭✭✭✭bonkey

I don't see the relevance of continued badgering to the discussion at hand.

You've made your point. If you want to discuss this point further with meglome, do so via PM.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,704 ✭✭✭squod

I remember that too and if they want to they can vote No again. Isn't having more democratic votes more democratic.

You know you could have a point there, what if we vote yes next time. What'll it be, best out of three? Five in a row or bi-annual vote, just in case we change our minds?

The cost of all this nonsense is huge, and we're not in a position to afford it.
    Voting again on Lisbon makes no sense to anyone, most people in Europe would probably vote no if they had the chance to.

• Advertisement

squod wrote: »
    You know you could have a point there, what if we vote yes next time. What'll it be, best out of three? Five in a row or bi-annual vote, just in case we change our minds?

The cost of all this nonsense is huge, and we're not in a position to afford it.
    Voting again on Lisbon makes no sense to anyone, most people in Europe would probably vote no if they had the chance to.

I'd be happy to respond but this isn't the place for it. But feel free to post in the politics (European union) forum and I will.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,424 ✭✭✭✭The_Kew_Tour

In response to OP yes i do I think every Government has favours be gained from it

In response to OP yes i do I think every Government has favours be gained from it

I'd say that every country has favours to gain from it. I hate our government but the EU has been great for Ireland.

Advertisement